CHRISTMAS DINNER (breaking traditions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We switched to enchiladas, beans, cornbread, Mexican style rice, and tamales. I have a good enchilada recipe that I like to make occasionally.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum
Have you heard of Chile' Reno where you take the green peppers and split lengthwise drain seeds the lay flat in a glass pan and layer eggs over it with cheeses and tomato sauce? That's what my family serves with enchiladas. It's not bad either.

We do traditional Jewish Christmas every year, Chinese Takeout and movie.

In order to avoid an "explosive holiday"-keep the Chanukah candles a safe distance from the ffffg powder!

Happy Chanukah & Merry Christmas to all!

Fred

I have been making my own pecan pies (pronounced PUH-khan) for a few years now (snip)

Funny thing there. pecans have a sort of regional pronunciation thing going on. I say PEH-kahn', I've heard PEE'-kenz before, and my mother used to call em PEE'-cans.

For the last 20 or so years, I have refused to cook what our family considered traditional Christmas dinner. It was usually a remake of what we ate at Thanksgiving and I got tired of that instant replay every year. My older brother still cooks this way but fortunately, his Christmas dinner is usually a week or so after Christmas.

Since it'll be just my daughter, her BF and the grand baby, we decide at Thanksgiving what we want for Christmas dinner. Usually it's something different every year and so, we decided on German Schnitzel, baked Brussel's sprouts with Balsamic vinegar and honey and either stuffed baked squash or mashed taters. I always make a nanner bread because between Jake and I, we can't seem to get enough of my recipe on that. Might even bake some Butterscotch morsel cookies too. Although that's not set in stone.

So what are you having this year? Got a special recipe you want to share? OH, and FWIW, it'll still feel like Christmas even if you ditch that egg nog. Who said it was a "must have" anyway?

But Gary,, The eggnog is my favorite,, lol..

Every few years or so, the wife and I skip the family dinners (both families are in town) and do our own thing alone.
Normally I pick up a couple nice steaks for the grill , some crab legs and scallops- twice baked potatoes and a nice salad. Thats this years plan
but I will admit , having worked this Thanksgiving, I miss me some leftover turkey samiches :wink:

Oh man,,
I don't know whats better about the whole Thanksgiving feast,,
the meal or the leftovers,, lol...
I really love the day and evening hanging out with everybody laughing and telling old stories about each other,, lol...

My wife used to make ravioli for St. Steven’s Day using the leftover turkey. It was terrific!

Oh mannn does that sound good...

Teddy

This is making me hungry. You all have such good ideas and breaking of the expected. Love it. My daughter is cooking for the family in town. I have no idea what will be served. What's fun is my Dad won't wear his dentures, so has difficulty eating some things. This could get interesting.
I hope there's cranberry sauce (if not I have some at home).

I'm almost 50 years old and I've never had a Christmas dinner. The tradition in my family when I was kid, and I've continued it with my kids, is Christmas breakfast. A huge Christmas breakfast that we eat all day. In the morning after gifts are opened and the kids are off playing, the parents (and sometimes the older siblings) will make a large breakfast. Lots of eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, French toast, ebelskivers, ham, fresh fruit, OJ, eggnog etc... Put this on a few warming plates and leave it out for people to eat for a few hours. Leftovers eventually get put in the fridge and get snacked on throughout the day. No more cooking.

We do similar, always been big breakfast people - so my wife started the tradition of blue pancakes (not blue berry mind you - blue food coloring) then I make them in shapes, green eggs and red milk... kinda grossed me out but been doing it since the kids were old enough to not just play with the boxes at Christmas. We always make a fresh fruit salad with grapefruit, oranges from FL, honey crisp apples, bananas and grapes.
Then more like ham and Roast filet for us. We are comfort food folk I guess.

Traditional thanks giving dinner is one of my favorites but most years we go to Ms. Patties in Grand Rivers KY for thanksgiving dinner after a day of riding ATV’s in the woods provided no hospital runs, even then most of the family will make it to dinner and your left to fend for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

20 lbs. king crab, 14 lb. prime rib, 22 lb. turkey and Gordon Ramsey gravy. Morning consists of croissants with scrambled eggs, smoked salmon and chives. I like hearing the wives ask their husbands why they can't cook like me.

Didn't get to make that at Thanksgiving this year, so your reminder makes me double determined to do it for Christmas.

I did make one this year, but it was before Thanksgiving. Dat one wuz MINE...mine mine mine mine mine mine.. Ate nearly the whole damn thing in about a week.
I'll prolly fix one for my brother's dinner this year.

will make a large breakfast. Lots of eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, French toast, ebelskivers, ham, fresh fruit, OJ, eggnog etc

I never ever heard of these ebelskivers till now. So I looked it up. Watched a few vids, looked at some recipes and even the cookware for these cute little moon cakes.
Now, I'd like your opinion on a good pan. Seen some crappy ones, seen some cast iron and even some electric ones. And I'd like to know what your family uses. A brand name for said cook pan would be useful.

That's because you don't have grandma's super secret recipe. They have a cult following, I'm telling ya.

Have you ever eaten something for the first time and it left a life long impression on you? Then some time down the road, you gave it a second try from a different source and were left with the same life long impression? Can't say I didn't give fruit cake a second chance. Just like pickled beets. Gets right to the uvula and turns a 180* and out she comes. And I don't wanna hear 3rd time's the charm either. I'll be fine just to look at em.

I never ever heard of these ebelskivers till now. So I looked it up. Watched a few vids, looked at some recipes and even the cookware for these cute little moon cakes.
Now, I'd like your opinion on a good pan. Seen some crappy ones, seen some cast iron and even some electric ones. And I'd like to know what your family uses. A brand name for said cook pan would be useful.
I've always used cast iron because I like how evenly it cooks. Not sure of the brand-been using the same one for about 25 years now. This year, however, I'm going to try it in a non-stick aluminum pan because the new house doesn't have a gas range (I'm still getting used to that). Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out. Oh, and always cook these with a small chunk of apple in center. It's tradition (ebelskiver literally means apple slice)

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

This year, however, I'm going to try it in a non-stick aluminum pan because the new house doesn't have a gas range (I'm still getting used to that). Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out.

FWIW, our family has used our cast iron pans on both gas and electric ranges. Other than needing to wait a little longer to heat up (and cool down) with an electric range, I don't find there to be much difference.

I've always used cast iron because I like how evenly it cooks. Not sure of the brand-been using the same one for about 25 years now. This year, however, I'm going to try it in a non-stick aluminum pan because the new house doesn't have a gas range (I'm still getting used to that). Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out. Oh, and always cook these with a small chunk of apple in center. It's tradition (ebelskiver literally means apple slice)

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Camp Chef is the one I've had my eye on. Cast Iron, useful for gas or electric stove top. This one has a wall (if you will) that houses the "half spheres" keeping an even distribution of heat underneath. Cast Iron is a preference to teflon coated pans because they will last a lifetime. I usually cook pancakes in cast iron also.
SEE HERE

Thanks for your input. I've added one of these to my Amazon shopping cart.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, our family has used our cast iron pans on both gas and electric ranges. Other than needing to wait a little longer to heat up (and cool down) with an electric range, I don't find there to be much difference.

I agree that most cast iron will work on an electric stove, but my current cast iron ebelskiver pan doesn't sit flat on the ceramic/glass surface of the stove. The pan is skirted and looks like it should but some of the wells are uneven and it rocks. Also, my stove's user manual says not to use cast iron on it, most likely to avoid scratching the surface - one just needs to be careful.

Camp Chef is the one I've had my eye on. Cast Iron, useful for gas or electric stove top. This one has a wall (if you will) that houses the "half spheres" keeping an even distribution of heat underneath. Cast Iron is a preference to teflon coated pans because they will last a lifetime. I usually cook pancakes in cast iron also.
SEE HERE

Thanks for your input. I've added one of these to my Amazon shopping cart.

Thanks for sharing the link. I would like to stay with a cast iron if it will sit evenly on my stove. I may have to give one of these a try and see if it works better than my old one.

Happy Holidays!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back