Do You Fair Out Your Nose Cone On Glassed Tube Rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBic

Reaction score
I was wondering if some of the more experienced builders could tell me, if and how you fair out your nosecones to account with the extra final thickness of the airframe. Thanks!

Paul B.

I did it on my Terrordactyl with a couple wraps of FG and a lot of Bondo and sanding. It came out pretty well, but it was a complete pain in the butt to get it round and smooth. (Unfortunately I don’t have a close-up picture.) I’m not sure if I would do it again.
IMG_0778.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
I did it on my Terrordactyl with a couple wraps of FG and a lot of Bondo and sanding. It came out pretty well, but it was a complete pain in the butt to get it round and smooth. (Unfortunately I don’t have a close-up picture.) I’m not sure if I would do it again.
View attachment 333636

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Glad to hear someone else did it. Nice scales on on your high speed dinosaur!

Cut off a short ring of the airframe and permanently epoxy to NC shoulder then use a putty-like epoxy filler (epoxy mixed with cabosil, micro-balloons, etc) to fill and smooth the difference between that thin ring and the original nose cone shoulder. A lesson from CJ iirc...

Back