MDRA ESL 233 Dec. 16 - 17 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
First look at Saturday weather:

Start the day below freezing. Brrrr. :snowflake:
Will warm up to a balmy 37, but "feels like" temperature will remain below freezing.
Winds below 10 MPH.
Partly cloudy.
Chance of precip 10% or less.

Okay, who will brave the frigid air (and we're not talking about kitchen appliances) to come out and launch?

Nathan, will see that L3 attempt?

I will be there with my Formula 75 on a Loki something-or-other, and my MacP Scorpion on a 54mm CTI J something-or-other.

I have it on good word that Tom is bringing a rocket he doesn't launch much any more.

I will be there. Most likely I will fly ThisEndUp on the EX grains I made with you and Scott. BourbonRoc is making progress and it might show up for display.

. . . Nathan, will see that L3 attempt?

As long as it's not windy or raining or snowing or ceiling below 4000 ft I will plan to do my L3 cert flight on Saturday.

I'll probably also fly my Frenzy XL. I see that motor inventory at AMW is looking much better.

I’m planning on being there again on Saturday. I’ll be bring some card board rockets and a bunch of H motors.

lm looking toward to see the big stuff too!!

If AMW will be there to supply the motor, I might bite the bullet and pay the 2017 membership for the one launch so I can do my L1 cert. Been itching to get my super batray in the air that I finished a month ago.

If AMW will be there to supply the motor, I might bite the bullet and pay the 2017 membership for the one launch so I can do my L1 cert. Been itching to get my super batray in the air that I finished a month ago.

I can't speak for the board and I don't know the by-laws, but if I were you, I would see if they would prorate a membership, or let you pay a little extra for Dec. to Dec. membership. I'd ask.

I actually did send an email through the contact form on the website last friday about it, but never heard anything back :-/

I can't speak for the board and I don't know the by-laws, but if I were you, I would see if they would prorate a membership, or let you pay a little extra for Dec. to Dec. membership. I'd ask.

I actually did send an email through the contact form on the website last friday about it, but never heard anything back :-/

There was a time when they didn't prorate, but my experience was more like a half year request. One month...and it is almost Christmas....If it was me I'd take your money for 2018 and throw in one month. Try going to the Liberty Launch Systems page and using their contact info.

I sent an email to the bod email address, hopefully I get a good response! Any suggestions for a motor for my cert? I'll be a flying a Madcow Super Batray, weighs in at 53oz fully prepped w/out motor (plus any weight added to balance for the motor I choose). I plan to go w/ 29mm hardware for now, so I can also fly some bigger motors in my 29mm mid-power birds. I've already got the aeropack 38/29 adapter and retainer (and that 53oz includes both). Depending on the motor, I expect full-up flight weight to probably be in the 60oz neighborhood (It comes in a tad over 57 w/ a loaded G76-4 in it). W/ the G76, the CG comes in about an inch forward of the minimum CG, so I'll likely have to add a little weight for most H motor's.

There was a time when they didn't prorate, but my experience was more like a half year request. One month...and it is almost Christmas....If it was me I'd take your money for 2018 and throw in one month. Try going to the Liberty Launch Systems page and using their contact info.

I heard back from them and they did just that! He said renew for 2018 and fly at the Dec launch :)

Assuming you are buying your motor from AMW, some CTI possibilities are: H133, H175, H90, H163. All will get you just shy of 900' for an easy recovery even without D. All are three-grains, except the H175 which is four-grain. If they are still giving away a free case with a cert attempt, I'd go with the H175. You could then buy spacers to be able to launch 2G, 3G and 4G with that case (though 2G would not have enough thrust for that rocket).

That's kinda along the lines I was thinking too. Their website still says they do the cert special. I figured buy the 4grain load, get the 4grain case free, then by the starter set that has the 3grain, 2 spacers, and also gets me the dat and dat centering ring. I was thinking when I eventually do get a 38mm case for it, I'll go Loki and can still use the cti dat for their loads.

Assuming you are buying your motor from AMW, some CTI possibilities are: H133, H175, H90, H163. All will get you just shy of 900' for an easy recovery even without D. All are three-grains, except the H175 which is four-grain. If they are still giving away a free case with a cert attempt, I'd go with the H175. You could then buy spacers to be able to launch 2G, 3G and 4G with that case (though 2G would not have enough thrust for that rocket).

You'll have to come find me. I'll be the short guy hanging out with Tom Cohen and helping to launch this
thumbnail

Will do! I'll be the one with the shiny black metallic super batray. How is the H170BS 4g load?

Sims to 1253 feet. Not too bad for Higgs. Are you using a Chute Release?
Yup, that was my plan. I usually set it to 200ft for my mid-power birds (30-36oz) and they come down at a reasonable rate w/ no drogue, and have plenty of time to open (I fly at a fairly small field out at Mt Airy, w/ trees around). Any suggestions on a CR setting for one this weight? Should I add a drogue, or let it drift as I do with my others? (MDRM, and an old NCR Archer) On a side note, I love how the mdrm performs on a CR, flutters down on its nicely

I will be there with a two stager or two, might bring some sparky K's and an L910 but not sure yet. I have a CTI K590 (pro54 6grain) that I am looking to either trade or sell since I destroyed my 54 6GXL case. Cant wait to fly again after a few years away!

No need to add a drogue with a Chute Release. The bundled main acts like a drogue. I would not set the JLCR to less than 400'. Heavier rockets fall faster and need time to get the canopy open.

Figure I'll throw in the obligatory pic of the rocket I'll use for the cert flight. The pic doesn't do justice to the metallic shininess it has out in sunlight.
batray.jpg

Thanks! Unless my plans change, I'll probably be out Sunday only. I have a friend that wants to come along for my L1, and he's only available Sunday. If that's still the case, I'll probably end up still going to the narhams launch on sat in Mt. Airy. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the loaded weight down further, or I'd test launch it on the G76 there on Sat. Sim has it going about 500ft/37mph at the end of the rail on a G76, almost the same flight profile as my MDRM on a F40.

Thanks! Unless my plans change, I'll probably be out Sunday only. I have a friend that wants to come along for my L1, and he's only available Sunday. If that's still the case, I'll probably end up still going to the narhams launch on sat in Mt. Airy. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the loaded weight down further, or I'd test launch it on the G76 there on Sat. Sim has it going about 500ft/37mph at the end of the rail on a G76, almost the same flight profile as my MDRM on a F40.

Ah, I'll miss you, then. I only do Saturdays. Bummer.

I regularly fly at Mt. Airy too. The trees there are about as close as the far way pads at MDRA. Plenty of room there.

While I have set the JLCR to 200 at Mt. Airy, when I saw it done at MDRA it was SO :eyepop: close. The 400 minimum is a good recommendation, you can go higher too depending on the wind. Also be prepared for some options with the motor choice. AMW may not have your first choice or it may be windy and you might need a thrusty little motor, or may be there will be no wind enabling you to go bigger ;)

Last month was quite windy and I flew my L1 rocket with a H123 - skidmark, with the JLCR set to 400 and a JL altimeter. Here is the data:
FlightGraph - Loc IV H123.png

It shows that I had a drogue-less decent rate of 40fps with the 42oz ( unloaded ) cardboard rocket.

This is interesting my sim of that motor only predicted 1350ft, but that shows 1680ft. My L1 motor was a H123W sim'ed to 1850ft... I wonder how high that actually when...:confused2:

I am only expecting to be there on Saturday so good luck!

Verified AMW will be there this weekend, so it looks like I'm a go for Sun! What are the hours for Sun? Extended forecast looks good for Sun!

Sunday hours run from approx 9AM to approx 4 PM-it get dark shortly thereafter this time of year. There
will be multiple people who can help with your L1 flight, including myself, look me up. I would also suggest
you bring a copy or two of the L1 form with you(fill out most of it at home), and we can go over the rest at the field.

Back