She will be rebuilt!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received the booster, MMT, CRs and fins from Madcow this morning! This rebuild will make a great winter project. Maybe I'll get inspired to do a half-build thread.

Received the booster, MMT, CRs and fins from Madcow this morning! This rebuild will make a great winter project. Maybe I'll get inspired to do a half-build thread.

Why? Unless you want to share some unique build techniques with the peanut gallery you certainly don't have to take the trouble for an L3 attempt. Kurt

Why? Unless you want to share some unique build techniques with the peanut gallery you certainly don't have to take the trouble for an L3 attempt. Kurt

Um, because I thought people liked build threads. Isn't that what we do here?

I find that every time I build a project there are a couple things I would do differently.

It lives! IT LIIIVES! :)

Glad to hear that you will rebuild, and hope to see pictures of a flight next spring.

Um, because I thought people liked build threads. Isn't that what we do here?

Sure John but how many times does one have to go through standard construction?
I mean, heck if you've got the time sure, do it. Plenty would like to see it.
If you do something different to improve the build, be sure to point that out.
Kurt

Sure John but how many times does one have to go through standard construction?
I mean, heck if you've got the time sure, do it. Plenty would like to see it.
If you do something different to improve the build, be sure to point that out.
Kurt

For those of us that watched the rocket's rapid, catastrophic disassembly, it will be encouraging to see John's rebuild thread.

In Montana we have two rocket seasons, damaging and rebuilding. I’m always interested in seeing a rocket rebuilt. It’s actually more relevant to my own personal experience. I repair much more than I build new rockets.

Steve Shannon

In Montana we have two rocket seasons, damaging and rebuilding. I’m always interested in seeing a rocket rebuilt. It’s actually more relevant to my own personal experience. I repair much more than I build new rockets.

Steve Shannon

Ditto, Trying to keep a rocket flying can be a challenge. Especially if it's cardboard! Kurt

For those of us that watched the rocket's rapid, catastrophic disassembly, it will be encouraging to see John's rebuild thread.

Thanks, Bill. Last time I built it, I did not do a build thread because I was too pressed for time. I wanted to have it ready for LDRS, and my time in the evenings after work was pretty limited.

But now that I have already done it once, I am more confident to be able to pick up the pace and have time for photographs.

Meanwhile, here is my working checklist. Let me know if anything seems amiss. Keep in mind that I am only building a booster.

1. obtain decal
  2. wash fiberglass parts
  3. sand around fin slots for fillets
  4. sand MMT
  5. sand fin tabs
  6. measure/mark for rail buttons
  7. sand inside booster (for CRs and rail buttons)
  8. check fit of fins in slots and widen if needed
  9. sand around edges of CRs (inner and outer)
  10. purchase U-bolts
  11. measure top CR for U-bolts
  12. drill for U-bolts
  13. drill all CRs for T-rods
  14. obtain three #10-24 x 36" T-rods
  15. obtain #10-24 nuts (18 minimum)
  16. obtain #10-24 washers (18 minimum)
  17. obtain ¼-20 weld nuts (2)
  18. measure for MMT with fin top/bottom and thrust plate
  19. install U-bolts
  20. install T-rods thru all CRs
  21. epoxy tops of top and middle CRs to MMT
  22. epoxy bottoms of top and middle CRs to MMT
  23. drill for rail buttons
  24. insert MMT
  25. epoxy top of top CR to booster
  26. epoxy bottom of middle CR to booster
  27. install/epoxy rail buttons
  28. install fins with root epoxy
  29. internal fin fillets, two at a time
  30. epoxy bottom CR to MMT, fins, and booster
  31. external fin fillets, two at a time
  32. install thrust plate w/retainer
  33. apply decal
  34. drill pressure vent hole
  35. measure for shear pin holes (3 or 5)
  36. drill shear pin holes (3 or 5)

I like the build threads. Most of the time I see something that makes me say why didn't I do it that way.

+1 on this point.

Also, people getting started at any level (LP, MP, HP) are going to have an easier time learning some of the typical build techniques if there are always few build threads on the first page or two of the board. You can find just about anything if you know what to search for, but that might be a bit much for people who are newer to rocketry and new to the boards. Many kits are now shipped without instructions, printed or on-line.

We all know that typical 3FNC/TTW rockets can go together the same way, but someone building their first high power fiberglass rocket might not know where to start if they were just doing Estes stuff before moving up. I know someone in that situation -- helping them along is fun for me, but it is better and more rewarding for them to learn different ways to do things and decide for themselves how they want to build their rocket.

And their catos are hysterical. :lol:

(OK, just kidding about that last part.)

Latest posts

Back