Mega Magg Build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kallahan11

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is the second of three rockets I'll be building over the winter break, and probably the first I will finish, as I have most of the parts though I am contemplating a cluster mod for this, adding 4 29's to the central 54. I've also got to put in an Ebay if I do that. I got the kit in today thanks to Wildman, which means my secret santa should be receiving their gift soon too.:wink:

Any way, here's the pic, and the RAW kit .ork I created from precision eyeball measure ments and a 1 gram precise scale.
20171215_230644.jpg
View attachment Mega Magg Raw Kit.ork

Big bits of flashing on the nose cone, but I've never seen a plastic nosecone this big either, tips of fins are a little beat up to but that will disappear under epoxy, comes with a 1/2 launch lug which I didn't even bother to put on the .ork much less the rocket. It will get conformal rails or rail buttons.

PROGRESS! sort of. I've changed things up a bit, I'm going to try adding a parachute cannon so I can dual deploy and I've cut new CR's for 4x29mm and a 54mm cluster. Plan is a beefy J motor with 4x H115 sparkies for first flight.
Any who, pictures and video, my local makerspace The Geek Group has a CNC sheet router, so I cut some bulkheads for the chute cannon, ebay and new centering rings. Only two problems, the inner centering rings are a mm to small, and the centering rings are about 2mm to big. :eyeroll:
20171227_140145.jpg20171227_192751.jpgView attachment Mega Magg modded Kit.ork

Video of centering rings being cut. give it a few minutes to finish uploading/publishing.
https://youtu.be/E5uR7Dnf2-Y

Circles can be difficult to cut if the CNC is belt driven.

Circles can be difficult to cut if the CNC is belt driven.
The jogging on the end mill is it rising to leave some tabs, which I made to big as well. That's a Hass sheet router a real piece on industrial CNC equipment, it has no problem cutting circles. They were very consistently wrong, operator error.

I have a clustered Warlock-ish rocket (54mm central w/ 2-38mm outboards) that I use a Chute Release for main deployment. It handles my 10' Rocketman chute just fine.

For my ebay, I did a donut type, and have the altimeter (RRC3) on the ebay lid. With only 3 motor tubes, I have a little more real estate than you, though.

Back