NARCON 2018

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Duffy

Reaction score
Registration for NARCON 2018 is now open! Come to Houston February 23-25 for the National Association of Rocketry's three-day technical conference, to be held at the Hilton Houston NASA Clear Lake hotel, right next to the Johnson Space Center and Space Center Houston.

www.narcon2018.org

See you there,
James

The NARCON 2018 team is thrilled to announce that our keynote speaker will be Dr. Scott Parazynski, a five-time Shuttle astronaut and a seven-time spacewalker. Dr. Parazynski is the only human to have both flown into space and stood on the summit of Mount Everest. He is the author of the book "The Sky Below: A True Story of Summits, Space, and Speed," published by Little A Books.

Learn more at: www.narcon2018.org

James

I am reading his book right now!

I have been planning to write a post about his book since he mentions model rocketry several times in it. He even describes the Big Bertha kit in some detail.

-- Roger

Last edited:
Thanks for updating the title of my talk, James. Looking forward to providing info about international competition at NARCON.

If any TRFers have questions about the US Spacemodeling Team that they'd like to see an answer for, let me know.

Kevin

This is probably an odd question, but are Vern and Gleda Estes approachable? (Gah, that sounds horrible.)

I have come to rocketry very late (2014), but have come to appreciate their historical role in the hobby. It would be an honor to meet them. I’d like to say thank you, but I wouldn’t want to annoy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

This is probably an odd question, but are Vern and Gleda Estes approachable? (Gah, that sounds horrible.)

I have come to rocketry very late (2014), but have come to appreciate their historical role in the hobby. It would be an honor to meet them. I’d like to say thank you, but I wouldn’t want to annoy them.

They are very approachable.

Nah, that's not horrible at all. As Steve notes above, Vern and Gleda are delightful, salt-of-the-earth folks who seem to genuinely appreciate the impact that their efforts have had on our little community. Bring a favorite rocket for them to sign!

We eagerly await your registration here at NARCON headquarters!

James

At the risk of piling on - yes, both of them are very approachable. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Vern several times (and sharing a meal with him both up here at Pat Fitzpatrick’s house and during NARAM last time it was in Pueblo). He’s easy to talk to and as sharp as can be (he just turned 88 a couple of weeks ago). Gleda, as well, is very easy to talk to. Both of them are just about the nicest folks you’ll ever meet.

So as James noted, bring a favorite rocket for them to sign and strike up a conversation. You’ll be glad you did.

James: Speaking of Pat Fitzpatrick, he’s twisting my arm to come along when he comes to talk about the NAR/Museum of Flight effort at NARCON. How close to “full” are you getting. I know Trip had to cut off registrations last year at one point.

James: Speaking of Pat Fitzpatrick, he’s twisting my arm to come along when he comes to talk about the NAR/Museum of Flight effort at NARCON. How close to “full” are you getting. I know Trip had to cut off registrations last year at one point.

Define "full?" <VBG>

Seriously, there's plenty of room for everyone at NARCON, but go ahead and register ASAP. You'll be glad you did!

The special room rate at the hotel can only be guaranteed through February 1!

www.narcon2018.org

James

Thanks all. :)

Really looking forward to NARCON!

If you are planning to attend NARCON (and you should!) please be aware that the special rate at the hotel can only be guaranteed through Thursday, February 1.

https://www.narcon2018.org/hotel/

We have a great lineup of content set for NARCON, including model rocketry, high power rocketry, and real space subjects, in addition to a keynote presentation from five-time astronaut Scott Parazynski. If that&#8217;s not enough, rocketry legends Vern and Gleda Estes will be in attendance!

James

I called the hotel today and was told the NAR block was sold out. I was able to book at the same price (well, actually, $1 less per night, plus ~$20/night in taxes) via hotels.com but had to prepay and it is non-refundable. So I hope the travel arrangements will work out....

I&#8217;m looking forward to chatting with Vern and Gleda again. Pat Fitzpatrick told me Lee (and Betty?) Piester is also coming.

We just received word here at NARCON Headquarters that Lee and Betty Piester will be attending NARCON 2018! It's not too late to register and come rub shoulders with rocketry royalty!

www.narcon2018.org

James

Just a gentle reminder that today, Friday, February 16, is the last day to purchase NARCON banquet tickets. We'll keep event registration open until the event begins, but if you'd like to hear Scott Parazynski's keynote address Saturday evening you'll need a banquet ticket.

www.narcon2018.org

James

Video from Friday night's vendor forum is up on the NAR Facebook page. Get it straight from the horse's mouth ! And the James Duffy show ! :)

More good good on the NAR Facebook page - John Beans (Jolly Logic) live right now.

Hi All,

I was going to start a new thread but I figured I'd ask in here instead. Are there any more videos from NARCON 2018 available besides Joe Barnard's "The Future of Scale Rocketry" video? Ideally not hosted on Facebook? Just thought I'd ask as I've seen some in the past that were incredible (like the Team AeroPac 100k' presentation). Specifically I'm interested in Jim Jarvis's "100k' My Way" presentation if anyone knows where to find it. I'd also like to see the John Beans and Chris Harris talks as well if anyone has them available.

Cheers.

Hi All,

I was going to start a new thread but I figured I'd ask in here instead. Are there any more videos from NARCON 2018 available besides Joe Barnard's "The Future of Scale Rocketry" video? Ideally not hosted on Facebook? Just thought I'd ask as I've seen some in the past that were incredible (like the Team AeroPac 100k' presentation). Specifically I'm interested in Jim Jarvis's "100k' My Way" presentation if anyone knows where to find it. I'd also like to see the John Beans and Chris Harris talks as well if anyone has them available.

Cheers.

All of the powerpoint presentations will be posted before too long. A few of them will be on video.

Jim

Hi All,

Cheers.

for those that may have missed it, the video is here on youtube
https://youtu.be/u-86tsFJ7lE

Last edited:
I'm going to re-record my presentation in HQ (with slides), and in addition to providing it to NARCON I'll post it here.
Just trying to dig out AFTER Narcon right now...

P.S. NARCON was great this year. It's a couple of days of pure rocketry, great folks, old friends, and usually a cool VIP tour. If it ever goes back to Cocoa Beach, Fl, be sure to try and go. We had a great tour of Cape Canaveral last time.

Thanks for the responses Jim and John. I appreciate it.

Back