Madcow Nike Apache build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kallahan11

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Come with me as I build what is sure to be a very common kit this build season. So for I have Sanded and fit the Apache Components and have created the initial Open Rocket file. Note I weighed the parts after the Apache stuff was sanded but before the Nike stuff was sanded, so if you use this .ork be aware of that, also the CR's and bulkheads weight too little for my scale to measure accurately, so the estimates may actually be better. I have also cut and prepped a number of Forged I bolts for this and another project...
20171209_155800.jpg20171209_155530.jpg20171209_155146.jpg20171209_131455.jpg20171209_131454.jpg20171209_130742.jpg
View attachment Madcow Nike-Apache Raw Kit.ork

Pretty impressive on what looks like a 12"x18" workspace. [emoji4]

From the Ether...

Last edited:
I find myself looking at everything in your workspace rather than the rocket parts:). Not making fun, one of my benches looks worse including the same items from hobby lobby,harbor freight,home depot. I missed the sale, i'm looking forward to seeing the build on this one though.

for a moment, I thought that was my workspace, then I realised that I don't own that kit!!

I find myself looking at everything in your workspace rather than the rocket parts:). Not making fun, one of my benches looks worse including the same items from hobby lobby,harbor freight,home depot. I missed the sale, i'm looking forward to seeing the build on this one though.

My bench looks similar.....kinda makes for a real life wheres Waldo when looking for parts :)

I'll like to keep all my stuff in one spot so I can find it.

I was curious, are the Nike fins flat FG or do they have the diamond profile (molded plastic or whatever)? If they're diamond then I'll kick myself for not buying it just for the booster, if they're flat then it's no different than the kit I already had, so I'll feel better even if I could have had another rocket for cheap. :)

I was curious, are the Nike fins flat FG or do they have the diamond profile (molded plastic or whatever)? If they're diamond then I'll kick myself for not buying it just for the booster, if they're flat then it's no different than the kit I already had, so I'll feel better even if I could have had another rocket for cheap. :)
They are flat FG 1/8in

I'd like to see the interstage guts when you get to it. Those are the most challenging pieces to design from my novice experience at this. I'd like to scratch an interstage for a sand hawk terrier build way later. Not going to directly copy but to reference as what areas were thickened by experienced companies that do this professionally. I know my geometry will be different. Imploded my first interstage in Utah... Kits are overbuilt anyhow usually. Thanks.

You could collect all of your eyebolts, weigh them together, and divide by the number of eyebolts you've got. Same for all other stuff. If you're flying dual deployment, you probably have a gram scale for your BP. My scale will read out in grams, ounces, and probably one or two more units... Food for thought.

-Mike

You could collect all of your eyebolts, weigh them together, and divide by the number of eyebolts you've got. Same for all other stuff. If you're flying dual deployment, you probably have a gram scale for your BP. My scale will read out in grams, ounces, and probably one or two more units... Food for thought.

-Mike
Ive always done volumetric measures for bp, ive had zero failures on dual deploys in over 30 flights. The i bolts werent weighed because I just wanted to put out the raw kit as an .ork for everyone.

I'd like to see the interstage guts when you get to it. Those are the most challenging pieces to design from my novice experience at this. I'd like to scratch an interstage for a sand hawk terrier build way later. Not going to directly copy but to reference as what areas were thickened by experienced companies that do this professionally. I know my geometry will be different. Imploded my first interstage in Utah... Kits are overbuilt anyhow usually. Thanks.

There's just a 38mm coupler that comes out of the top of the transition and into the airframe of the apache. It is glued to the top of the transition and a centering ring in the transition. No ebay or anything in the kit for the booster, though I will add one.

Can someone pm me the Nike kit fin Specs? Root, tip, span, and thickness in cm. I have a way to diamond it.

I can diamond sh*t. Not going to supersonic foil anything. Gimme fin data. Let me warn yah. Experimental test flight with sterile test environment only. RSO/crew only. Less spectators the better. $100+ fin to manufacture. I did supersonic airfoils for a SEDS university launch. Didn't end the way we wanted. What is possible isn't always smart. Flutter for Flat Plate doesn't work on taper foils.

You can't mold it or machine it bud. Tolerance too tight.

Can someone pm me the Nike kit fin Specs? Root, tip, span, and thickness in cm. I have a way to diamond it.
The fins are in the open rocket .ork file posted in my original post.

Anywho I've sanded and fit the Nike sections as I wait for more supplies to come in.

20171216_135129.jpg20171216_143118.jpg

gave mine a bath too last night. I'll start in on a build after I finish up this Dual Deploy that I just started a build thread on.20171215_215615.jpg

Back