First build for Tripoli certification

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NAR doesn't require inspection during the build if you can provide photo evidence of your build process.

NAR doesn't require photo evidence, either. My L3CC wanted to know if it was a kit or scratch. What adhesive was I using? Then, I did the document and built the rocket. At the end, I sent the document to the L3CC for a sanity check. Then I showed up with the finished document and paperwork, and launched.

Are you in a bad mood today Kurt, because that's the way your post came off, and you totally misinterpreted mine. I was not implying that NAR rules are the same as TRA, simply that the Tripoli MAY have had restrictions against it, Steve Shannon of course set that straight. My L3CC happens to also be a TRA TAP and iirc at one time was a member of TRA's Class 3 review committee (thats irrelevant to this conversation though). Yes documentation and photo records of the build can be accepted by the TAP but there are some TAPs who still want a physical periodic inspection. Each to their own, I did NAR simply because it is what my local club is and the nearest TAPs are all at least 3+ hours travel time each way (my L3CC was too, but only one L3CC is require). Not once was I asked to appear for a physical inspection of the rocket until the day of the flight, photos and documentation were fine (lots of photos, Kent even followed the build on both build threads here on TRF and my clubs forum, he also payed attention to the questions from readers and the answers I gave). Physical inspections are a convenience if the TAPs are available near to you. I absolutely am not telling someone what they can and cannot build, FYI my L3 project was in the planning stages before I even built my L1 or L2 cert rockets but due to NAR's rules I could not start the actual process until L2 was complete. Would I recommend someone blow through the three Cert levels as quick as possible, absolutely not, would I move as quickly as I did again, absolutely not (financial timing was important for the L3 in my case). There is a lot to be learned by flying L1 motors for a while before moving up to L2s and then to L3 motors. A

And yes your reply pissed me off.

I agree not good to blow through certs and for the record I am a member of both groups. What pisses me off is one person who adds their one personal requirements when BOD level discussion says otherwise.
Yes, I know both groups allow the L3CC/TAPs have the final say but there have been instances where their "requirements" were above and beyond what was necessary. That's what gets me pissed.
If you don't contend that personally made up "stuff/rules" is mandatory there is no beef from me.

There are instances where people submit paperwork to TAP's get approved, travel long distances to a launch and successfully L3 cert. No construction inspections or prior "build" approvals. Sure if one says I'm going to do a 1/2 scale LM for an
L3 cert I could appreciate being pretty leary.

The other thing to keep in mind about L3 certification is not only the waiver altitude but the radius the waiver calls for. Would be foolish to send a 4" rocket up really high and land successfully 1/4 mile out of a 1 mile waiver radius. That frustratingly is
a do not finish and I agree that's the way it is. (I'm sure in the past it was overlooked in some cases especially with RDF only tracking) Other thing here is some certifiers stipulate that they must have a visual of a candidate rocket under a successful
main before they will sign off. Further food for thought if one is going to do a screamer rocket and I do know of some where this rule is not negotiable. So, do a small high altitude L3 rocket, land successfully within the waiver, be a completely sight unseen
flight and it might be all for naught if the certifier stipulates a visual main descent and won't accept GPS data or will accompany one out to the recovery site to inspect the project immediately. Candidates should keep this in mind.

Kurt

You just need to make sure your TAPs are compatible with what you are trying to do. As Kurt mentioned, sometimes they add another layer over the top of what is actually required, and other times they have a different outlook on how things are done or should be done (personal opinions). If you have choice, you can choose which store to buy at :).

For my L3 one of my TAPs was international so I just did a build thread and then emailed both of them when there was an update. Both of them were very happy with that approach.

Back