Aerogloss Sanding Sealer Over CA?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFeller

Reaction score
Can I safely apply Aerogloss sanding sealer over CA-soaked balsa?

I soaked a balsa nosecone (for my son's Semroc Texas Firefly) in thin CA, sanded, and applied a second coat. It has sanded out fairly nice, but I feel like it could be smoother. Aerogloss is easier to apply/sand, so I was thinking about switching to it before primer.

I don't think it would stick very well but I don't think it would hurt to try. You might want to rough it up with coarse grit paper. My concern is the color coat would
chip easily. Kurt

That is what I was kind of thinking. It might be worth a try, worst case is I sand it all off.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Last nosecone I did I applied thinned CWF over the CA coat. I only tried it because others had suggested it. It seemed to stick well enough but honestly I don't know why. Did a perfect job of filling in some little pits that remained. A coat of filler primer sanded down and the end result came out pretty good. I can't say if this is a recommended technique or not.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1470684354.406658.jpg

I like the hardness I get from CAing the balsa but really do not like sanding it.

Back