The reason my wife does not attend club launches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhein

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
No where to pee!

My wife like most women need to have a private place to answer natures call. My wife supports my hobby and has attended schoolyard launches. But when I asked her to drive out with me onto the treeless plains of northeast Colorado to spend the whole day watching me launch my L1 rockets with my club, she simply responded:

"Where am I going to pee?" "After an hour driving and couple of cups of coffee, where am I going to pee? There is not a tree or a bush in a hundred square miles"

I must admit as a guy I've never really had to deal with this problem because well...I'm a guy flying with mostly other guys...I'm sure you get the picture.

Now our club does provide porta-potties for our 3 major launches, but those are often cancelled due to dry weather and severe fire risk. The rest of the year it is each man (or woman) for themselves. Sometimes there might be someone with an RV but most of the time not.

I admit I don't have an easy solution to this problem. Thanks for reading

later
Jim

Maybe she could file a sex-discrimination suit against your club.

Seriously, though, that is a problem. We always have at least one spot-a-pot at MDRA. My wife won't come anyway, but my daughter does.

I understand completely. I talked with the guy who supplies our big launches, and a old but serviceable porta potty was $200ish and $25.00 per service. The big hurdle is where to keep it during non launch time? Out in the middle of nowhere during the off time, will it walk away??? Will winds blow it over (not cool, trust me... :puke: ) during a storm? These are just the first few questions that come to mind.
Maybe bring your own bush? :eyeroll:

Any fast food / gas station / public building within reasonable driving range? BARC in NJ has no facility, but they are five minutes from a restaurant and some gas stations.

Just tell her to man up. Then tell the dog to move over as there will be two sleeping in the doghouse tonight.

old but serviceable porta potty was $200ish and $25.00 per service. The big hurdle is where to keep it during non launch time? Out in the middle of nowhere during the off time, will it walk away??? Will winds blow it over (not cool, trust me... :puke: ) during a storm?

If you don't "service" the porta potty, eventually it will weigh enough that winds won't blow it over. Solves your problem and saves you $$$!

No where to pee!

My wife like most women need to have a private place to answer natures call. My wife supports my hobby and has attended schoolyard launches. But when I asked her to drive out with me onto the treeless plains of northeast Colorado to spend the whole day watching me launch my L1 rockets with my club, she simply responded:

"Where am I going to pee?" "After an hour driving and couple of cups of coffee, where am I going to pee? There is not a tree or a bush in a hundred square miles"

I must admit as a guy I've never really had to deal with this problem because well...I'm a guy flying with mostly other guys...I'm sure you get the picture.

Now our club does provide porta-potties for our 3 major launches, but those are often cancelled due to dry weather and severe fire risk. The rest of the year it is each man (or woman) for themselves. Sometimes there might be someone with an RV but most of the time not.

I admit I don't have an easy solution to this problem. Thanks for reading

later
Jim

My wife solved this problem by going to a local outdoor equipment store and buying a pop up tent style portable toilet. She and I donated it to our club. It worked mostly pretty well and resulted in many more ladies in attendance, except I was always the one to take the waste bag(s) home. Two years ago we (the club) finally decided we will always try to have a real porta potty at almost every launch. A local portable toilet/septic service company delivers and picks it up for $60 each launch. It’s worth it, although now my wife can’t attend anymore because she’s disabled.

Drive the car sufficiently away from anyone, open both doors on the side facing away from everyone, squat and relieve. This even works right next to a busy highway, with the doors and car maintaining dignity. My wife does not hesitate to do this if she won't make it to the next town in time. We have done a lot of outback travel.

To addd to that, I saw more people peeing on the side of the road in Connecticut in a few years that I have ever seen in Texas.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

My 8-year old son and I spent a few days tent-camping in the desert at NXRS last year. When we got home my wife took one look at us and said "We need a travel trailer, don't we?" No more using the Porta Potties at launches for her anymore...

You are all putting way too much effort into a easily solvable problem. Pee funnel. Simple. Done.

Mrs. N00b has a bladder of steel.

I have no idea how she does it. Even when we attend launches where there is no Porta-Potty (or I give up finding it), I go off two or three times to hide behind a pile of wood or stand of trees (or just far enough that the curvature of the Earth seems to be enough), while she sits comfortably all day and simply waits for us to go to dinner afterwards.

If we stay all day, we have to join the other club members still present for dinner. Anybody else do this? It's one of my favorite parts of the day. Even if I lose a few rockets, there's always fajitas or something at the end of the day. And never did I realize that washing my hands would feel so good as that first trip to the restroom back in a place where plumbing is a thing.

Anyway, my wife doesn't seem to have a problem with the peeing thing as much as I do. If I couldn't do it standing up, I would have to quit the hobby, I think!

My wife hinted that we should start taking our travel trailer to local launches if I wanted her to start going.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would attend more launches in Princeton if the club had a Potty. Its a 3.5 hr drive for me and I like to have the Wife along for company. But with no Potty even close by it just doesn't work out for her. Maybe QSRS needs a Go Me Fund for Porta Potty money.

I would attend more launches in Princeton if the club had a Potty. Its a 3.5 hr drive for me and I like to have the Wife along for company. But with no Potty even close by it just doesn't work out for her. Maybe QSRS needs a Go Me Fund for Porta Potty money.

QCRS is accepting applications currently for it’s BOD. You could run under the “we need a portapotty behind the barn” platform :)

QCRS is accepting applications currently for it’s BOD. You could run under the “we need a portapotty behind the barn” platform :)

I don't think there a lot of QCRS lady members to vote but I am sure they could get there spouse's to vote for the 2018 portapotty bill No.102CC

I don't think there a lot of QCRS lady members to vote but I am sure they could get there spouse's to vote for the 2018 portapotty bill No.102CC

This is Illinois- ballot box stuffing and bribing voters is practically patriotic here! :)

Porta-potty or not, my wife is just not interested in standing out in a big corn field in the middle of nowhere all day in the middle of winter. I can't imagine why not.

Back