OR problem saving configurations and sims.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepOvertone

Reaction score
I am a total newbie to OR so please forgive me if this is a simple question. I was given a file the other day by a friend that had motor configurations saved in the file already. I’m trying to do the same thing with a different file and it’s not working.

I load a new configurations, or several for that matter, insert motors and run sims. Then I save the file. When I open it again, the configurations are gone and so are the sims. But it’s saving changes I make to the rocket. Am I missing a step?

Thanks
DO

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

1) what version of OR are you using?

2) is it possible you're opening an old file, and not the updated file?

I am a total newbie to OR so please forgive me if this is a simple question. I was given a file the other day by a friend that had motor configurations saved in the file already. I’m trying to do the same thing with a different file and it’s not working.

I load a new configurations, or several for that matter, insert motors and run sims. Then I save the file. When I open it again, the configurations are gone and so are the sims. But it’s saving changes I make to the rocket. Am I missing a step?

Thanks
DO

Is the original file you’re saving a .rkt file or .ork? If it’s a .rkt (rocksim), try saving as a .ork (openrocket) file and then making your changes.

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

It was a .RKT file. OR wouldn't allow me to "save as" .ORK file so I manually changed the file extension and that worked. Is there a better way to change from .RKT to .ORK?

By the way, I'm using 15.03 on a Mac.

Thanks,
DO

Then open a blank Open Rocket as clean sheet then input dimensions, component shape, mass overrides, and you can freely save whatever motor configurations and as many you want on the flight sims. Then you FILE save as ALL SIMULATED Data check that. Then you can learn how open rocket really works. Rocksh*t hater here so maybe I'm bias. OR and RAS Aero II do all I need for free. In OpenRocket software Rocket You!

Then when OR fails at CFD since the thesis paper says that's its downfall, go do a Dassault Solidworks 3D model and import a 3D model from it into a University research center Linux hard code by Graduate profs, they always find a drag coefficient the professional non noob way. And RockSim won't do that either. Cute sims but won't find the real data yo. You can see my other posts of a CFD on a hobby rocket under Open Rocket that pissed off people. I've got a talent for pissing people off apparently. Some were jealous I think... They call it overkill. Lol.

Not jealous, annoyed.

The issue with all mod and sim software is that the output depends on the quality of the inputs. Even if I had access to all of the CFD software from NASA, my simulations wouldn't be anymore accurate because I don't have a means of measuring the inputs that need to be fed into the code (surface and material characterstics, ...). Perhaps, because you're building as part of an engineering program, which is about teaching best practices and thorough methodology, you do want to take the time to do everything "right, but the most of the rest of us have already been though that and live that process at work. The hobby let's us bypass the engineering project management and just do something we enjoy.

The fact you have a magical airfoil generator or access to the best [fill in resource here] is great and has been noted. Let if go.

Last edited:
Then when OR fails at CFD since the thesis paper says that's its downfall, go do a Dassault Solidworks 3D model and import a 3D model from it into a University research center Linux hard code by Graduate profs, they always find a drag coefficient the professional non noob way. And RockSim won't do that either. Cute sims but won't find the real data yo. You can see my other posts of a CFD on a hobby rocket under Open Rocket that pissed off people. I've got a talent for pissing people off apparently. Some were jealous I think... They call it overkill. Lol.

Against my better judgement, I will respond to this latest troll by the college kid.

OR and RS can't "fail at CFD", because they are not CFD codes. You do know that, right? Give it up already. If you think $50,000 Solidworks CFD or a grad student Linux code that runs all of 15 min is something to crow about, then think again. I use CFD codes that are orders of magnitude more expensive and run for days on state of the art CPUs. How many CFD simulations have you run, yo? Not by your professor, but by you? Can you explain the variations and assumptions of CFD methods? I am thinking that "zero" and "no" are the correct answers.

In another thread, you mentioned that you failed certification twice this year. So, no, I am not "jealous" of you. Hmm, maybe there is more to hobby rocketry that your professor's fancy hypersonic simulation can't solve for you. Most hobbyists manage just fine and easily pass certification with OR and RS drag models.

I'm not really sure what is happening here but I know its gone off the rails from my original question. Andrew if you have something to say thats on topic then its welcome here. If not, theres no need for comment. Everyone else, please don't feed the trolls. Further off topic discussion will be reported. Thanks.

Sorry for the "family business" but it's occasionally necessary...

On Topic, I think the problem is that the source file is a RockSim .RKT file. It's a different format regardless of extension. I don't think OR will load motor choices or simulation data from a RockSim file, just import the design as best it can.

You'll have to save the file as a .ORK file from within OR, then try and add back the motor choices, re-run the sims. I don't think there's an easier way.

Thanks cabernut. I did find that if I simply changed the extension to .ork it allowed me to save the data I was looking for. However I feel like that’s not the best way to get OR to do what I want. When I tried to use the “save as” function from within OR, it wouldn’t allow me to select .ork so that’s why I opted to try just changing the extension. Anyone have any ideas how to convert a .rkt to a .ork file without just changing the extension? Thanks

Forgot to mention: When saving, check the drop-down for Filter and make sure that OpenRocket .ork is selected. That will save in the .ork file format.

Just to be clear... When I try to select .ork, it doesn't allow me. I understand what you are suggesting I do, but what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't work the way you are suggesting. At least for me it doesn't.

Forgot to mention: When saving, check the drop-down for Filter and make sure that OpenRocket .ork is selected. That will save in the .ork file format.

That's never worked for me, tried it several times before I finally found a trick that worked. The popup immediately switches back to RockSim if it was a .rkt file. And even when I saved it with a .ork extension it would be a RockSim file with the wrong extension (it doesn't throw any dialogs on the save, but it continues to act like a rocksim file, complaining about some things it doesn't like, not saving sim data, etc).

The only way I've been able to convert successfully is to first rename the .rkt file to .ork, open it in OR, and then if I save it under a different name it actually writes out the file as an OR file. This is with 15.03 on a Mac.

That's never worked for me, tried it several times before I finally found a trick that worked. The popup immediately switches back to RockSim if it was a .rkt file. And even when I saved it with a .ork extension it would be a RockSim file with the wrong extension (it doesn't throw any dialogs on the save, but it continues to act like a rocksim file, complaining about some things it doesn't like, not saving sim data, etc).

The only way I've been able to convert successfully is to first rename the .rkt file to .ork, open it in OR, and then if I save it under a different name it actually writes out the file as an OR file. This is with 15.03 on a Mac.

That’s the exact same problem I’ve been having. Maybe it’s a mac problem. Anyway, it sounds like I stumbled upon the same solution you did by accident. Because that’s basically what I did to make it work. Thanks.

Just to make sure, I’m gonna try using a pc to see if it works there and doesn’t on a Mac.

Will is right. This is the only way it works for us Macs. Once you manually change the extension on the file from .rkt to .ork everything works fine. It isn't a hard workaround, but it would be nice if the new version of OR made it unnecessary.

Last edited:
Definitely sounds like a Mac specific bug. Should be reported as an issue so we can get it fixed asap.

Reported, I didn't know that it wasn't happening for everybody so I had assumed it was a known issue (never knew how/where OR issues were reported either, thanks for the link above).

I do not call it overkill. I call it ego with little to really back it up. You like to brag because you have neat tools to work with. Good for you- now stop being a jerk and stop bragging about so called accomplishments.

Back