AT 38/1320 Why does this casing exist?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some other vendors don't even stock it or the hardware for it. And a Loki 38-1200 casing has more specific impulse for the money with more reload options.

We can't buy Loki in California, so we have to choose AT or CTI.

Yeah. And they should make some more reload variants for a casing in production is my two cents. Rarely does one reload cover all flight performance configurations of all rockets it fits.

Casing really deserves some plugged forward closures for electronic deployment in MD airframes, and a few reloads to support that. A 14s delay won't cover everything there will be a rocket out there that will fly higher than that delay will cover. My guess is the sales figures for this one casing suck and they've forgotten about it.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I like the casing for what it is. It has more potential than Aerotech recognizes currently, especially for flyers stuck in Loki Ban states. I may end up trying this casing and a Loki 38-1200. Right now I already have the forward and rear closures from an AT 38/480. More interested in the 38/720 and 1080 casings because they have more support is all. I'm like a freaking kid going YAWN only ONE reload? They have the propellants. Just cast a few more grains and try it.

Might take multiple I or J purchases to fill it up and void a warranty. There's a solution to the problem.

Casing really deserves some plugged forward closures for electronic deployment in MD airframes, and a few reloads to support that. A 14s delay won't cover everything there will be a rocket out there that will fly higher than that delay will cover. My guess is the sales figures for this one casing suck and they've forgotten about it.
A) plugged closures and plugged threaded closures are available and B) if you don't want the motor deployment just grease the top of the delay, fill the charge well with dog barf and tape it over.

The sequel thread to Aerotech 24/60 Why does this casing exist? There's only one load the J510-14A. Why buy a 1320 casing with only one reload?

https://www.csrocketry.com/rocket-motors/aerotech-rocketry/motors/38mm/38/1320-reloads.html

Because it is an ass kicking load. One of the bigger 38 mm motors available.

Some propellants do not scale to the length well. You need a slower propellant for this length of motor.

You really have a negative and judgmental attitude about things.

A big motor with only one load. So what? Aerotech has made that choice for now- not to say this might not change in the future though. A motor of this L/D takes some work to get working consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

because it's freaking AWESOME.

14041097201_d7180ed17c_b.jpg

17722782578_00f97c8dcc_b.jpg

At the time it was made, Loki only made the J1000LW, and the J650SF. the J650 is only 942 N/s, it's a cool effect motor but not power, and the J1000 is also great, but burns faster than the J510W. all the motors had a good place in the market.

Loki only recently released the K1127LB, the J1026LC, and the K627R. Even in that pile of motors, I think the J510W has a place. I do wish they'd stick a green in the case, but as mentioned, this case length doesn't lead itself to all propellants easily. all the Loki motors are hand cut and beveled which is time consuming. AT doesn't have the J510W glued into the liner, and uses o rings to space the grains. It'd likely take more work to get a blue or green into the case than AT is willing to spend.

AT J510W
17388369280_46c975cc9b_c.jpg

Loki K1127LB
17389613109_1c5c2c38c3_b.jpg

cases side by side-
16256676576_04cd8d9c4d_b.jpg

I also chopped the liners in half after flight. Many people report hearing "sonic booms" from J510 flights. that entire debate aside, I think it's pretty clear the motor spits casting tubes.

17688759898_7d8865812f_c.jpg

Last edited:
As for performance, they're in the same ballpark with the Loki slightly edging out the AT load. Same rocket, Same day.

17798901532_11d95ff4b0_b.jpg

The AT reported as faster, but it's an RRC3, so take it for what it's worth.

K1127LB-
17804167255_55084a14b5_b.jpg

ATJ510W
17181706004_c497ae7a34_b.jpg

"I also chopped the liners in half after flight. Many people report hearing "sonic booms" from J510 flights. that entire debate aside, I think it's pretty clear the motor spits casting tubes."

I realize you're facetious here David but for those who haven't been around as long, the act of spitting a casting tube may result in a "pop" that can be heard from the ground. Sonic booms? Again for those who are "newer"
here the shock wave goes out from the sides of the rocket and one can't hear it from the ground if the rocket is going more or less straight up.

So all you folks who are hoping to "hear" your Apogee Aspire make a pop I hate to disappoint you. Unless of course you have a total deployment failure and a ballistic descent to the ground, in that case you might hear a "WHUMP!" if it
doesn't hit too far away. Kurt

"I also chopped the liners in half after flight. Many people report hearing "sonic booms" from J510 flights. that entire debate aside, I think it's pretty clear the motor spits casting tubes."

I realize you're facetious here David but for those who haven't been around as long, the act of spitting a casting tube may result in a "pop" that can be heard from the ground. Sonic booms? Again for those who are "newer"
here the shock wave goes out from the sides of the rocket and one can't hear it from the ground if the rocket is going more or less straight up.

So all you folks who are hoping to "hear" your Apogee Aspire make a pop I hate to disappoint you. Unless of course you have a total deployment failure and a ballistic descent to the ground, in that case you might hear a "WHUMP!" if it
doesn't hit too far away. Kurt

LOL. sorry I should have been clearer. When I see these fly or fly them myself, I've heard one or more pops that I know to be the casting tube spitting out the nozzle. People have commented "hey I heard it break the sound barrier!!" No, you didn't. that 7 pound 4" rocket certainly didn't chug it's ass up to 5K at M1 lol.

I would assume so. That means you can run 6, 5, or 4 grain loads in this one case. Sounds like a deal to me.

Those are a SUPER LONG 6 grains. Not the size of the spacers. Normal 6 grain motors fit in the 720 case. (and space for 600 and 480 loads)

At best you could space this to a 1080 case, but I kinda doubt it.

LOL. sorry I should have been clearer. When I see these fly or fly them myself, I've heard one or more pops that I know to be the casting tube spitting out the nozzle. People have commented "hey I heard it break the sound barrier!!" No, you didn't. that 7 pound 4" rocket certainly didn't chug it's ass up to 5K at M1 lol.

I KNEW you knew that and that's what made me laugh harder when I read your post. Oh, nice pictures and data BTW.:) Kurt

Those are a SUPER LONG 6 grains. Not the size of the spacers. Normal 6 grain motors fit in the 720 case. (and space for 600 and 480 loads)

At best you could space this to a 1080 case, but I kinda doubt it.

I didn't know that. Thank you for the information. :)

When I was looking to set a personal altitude record of a mile high and passing Mach 1 en route with my scratch-built Mach Schnell SLK 54, I was all set to use a Loki K-627. Open Rocket predicted that motor would achieve both goals easily. Unfortunately, Loki had to withhold a batch of these (according to my supplier) due to an issue with the propellant not adhering properly to the casting tube, so I was left with only AeroTech and Cesaroni 38mm motors that looked like they might work. The only 6XL Cesaroni motor my local supplier had on hand was a slow burn Mellow Yellow that would certainly go the distance, but might not reach the speed I wanted. I reluctantly chose the limited-to-one-propellant AT J510 White Lightning motor and the 38/1320 casing as the launch date drew nearer.

The result was quite satisfying. In the most exhilarating launch I've ever done, the SLK 54 attained just over 5900 feet and, at least according to the Perfect Flite Stratologger CF, accelerated to well over Mach 1.

So yeah, the AT 38/1320 is indeed a one-trick pony. But yowsah, what a trick she can do!

Good skies,

Glueck Auf

Mach Schnell SLK54 Mile-High Mach 1 Attempt 20170423.jpg

Back