Estes Sonic Igniters in Loki?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well now I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into the mix....Lol
I think you may have read [or I PM'd you] where I am working on a low current version for staging.

I have some 40ga. nichrome, same as what used in low current E-matches. So far the proto's have been looking good. I solder the 40 ga. bridge wire and cast BKNO3 pyrogen around it...JUST LIKE motor starter version [32 ga. 12 volt]

The results are looking up, BUT they light, a bit slower than I wish due to being cast in epoxy. Pure BKNO3 compressed is instant, but I have yet to figure how to compress a pellet around a wire. No easy task but I'm bound to 100% reliability before I'm happy.
These are needed for my full scale Sparrow Arcus project, as I only get 1 shot at success.

Maybe I'll do a thread of my process when I get further along, so others may use it.
Should work with any pyro, the 40ga. is the secret sauce.

Plastisol instead of epoxy?

Nope already tried a plastisol version with polyester resin.
You have to heat cure it and that means a higher ignition temp.
Not what we want. Takes several seconds to light...like 7-8.

I'm getting close with the route we're on.

Well now I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into the mix....Lol
I think you may have read [or I PM'd you] where I am working on a low current version for staging.

I have some 40ga. nichrome, same as what used in low current E-matches. So far the proto's have been looking good. I solder the 40 ga. bridge wire and cast BKNO3 pyrogen around it...JUST LIKE motor starter version [32 ga. 12 volt]

The results are looking up, BUT they light, a bit slower than I wish due to being cast in epoxy. Pure BKNO3 compressed is instant, but I have yet to figure how to compress a pellet around a wire. No easy task but I'm bound to 100% reliability before I'm happy.
These are needed for my full scale Sparrow Arcus project, as I only get 1 shot at success.

Maybe I'll do a thread of my process when I get further along, so others may use it.
Should work with any pyro, the 40ga. is the secret sauce.

What about a tablet press like the one linked below? Maybe you could notch the punch, or center drill it, to allow for the wire.

Tablet press: https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-6mm-Man...se-/253162288208?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I find that the Sonic igniters work quite well on smaller AT motors, I've used them on 24/40 reloads quite a few times in place of included Copperhead igniters or when I've had one that didn't light the 1st time on a First Fire.

don't forget that hobby lobby sells sonic igniters, use your 40% off coupon wisely!

Back