Best practice for redundant CO2 deployment at high altitude?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalChris

Reaction score
I'm planning my L3 rocket, which will eventually be flown on a fairly hot M that will take it to around 60k'. I will be using a CO2 deployment for the drogue, and standard BP for the main.

What's the best practice for having redundancy on the drogue ejection? Two completely separate CO2 systems? Or something like the dual cap peregrine system?

Because of the altitude, I wouldn't trust a CO2 system backed up with a BP charge, or am I thinking wrong here? Or do I just need to figure out a way to make two separate CO2 systems fit?

Thanks

You’re thinking wrong. People like Jim Jarvis have many posts showing exactly how to do black powder for high altitudes, including as recently as last week or so.
Now if you’re interested in exploring the use of CO2 systems that’s great. Do a few L2 flights using those systems first so it’s not new to you during your cert attempt.

Steve Shannon

I've read a few of Jim's papers that he's put together regarding using the BP in surgical tubing. I'll reread them though.

The main thing I like about the CO2 systems is that the tube isn't filled with hot gasses and residue. I've looked at the dual head option for the Tinder Peregrine system, and am interested in that.

I do plan on launching this on K motors at my local club to make sure I have the electronics and ejection set up properly, before attempting my L3 certification.

Thanks

I use 2 ematches from redundant altimeters in one Perigrine CO2 cylinder. If you light the charge you are going to puncture the CO2 cartridge 99.9% of the time is my thinking.

I have the dual peregrine, haven't flown it in fully redundant config. My intent is to do two ematches per v2 cap, double 12g tubes. Should fit fine in 54mm.

Back