Has anyone built the new 11.5" Cowabunga Mammoth yet?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan

Reaction score
It's been on the Madcow website for almost a year but I haven't seen any discussion about it. Has anyone built one yet? I'm thinking about it . . .

Go for it Nathan, it would be awesome. I looked at the kit on display during LDRS last April.

I want one. Hard to justify to the wife since I had to spend a lot to rebuild the F200. Might hang in there till next Black Friday and see if there is another 25% off sale.

It's been on the Madcow website for almost a year but I haven't seen any discussion about it. Has anyone built one yet? I'm thinking about it . . .

Nathan, how many months of wet sanding would a rocket of that size require to get one of your famous finishes?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Go for it Nathan, it would be awesome. I looked at the kit on display during LDRS last April.

I think I will. But I'm already just now starting on a 6 foot tall replica of Tom Cohen's big square rocket. So it might have to wait on the build pile for a while. Since apparently nobody here has built a Cowabunga Mammoth yet I guess I should do another build thread.

I want one. Hard to justify to the wife since I had to spend a lot to rebuild the F200. Might hang in there till next Black Friday and see if there is another 25% off sale.

The stock market has been very good to me this year. :)

Would you go with the standard "cow" paint job or do your own thing?

Definitely it would need a custom paint job.

Nathan, how many months of wet sanding would a rocket of that size require to get one of your famous finishes?

It's only about 8 feet tall so without doing the math I'm guessing that it has about the same surface area as my upscale Frenzy which is 13'6". That took several weeks of wet sanding. But polishing a big rocket is actually pretty quick and easy because I use a power polisher.

Last edited:
I think I will. But I'm already just now starting on a 6 foot tall replica of Tom Cohen's big square rocket. So it might have to wait on the build pile for a while. Since apparently nobody here has built a Cowabunga Mammoth yet I guess I should do another build thread.

The stock market has been very good to me this year. :)

Definitely it would need a custom paint job.

It's only about 8 feet tall so without doing the math I'm guessing that it has about the same surface area as my upscale Frenzy which is 13'6". That took several weeks of wet sanding. But polishing a big rocket is actually pretty quick and easy because I use a power polisher.

Nathan, I give you credit- I would never have the patience nor technique to do that. I am sure it will be gorgeous when done though.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

What are you using for the square tubes?

I'm designing it as a 4x upscale of the mini Higgs Farm rocket. It will be a 4" fiberglass rocket with plywood on the outside. I'm still trying to figure out how to build the nose cone.

Copper plate barn silo look? I have no idea what you mean by farm rocket.

I'm designing it as a 4x upscale of the mini Higgs Farm rocket. It will be a 4" fiberglass rocket with plywood on the outside. I'm still trying to figure out how to build the nose cone.

I would think that foam board covered in fiberglass similar to the way the mini is built would work well.

I did a pyramid nose "cone" for my square rocket, also a 4". It only has a 54mm motor mount because I'm a wimp like that. :) Build thread here, with some pictures of the nose cone assembly at post #38. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...esn-t-quite-fit-in/page2&highlight=dimetrodon The Higgs Farm shape is a little harder, but could be done with similar techniques.

Nathan, you might want to talk to Tom about what he learned regarding altimeter port holes in square rockets. When the Higgs rocket was new, we had the NC blow off on the pad when Tom opened his bay door. He asked around and ended up making some changes to his port size and location, and it hasn't happened since.

Just ordered the kit!

Madcow only charged me $5.99 shipping. I think that might be a mistake since this is a 40 lb, 8 foot rocket which I'm sure is going to ship in a big box.

Just ordered the kit!

Madcow only charged me $5.99 shipping. I think that might be a mistake since this is a 40 lb, 8 foot rocket which I'm sure is going to ship in a big box.

Last I knew Madcow was doing flat rate shipping... at least they used to.

Cool. I've paid a higher shipping charge that that just to buy a handful of bolts.

That is steal if they ship the mega cow for flat fee. Thanks much Mad Cow.

Ha, easy come, easy go. The Cowabunga build hasn't started yet, don't have all the parts yet. Plus I'm working on another HPR build now already. I'll do a build thread when I start working on it.

Back