When does a tracker become necessary

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a proponent of K.I.S.S. I am leaning towards a Com Spec purchase. Although a bit pricey starting out, the system is a bit more idiot proof for my needs. Thanks for the input on my line of questioning.

I use a com spec tracker for my rockets. It has a good range. Make sure you get a tracker protector (nomex) for it.

With that being said- about a year and a half ago, com spec redesigned their transmitter into a smaller package (circular, instead of a box shape). The antenna for these circular ones has a tendency to get pulled out. If this happens during a flight, your tracking ability goes way down. I've probably replaced 3-4 antennas on my transmitter. Granted, I tend to abuse my rockets, but I never had this happen with the old "box style" ones. I was thinking about soldering it together to see if it cooperates more, but I don't know what that'll do to the transmit ability.

I use a com spec tracker for my rockets. It has a good range. Make sure you get a tracker protector (nomex) for it.

With that being said- about a year and a half ago, com spec redesigned their transmitter into a smaller package (circular, instead of a box shape). The antenna for these circular ones has a tendency to get pulled out. If this happens during a flight, your tracking ability goes way down. I've probably replaced 3-4 antennas on my transmitter. Granted, I tend to abuse my rockets, but I never had this happen with the old "box style" ones. I was thinking about soldering it together to see if it cooperates more, but I don't know what that'll do to the transmit ability.

Glen, are you attaching it to the harness? Have you thought of mounting the transmitter in the nose cone?

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

The last couple times I attended a launch, the fliers who used radio trackers always 'taped' the transmitters to the shock cord... I would hope for a nosecone mount, if that would help to protect the fragile antenna.

A tracker becomes necessary when you fly at Bong Rec Area in WI!

Many of us in WOOSH use the com-spec units bought from Wildman. The one I have uses non Ham band 219 MHz, and I use tiny XLF falconry transmitters from LL Electronics. I've never used other types of trackers, but this combo sure works great.

Glen, are you attaching it to the harness? Have you thought of mounting the transmitter in the nose cone?

Yes- quick linked to the harness on the drogue side of DD rockets. I do have some of the APE-RC nose cone sleds, but the problem is switching transmitters, as I usually fly several rockets in a day when I'm using a tracker. I do have an eggfinder on my workbench, which will probably go in the nose. The other part of me wants to save up and get several transmitters, so I don't have to switch during the day.

A GPS tracker becomes necessary any time you want to add cool gadgetry to your rocket and collect data, read telemetry, plot a track, navigate, look at satellites, make kml files, map on Google Earth. etc. No reason needed.

Kinda like dual deploy. Nearly all my HPR flights are dual deploy regardless if they "need" it. I like my flights to "do something."

Latest posts

Back