Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Adam Savage's "Tested" at BALLS 2017

Drilling for water via a research motor static test at 10:48.

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." - Will Rogers

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're misinformed." - Mark Twain

Holy crap! I thought that was North Korea testing a nuke!

John S. ---- NAR #96911 ---- TRA #15253 ---- MDRA #067 ---- BARC #028
    L1, 3/15/14: Aerotech Sumo, CTI H133BS
    L2, 6/21/14: Giant Leap Vertical Assault, CTI J240RL
    L3, 3/12/16: MAC Performance Radial Flyer, CTI M1101WH
    Altitude: 13,028', L3 flight; Speed: Mach ???, L3 flight

That motor sounded awesome at T+1! Nice propellant!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum
    L1 - Ash Grove RIP L2 - OAMC - Tripoli OH - L3 - Mid West Power
    NAR - 96297 TRA-15713
    2016 burned - 24824 Ns
    2017 burned to date - 28496.0 Ns

What was he trying to say about what happened to the flight as the motor burned?
    "I'm at least 70% confident about whatever I say (90% of the time)"- college me

NAR 101195
    Level 1: Big SAM, 9/10/16

Quote Originally Posted by Nytrunner View Post
    What was he trying to say about what happened to the flight as the motor burned?
    Sometimes it helps to have the closed captions turned on.

He was saying something about how, as the fuel grains burned the center of gravity shifted and the fins were no longer adequate to maintain stable flight.

What I missed was how much money he lost in electronics, etc.
    Blessings,

John
    NAR#87984
    L1 - Airfest - September 6, 2015

It can't be my second childhood, I haven't finished my first one yet.

"If I were giving a young man advice as to how he might succeed in life, I would say to him, Pick out a good father and mother, and begin life in Ohio." - Wilbur Wright, January 10, 1910

My Blog
    Other stuff I write

Quote Originally Posted by Peartree View Post
    Sometimes it helps to have the closed captions turned on.

He was saying something about how, as the fuel grains burned the center of gravity shifted and the fins were no longer adequate to maintain stable flight.

What I missed was how much money he lost in electronics, etc.
    I thought he said the CG shifted forward, which makes sense with propellant being consumed. So is he saying it corkscrewed by going OVERstable?

He said he lost $7-800. I'm going to take a guess and say a few other people lost some money in that rocket which brings the total up.

Rest in Pieces Charlie!!!
    Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

I thought he said the CG shifted forward, which makes sense with propellant being consumed. So is he saying it corkscrewed by going OVERstable?.
    Yeah, that caught my attention too. Maybe he meant to say "I don't have a clear idea why it went squirrelly, but I don't want to say that in front of Simone Giertz Queen of Sh!77y Robots"?

The companion video, on Tested Premium, is Simone building and launching (what I am fairy certain is) a Madcow Aerobee 150. Its not meant to be a "how to build a rocket" instructional; so she just tears open the bag and starts putting it together. Its moderately amusing to see her beetle through each step of the instructions without a clear idea of what she is building. She also speaks english with what could pass for a midwestern american accent, so it is a little funny to hear her sound out unfamiliar words -- like "coop-ler".

Spoiler: She managed -- with the help of Clay, her host at BALLS -- to complete the rocket and get it in the air. Its a little hard to hear the LCO on the video (they are laughing over the fact that he announced her name as "Simon") but it sounded like she sent her first-ever rocket up on a I-motor and had a successful recovery (dual deployment, even).
    NAR Level 1, Sheridan Oregon, 09/16/17 -- scratch built 7.6cm x 120cm rocket on an AT H182R.

So that's what's in the premium video!

That's the thing with pro YouTubers, how much is just an act, and how much is legitimate reaction?
    Did it mention if she flew for a Level 1 or flew it under someone else? (and did she rig the deployment herself with input or did they do that?)

Eh, sometimes those flight cards are hard to read (I have chronic Engineer's Handwriting and am guilty as well.....). Chris Dondanville gives me crap whenever he's reading one of my cards at the control board.
    (at PMW during L1 certs a couple weeks ago: "And on pad X, we've got..........Toby? flying his.......something something Do they NOT Teach Handwriting Anymore!!???....")

So that's what's in the premium video!

That's the thing with pro YouTubers, how much is just an act, and how much is legitimate reaction?
    Did it mention if she flew for a Level 1 or flew it under someone else? (and did she rig the deployment herself with input or did they do that?)
    Watching her robot-build videos I get the impression that she isn't putting on very much. She is smart and capable, but her process is haphazard. It works for her.

The LCO (almost) announced both of their names, so it seems like they launched under Clay Reynold's license -- which suggests she did not fly for certification.

I wasn't watching too closely (it was on in the background while I prepared a lecture) but I did notice footage where he was explaining the altimeter to her. I didn't see any other footage to do with the electronics. Since he helped her install rail buttons and a bulkhead, I'd guess that he at least showed her how to rig the deployment.
    NAR Level 1, Sheridan Oregon, 09/16/17 -- scratch built 7.6cm x 120cm rocket on an AT H182R.

There was a system this year where everyone who had NEED to go to the far away cells got a special wristband, and these were limited. No unauthorised people were supposed to be out there. I don't see any in the video. Safety third?
    Rob Appleton
    "That Crazy Brit"

- - -
    Team Numb
    -exploring the possibilities-
    L3 - TRA 13815 - NAR 87999

Quote Originally Posted by Salvage-1 View Post
    There was a system this year where everyone who had NEED to go to the far away cells got a special wristband, and these were limited. No unauthorised people were supposed to be out there. I don't see any in the video. Safety third?
    These people were ushered off the range once by a board member who politely explained what they needed to do (join Tripoli or NAR so they would be insured, register for BALLS like everyone else, and request a wrist band) in order to have range access and apparently went back on without permission. We (the board) didnít even know about it until I saw the video yesterday. Weíre discussing what to do. Iím not happy.

Steve Shannon
    Steve Shannon
    L3CC, TAP, Director, Tripoli Rocketry Association

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shannon View Post
    These people were ushered off the range once by a board member who politely explained what they needed to do (join Tripoli or NAR so they would be insured, register for BALLS like everyone else, and request a wrist band) in order to have range access and apparently went back on without permission. We (the board) didn’t even know about it until I saw the video yesterday. We’re discussing what to do. I’m not happy.

Steve Shannon
    Maybe that's why the dude looked so nervous.

TV drama= not needed by this hobby (we create enough of our own without cameras lol)

That guy has posted before on this forum I'm pretty sure. Lets see what he says

Simone certainly does have an interest in space.

Earlier this year she posted a series of videos, on becoming a DIY Astronaut:

This was the last one, culminating with being weightless in a jet plane doing Zero-G maneuvers:

Contest flying, Sport flying, it's all good.....
    2016 Bike Mileage total: 1843 miles. 5 Miles a day for the year!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shannon View Post
    These people were ushered off the range once by a board member who politely explained what they needed to do (join Tripoli or NAR so they would be insured, register for BALLS like everyone else, and request a wrist band) in order to have range access and apparently went back on without permission. We (the board) didn’t even know about it until I saw the video yesterday. We’re discussing what to do. I’m not happy.

Steve Shannon
    Was this the same group that did the test burn and then not clean up their mess??
    Gary Dickinson - Prefect
    Tripoli Mid Ohio #31
    TRA #5520 - L3 - TAP

Quote Originally Posted by pondman View Post
    Was this the same group that did the test burn and then not clean up their mess??
    I donít know.

Steve Shannon

Steve Shannon
    L3CC, TAP, Director, Tripoli Rocketry Association