Does Wildman or Mac Custom slot Airframe tubes and CNC fin profiles from plate?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew_ASC

UTC SEDS 2017 3rd/ SEDS 2018 1st
Reaction score
I don't have all the details yet. Toying with the idea of doing a SAAB BAMSE 54mm Sport Scale with 38mm MMT. I got an OR file I'm working on. I can throw it into solidworks before I officially request quotes. I can send the vendors the files if it helps them cut the tube easier with CNC endmill. Tail cone will be no problem. I can print a VK nose to my own liking or a tailcone transition through other vendors. I need someone with more experience than myself to cut the airframe tube slots and the fin profiles. Don't mind one bit paying a service fee, because I'd totally wreck the material with dremel instead.

Basically I'm gonna need four slots on a 54mm hobby grade FG airframe tube about 15" in length sized for 3/32" slots with a max slot length of 10.6" but there may be shorter slots as fin tabs guides along that 10.6" slot length.

It looks like I can get everything else under $130 bucks without knowing the fin cutting services or tube slotting fees yet. Still in prelim thoughts. If I can keep it under $250 shipped with services total that's awesome. Just need tubes and fins, everything else drops in or I can print. Any recommendations? Past vendor experiences on one-offs?

Tell you how you can find out real quick....

(815) 638-3200

www.wildmanrocketry.com

-Mike

I don't have all the details yet. Toying with the idea of doing a SAAB BAMSE 54mm Sport Scale with 38mm MMT. I got an OR file I'm working on. I can throw it into solidworks before I officially request quotes. I can send the vendors the files if it helps them cut the tube easier with CNC endmill. Tail cone will be no problem. I can print a VK nose to my own liking or a tailcone transition through other vendors. I need someone with more experience than myself to cut the airframe tube slots and the fin profiles. Don't mind one bit paying a service fee, because I'd totally wreck the material with dremel instead.

Basically I'm gonna need four slots on a 54mm hobby grade FG airframe tube about 15" in length sized for 3/32" slots with a max slot length of 10.6" but there may be shorter slots as fin tabs guides along that 10.6" slot length.

It looks like I can get everything else under $130 bucks without knowing the fin cutting services or tube slotting fees yet. Still in prelim thoughts. If I can keep it under $250 shipped with services total that's awesome. Just need tubes and fins, everything else drops in or I can print. Any recommendations? Past vendor experiences on one-offs?

Charles Farmer is a former U.S. Air Force fighter pilot and astronaut-in-training who reluctantly resigned from the space program and was discharged from the military before he could fulfill his dream of becoming a vital part of NASA. He did so in order to take over his family's failing ranch in Texas after his financially strapped father's suicide prior to the ranch being foreclosed on.
Having missed the opportunity to travel into space, he decides to build a working replica of the historic Mercury-Atlas rocket and spacecraft in the barn on his secluded ranch in the fictional town of Story, Texas, using all his assets and facing his own foreclosure of the ranch as a result. But he has done so with the ongoing support of his wife Audrey, his teenage son Shepard, and young daughters Stanley and Sunshine. When he begins making inquiries about purchasing rocket fuel, the FBI and FAA step in to investigate, and the ensuing publicity thrusts Farmer into the spotlight and makes him a media darling.
Farmer's launch is delayed by endless red tape created by U.S. government officials from the FAA, FBI, CIA, NASA and the Department of Defense, who seek to stall him beyond his deadline and force his creditors to foreclose on the farm. Farmer was counting on publicity to help him financially. He is denied the hydrazine fuel he requires, with government officials claiming he is a security risk and that it is too dangerous to allow a private citizen to launch a space vehicle. Facing financial ruin, he panics, climbs aboard, and, using a less-than-optimal substitute fuel, he somehow launches the rocket. However, after only a foot or two of vertical lift, the rocket descends back down, falls over, and horizontally blasts out of the old wooden barn where it was constructed.
Farmer nearly dies from head trauma and other injuries after his capsule is thrown from the rocket. News media, spectators and all their vehicles are nearly crushed in the process. During the months he spends recuperating, public interest in his project wanes, and while he recovers slowly, he is depressed at the failure of the project and of his dream.
Fortunately, an inheritance from her father, Hal, is unexpectedly left to Audrey after his death, which allows them to bring their debts current. Audrey, realizing how much Charles' dream means to the entire family, encourages Charles to construct another rocket, financing it with the rest of her inheritance. He is able to do so in relative privacy.
Using a ruse to distract snooping government officials, Charles succeeds in launching the rocket, while the FAA claims no such thing has occurred. As the rocket rises out of the barn, the locals and law enforcement authorities in the area are amazed to watch it rise into space. After orbiting Earth nine times and suffering a brief period of a communication blackout, Charles returns safely and is given a hero's welcome home, appearing on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno and as seen in still photos shown during the end credits, while playing Elton John's Rocket Man.

In How to Build a Rocket: The Making of The Astronaut Farmer, a bonus feature on the DVD release of the film, screenwriters Michael and Mark Polish reveal they used their father as a role model for the character of Charles Farmer.
The space suit worn by Farmer is a replica of the Mercury-era Navy Mark IV pressure suit worn by all Mercury Sevenastronauts prior to Mercury-Atlas 9. Additionally, the rocket featured in the film is a nearly scale replica of the Mercury-Atlas that launched America's first astronauts into orbit.[2]
The film's soundtrack includes "Rocket Man" by Elton John, "Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love)" by Waylon Jennings, "(Hey Baby) Que Paso" by Texas Tornados, "John Saw That Number" by Neko Case, "Stop the World (And Let Me Off)" by Dwight Yoakam, "Before the Next Teardrop Falls" by Freddy Fender, "List of Reasons" by Dale Watson, "I Made a Lover's Prayer" by Gillian Welch.
The film premiered at the 2006 Mill Valley Film Festival. Its February 23, 2007 theatrical release in the United States was three days after the 45th anniversary of the country's first orbital mission, Friendship 7, piloted by John Glenn.
When Thornton's character is being interviewed by Jay Leno during the closing credits, the studio audience members are not extras but the actual audience from that day's filming of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

In How to Build a Rocket: The Making of The Astronaut Farmer, a bonus feature on the DVD release of the film, screenwriters Michael and Mark Polish reveal they used their father as a role model for the character of Charles Farmer.
The space suit worn by Farmer is a replica of the Mercury-era Navy Mark IV pressure suit worn by all Mercury Sevenastronauts prior to Mercury-Atlas 9. Additionally, the rocket featured in the film is a nearly scale replica of the Mercury-Atlas that launched America's first astronauts into orbit.[2]
The film's soundtrack includes "Rocket Man" by Elton John, "Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love)" by Waylon Jennings, "(Hey Baby) Que Paso" by Texas Tornados, "John Saw That Number" by Neko Case, "Stop the World (And Let Me Off)" by Dwight Yoakam, "Before the Next Teardrop Falls" by Freddy Fender, "List of Reasons" by Dale Watson, "I Made a Lover's Prayer" by Gillian Welch.
The film premiered at the 2006 Mill Valley Film Festival. Its February 23, 2007 theatrical release in the United States was three days after the 45th anniversary of the country's first orbital mission, Friendship 7, piloted by John Glenn.
When Thornton's character is being interviewed by Jay Leno during the closing credits, the studio audience members are not extras but the actual audience from that day's filming of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

MAC Performance also seems to do a lot of custom work (he's made custom rockets for me on 2 or 3 occasions). It can't hurt to drop him a line and tell him what you have in mind.

Lol. I've got a NACA65A airfoil generator. NASA frowns upon it. They don't think us general public pud knockers should have zero lift supersonic airfoils so they don't release the generator. Datapoints are unclassified yo. You can read manuals of military lab docs with every thing sharpie out but airfoil coordinates. Could CAD a missile if I want. Have had supersonic airfoils manufactured in past for university research project. Unlike the Farmer movie actor. I don't need no stinkin' Hydrazine.

Worst that happen to me was a contractor asked if I could check the ITAR box. They accused a supersonic sounding rocket of being a missile. I went to another contractor and asked for components and they produced components. Just say components and they don't shove .Gov forms your way. Looool. Hollow nosecones and supersonic airfoils just piss the wrong buttons on certain people... I'm not DARPA or skunkworks, excel and datapoints do what NASA won't release in equations... I'm a college student and dork.

You can check out the CFD in open rocket thread in software. Hardest part about one-offs is finding guys like PML, MAC, WM, and Xometry etc to finish it. Flat plates are so much more economical compared to custom airfoils.

SAAB BAMSE WIP.

b5F5dS4.jpg

Got the SAAB 372 up on the watering hole SAAB thread. Can't decide to open source that one or not, likely so because it's so **** expensive to print parts for, Hahahaha. 54mm airframes with 38mm MMT.

Back