Quiet forum these days, other than HPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SAAB 372 Up alive and Kickin' for HPR.... Check the thread SAAB 372 in the Waterin' Hole... Fresh Outta OR...
You guys can re-scale that sucker to LPR all you want if you wanna scratch it. :wink:

Actually I was thinking you're the *entire* cause of that,
I dunno, might be kind fun to be famous.
Or, I dunno, if I can't be famous I might settle for infamous.
Seriously though, hope you get well, nothing more important than that.
Thanks! It is the kind of stuff which seems to have inherited tendencies, and a trajectory;
but that trajectory can sometimes be slower or even stall out completely. Guess which way it goes will be found out when it goes that way.
In the meantime I can dream about those there and the kits in the storage boxes stacked behind the couch. (which Georgie cat has claimed for a survey his realm perch)

33926403770_9617615a9d.jpg

Hmm, what would it take to build a flying model version of that joker from 2013?
9909433725_4d0306ef43.jpg

9909476125_06f3382dd1.jpg

And I do appreciate receiving this in email
The Rocketry Forum
To:[email protected]
Nov 14 at 7:10 PM
modeltrains,

We have been missing you on The Rocketry Forum for some time now.

If you get a some time drop in and let us know what you’ve been building and launching.

Despite the fun I have with HPR, the reality remains that most of the launch opportunities I have are the nearby LPR/MPR club. So I still have a stash of those builds that I'm working on, but my garage time has been so limited this season that my time has just been spent building and not blogging about them. I do have one or two vintage Estes builds planned, that might merit some build posts.

This dood keeps getting weirder and weirder....

Man, seriously.... There are programs to help you get your meds... if you need assistance finding some, I'm sure we can find you contacts....

Man Seriously.... Can you CNC some fins?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there's not a lot of build activity going on in the LPR and Scratch built forums lately. There's usually a bunch of Estes kit builds going on, at minimum, particularly of the new ones. I don't think I've seen a single build of the new Red Nova, which looks like a nice kit. Can't remember the last Fliskits build I saw, other than the occasional ACME Spitfire.

The HPR forum still seems pretty lively, but for those who prefer to build smaller it's been fairly slim pickin's lately. I hope it's not indicative of a downtrend in the hobby.

Etc. etc., blah blah, grump grump, get off of my lawn.

I don't have a build thread of the Estes Red Nova but here are some pictures of the one I built being flown last Saturday.

SCRA Launch 12-02-17-32 Estes Red Nova awaiting launch.jpgSCRA Launch 12-02-17-34 Red Nova liftoff!.jpgSCRA Launch 12-02-17-35 Just got it in the frame.jpgSCRA Launch 12-02-17-36 Red Nova climbs into the SoCal sky.jpg

I sure hope LPR is not dead. I got into LPR because I liked working with my hands (was a truck/diesel mechanic/fabricator for years, but after 4 surgeries on my hands and wrists, it was time to get out). I now have 40 rockets built, 2 on the bench and 19 kits in the wings + 2 rockets that were lost (may they rest in peace). There is field close by where I launch when I have time and the weather is good, but I'm hoping to try and get to Tri-Cities this summer for some launches. Right now I'm recovering from shoulder surgery, so a LOT of time has been spent reading current and some of the older threads on TRF. Every time I get on, I find something that I can use now that I've had a question about. I know I should post more, but I feel I am the student (grasshopper) here, not the teacher (master).:wink: I've attached some pictures of my fleet.DSCF4572.jpgReflector.jpgMini Honest John.jpgAfter launch.jpg

Some nice looking rockets there. :cool: Ah the MLAS, one still unbuilt somewhere in a container here for a decade or more.
I am kinda wondering about the drag coefficient of that brown and white one though ... :wink:

SAAB 372 Up alive and Kickin' for HPR.... Check the thread SAAB 372 in the Waterin' Hole... Fresh Outta OR...
You guys can re-scale that sucker to LPR all you want if you wanna scratch it. :wink:

Again, thanks for taking the time.

Well should I get the kids next door some Estes kits and watch their moms absolute sh*tface panic when they light off a D or E motor next to $700,000 houses with no firehydrants? I gave a kid a bb gun once as a friend... His parents absolute hated me ever since. These neighbor young kids barely got into fireworks this year. These people on Signal Mountain, TN are like way liberal weirdos who shelter their kids a lot... Now atleast they put TRUMP signs out and wave a flag every now and then. Sheesh... It's like no one's taught them to go outside and have fun or something odd. And they play angry birds on a phone for hours upon hours or something.

When I was a young kid I remember flying a few C motors in about three or four Estes kits. Those old highschool soccer or baseball fields worked great as launch sites. Some things never change going to HPR as landing in trees is still same feeling as in LPR. Some places you can't even go to a park and do LPR due to everyone wanting to sue everything... You know those cheap $20 kits you buy, epoxy or slip fins onto, and screw a retainer in after tie a chute. Never even posted anything about 16 years ago or knew TRF existed. Never knew afterwards, I'd design a multistage rocket a college for HPR SEDS competition event then place third nationally. Walmart still sells those Estes kits. And I don't think the users post.

The sad thing is in certain cities without a TRA/NAR launchsite the hobby stores just gut their rocketry inventory down to very few LPR kits. The hobbytown USA in Chattanooga had gutted all of its MPR gear in spring, when I inquired about ignitors and possibly a casing to use for a SEDS HPR project. Apogee, Wildman, Madcow, and TRF had more info than anywhere else seriously. At the actual TRA/NAR launch sites, LPR isn't dead by any means. But maybe the OP is right about public awareness is lower.

We have a fairly active club in Memphis, but we still can't get the LHS to carry anything except for LPR stuff, and since they insist on charging full list for everything and never tell you when you have an order in, there's little incentive to throw much business their way anyhow. I just go to Hobby Lobby to buy LPR motors (wish they'd refresh their kit selection more often) and if I need a different delay than what they carry, I'll just buy online. They're not hurting for business between their RC and model railroad stuff, but it would be nice to have a local source for MPR motors at a decent price.

When I got back into rockets a few years ago, my wife was really paranoid about me going to local schools and sports fields to launch my rockets.

I posted not quite a build, but more of a "hey, look what I did" with my Estes Mini Fat Boy.... And a G55. No one cared.

...and that's how it goes.

-Mike

I would just like to say that the pendulum seems to have swung the other way lately, there is a bounty of great builds on the forum right now (and not just from CoachSteve. :)) Hope it keeps up!

There's not as much interest in build threads as there used to be. A lot of the guys who used to frequent the forum are gone. I still post build threads in Scratch Built, but don't get a lot of responses. I'm working on two builds right now, but don't know if I'll post them here or not. Doesn't seem like it's worth the effort anymore.

For what it is worth, I'm in as deep as I am partly as a result of those prolific Captain low and slow build threads. You never know when you are gonna set the hook in a noob.

Oddly enough, 1 in 15 of my builds is prolly an MPR. I'm mostly about LPR. Right now, I have 1 MPR build thread going on and 2 LPR builds on the bench working. It's not likely I'll want to do multiple build threads, so my LPR stuff kinda got left out. And it's like the Cap'n said, Not many ppl are responding anyway. Maybe they're just not interested in my present thread, even though I have 2578 views and 51 posts....and most of those are mine! OK, so I have a couple of good fans and you all know who you are. I still had more responses 4-5 years ago than I do now. I actually joined this forum having heard how active the "scratch built" department was.
Oh well...Que será, será.

For what it is worth, I'm in as deep as I am partly as a result of those prolific Captain low and slow build threads. You never know when you are gonna set the hook in a noob.

Thank you for saying that. That's pretty much how I got as involved as I did. I definitely got hooked. I started doing build threads as a way of giving back, hoping that I can help noobs, like I was helped. I'll probably keep going, as you never know when you post something, who it will help.

I like build threads!

Although I must admit I usually only chime in when I have a question about something that piques my curiosity.

There's not as much interest in build threads as there used to be. A lot of the guys who used to frequent the forum are gone. I still post build threads in Scratch Built, but don't get a lot of responses. I'm working on two builds right now, but don't know if I'll post them here or not. Doesn't seem like it's worth the effort anymore.

I totally agree with you.

Fortunately, there is some totally awesome activity in the Cardstock forum ... viewed by nearly all of it's 17 followers.

I like build threads!

Although I must admit I usually only chime in when I have a question about something that piques my curiosity.

Similar for me - I may make a comment at the end about how the final product came out, but won't make comments during the build unless I have a question.

One thing I look at for my (few) build threads are the viewed count. While there may not be a lot of comments when I see the viewed count keep rising I assume there is some interest

I always learn things from other folks build threads. I also enjoy seeing posts that show people are still alive. (bradycros, good to see you are still with us!)
Like others, I try not to disturb the flow unless I have something important to say. I guess it is a hold over from childhood, I was to be seen (only occasionally), but definitely not heard. I try to give a compliment here and there, but admittedly am doing that less and less.
My own build threads are not of the quality that I see others present(in my opinion), so they also are a rarity.

I would hope that activity in the forum is cyclic, active for a while, with a slow down before the next storm. The question becomes do we want to ride out the slump...

One thing I look at for my (few) build threads are the viewed count. While there may not be a lot of comments when I see the viewed count keep rising I assume there is some interest
Glad I'm not the only one who does that. :)

I post build threads because otherwise I'm toiling alone in my basement with absolutely no one to share what I'm doing. For me that is no fun. So while I certainly hope for feedback and participation in my build threads, I'll probably keep posting them regardless. I *have* been on an ongoing quest to understand what style of build thread gains the most views and/or participation, and I haven't really figured it out yet. Seems unpredictable.

For what it's worth, I try to chime in on other build threads that I'm reading to at least acknowledge that I'm watching and appreciating what they're doing.

One thing that bugs me is that the forum format results in old threads falling off the recent thread listings and being essentially buried. I keep discovering, usually by accident, great old build threads (most recently some of Hornet Driver's). I wish they were all catalogued somewhere.

After six months of illness, family drama, and other "diversions", I have cleared my bench for 4 LP/MP scratch builds. Two are jet themed, one is a pseudo-scale, and the other is an eclectic 2-stager.

And before you bring it up Neil, no, no build threads. I simply don't like doing them.

Back