Estes Super Big Bertha re-boot

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son's Super Big Bertha about to take its first (and so far only) flight. Gotta love the long,slow burn of an F15-8SBB.jpg
We used a Jolly Logic and picked it up after a short walk.

Super Big Bertha presented to astronaut, climber and model rocketeer Scott Parazynski by James Duffy at NARCON on Saturday night. A little later Dr. Parazynski was signing copies of his book called "The Sky Below" (we all got one at the banquet). Second picture is the model, Dr. Parazynski and Gleda Estes near the signing table. (I just took a picture while they were posing for someone else.)

IMG_9484.jpg

IMG_9487.jpg

Super Big Bertha presented to astronaut, climber and model rocketeer Scott Parazynski at NARCON on Saturday night. A little later Dr. Parazynski was signing copies of his book called "The Sky Below" (we all got one at the banquet). Second picture is the model, Dr. Parazynski and Gleda Estes near the signing table. (I just took a picture while they were posing for someone else.)

That's a sweet paint scheme.

Super Big Bertha presented to astronaut, climber and model rocketeer Scott Parazynski by James Duffy at NARCON on Saturday night. A little later Dr. Parazynski was signing copies of his book called "The Sky Below" (we all got one at the banquet). Second picture is the model, Dr. Parazynski and Gleda Estes near the signing table. (I just took a picture while they were posing for someone else.)

This was a fun build. Here are a couple of shots of the Bertha as the decals were being installed. The eight fin face markings consist of Parazynski's five shuttle mission patches, the NASA meatball, NAR logo, and NARCON 2018 logo.

I'm told Scott's jaw dropped when I handed him the model, but I was a little too close to the situation to fully appreciate his reaction.

James
IMG_3006.jpgIMG_3007.jpg

James, were you the one who built Scott’s rocket?

And, yes, it was ABSOLUTELY CLEAR that this was one of the more meaningful “plaques” he has ever gotten. He was nearly speechless.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back