Finally done! Hangar 11 6" dia. X-15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frank, it's actually pretty good. I'll take a vertical pic tonight and post it.

Measured across the top the width is 9" so a 50% adder compared to the side (height) dimension. Saying that, this is not a scale rocket by any means, it is sport scale and takes tweaking in fin position and weight placement to get it to fly.

IMG_20171211_182357.jpg IMG_20171211_182450.jpg

What materials were used to make the airframe surfaces beyond the ube?

On the Hangar 11 it is molded plastic. On Mike's rocket the shrouds are fiberglass.

Quote: "Why does no one finish these out in the ablative paint scheme?"

This version with the long tail cone is not correct with the ablative finish. That was the stretched X-15-A2 that had chines that went all the way to the rear. This model is really closer to the very early XLR-11 engine version before they installed the XLR-99 which had a shorter cone, then they streteched the design and lengthened the chines for the later high speed flights.

I think at this scale/weight, you could defintely fix the inaccuracies in the wing and tail shape at least and stretch the strakes/conduits to make it look more proportional without killing the CG location.

996dee02f03caebf0bf508d9806d368b--x--envelopes.jpg

downloadfile.jpg

Last edited:
Tim,

Just curious how much yours weighs. I'm at 18.3 without paint, recovery or motor. What size "K" were you thinking for the drag race?
You pick. I have all AT and Loki hardware plus a 3G and 6G Cesaroni.

Was actually thinking Loki L1400, but could drop back to a K960.

Just weighed it in at 15.7lbs. This though is with 1.5lb of nose weight which would be dialed in (plus a bit, minus a lot) depending on the motor selection.

From the Ether...

Last edited:
I've got a Loki L1040 all glued up ready to go. I'm definitely thinking an "L" :grin:
I don't want to fly the 4000 yet. I'm saving that for a high altitude flight. Heck there are a ton of motors that work with a 19 or 20 lb complex rocket.

(Tried to attach a.spreadsheet or .PDF from Thrustcurve, but this crappy app won't attach either [emoji35] .)

From the Ether...

I don't want to fly the 4000 yet. I'm saving that for a high altitude flight. Heck there are a ton of motors that work with a 19 or 20 lb complex rocket.

(Tried to attach a.spreadsheet or .PDF from Thrustcurve, but this crappy app won't attach either [emoji35] .)

From the Ether...

the L1040 is the red for the 54/2800 case that uses the single use nozzle.

Alright. Since this will be one of those rare times two X-15's will drag race. Can we get pictures or videos of when it happens?

Alright. Since this will be one of those rare times two X-15's will drag race. Can we get pictures or videos of when it happens?
rfjustin is renowned, I nominate him as the official photographer. I think we also have another Wisconsin attendee that was flying a quadcopter at MWP; I assume it was video-equipped, but not sure.

From the Ether...

I finally finished my X-15 for the drag race with Tim at Mini MWP next month. I'm also hoping that Justin will catch a pic or video to add to his collection. Its well worth the 900 mile drive to fly with you guys. Can't wait to see whats on the menu Saturday night at Tim and Jackie's.

X15.jpg X15-2.jpg X15 3.jpg

Plan to be there at least one of the two days. I have family coming in that weekend, so we shall see... :)

That looks amazing! I'm going to attend MMWP but limited to just one trip down there. Which day is the race scheduled for?

Back