Lightweight epoxy for carbon fiber airframe?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosgrove_UofL

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post on Rocketry Forum so forgive me of any newbie mistakes I might make..

Does anyone have any recommendations for a lightweight epoxy-resin system that I can use to make airframe with carbon fiber fabric? Currently I use Aeropoxy 2032-3660 but I'm wondering if there are any lighter options out there as keeping the rockets weight as low as possible will be important on this build.

Thanks in advance!

I don't think you can really find a lighter weight epoxy. The trick is to use the method that gets out the most "extra" epoxy. Generally, vacuum bagging is the best method to do that. It is possible that their are some epoxies that are more efficient and wet out better. That might allow for better elimination of the extra stuff. More experienced folks will have to chime in with their knowledge. I've only dabbled with CF and fiberglass. I still haven't vacuum bagged or used a curing oven.

ah darn, that's kind of what I had figured. I've used vacuum bagging and heat shrink tape in the past. Vacuum bagging seems to be lighter but the surface finish can sometimes not great while heat shrink tape results in a very smooth finish that requires minimal sanding.

I don't think you can really find a lighter weight epoxy. The trick is to use the method that gets out the most "extra" epoxy. Generally, vacuum bagging is the best method to do that. It is possible that their are some epoxies that are more efficient and wet out better. That might allow for better elimination of the extra stuff. More experienced folks will have to chime in with their knowledge. I've only dabbled with CF and fiberglass. I still haven't vacuum bagged or used a curing oven.

Right on Len! Seek a low viscosity epoxy that wets out well. Look at viscosity and epoxy strength; not at its density. Remove mass from the final product by removing excess epoxy which adds mass without adding strength.

Right on Len! Seek a low viscosity epoxy that wets out well. Look at viscosity and epoxy strength; not at its density. Remove mass from the final product by removing excess epoxy which adds mass without adding strength.

I am a huge fan of System 3's Silvertip epoxy for wetting out and bubble removal. You might also take a look at Jim Jarvis' work on tube building. He advocates tension on the fabric going on to the tube to improve the epoxy-carbon ratio. If you don't have a peel ply layer and a breather cloth above it for epoxy to soak into, heat shrink tape will improve the surface without removing any more epoxy.

Back