SAAB 372 ??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Reaction score
Is there any other source for a SAAB 372 besides the TLP kit ?
Or has anyone scratched one for MP thats willing to share ?
Sorry, if this needs to be in the Scale section - feel free to move it mods.

Thanks

I know specific dimensions are a very welcome thing to modeling ,engineering, and scratch building. When that won't do, get a good side profile image, a protractor, a calculator with trig functions, and a ruler. You can rescale any missile any size you want into OR. I tape a sheet of paper over a LCD then trace with the ruler as a straight edge then rescale to whatever motor sizes and tube you want. Get the length to diameter ratios off the real thing's image then multiply by your desired tube diameter for a kit tube length or a nosecone length etc. I just put a SAAB BAMSE into OR, doing Solidworks won't bother me as a engineering student over a break. I see why certain missiles don't have kits, because the parts are complex and (expensive) to produce.

https://sistemasdearmas.com.br/aam/rb72.html

You really picked something obscure to scratch build dude. But I like Swedish missiles too!

S3Is9UWp

This was my first try at putting a BAMSE into Open Rocket from a side profile pic. I already have a Wildman RB-05A Sport which has 38mm MMT for high powered rocketry, but it was rather short compared to a BAMSE and L-2 motors wouldn't fit. I can fit a Baby J in the BAMSE from scratch.

if image fails to display with certain browsers, try

https://imgur.com/S3Is9UW

Last edited:
Alright dude. I modeled a SAAB 372 off of the Wildman centering rings and airframe tubing in Open Rocket. Like any Swedish Missile. You gonna need a sh*t ton of lead in the nose... Because illogical Swedes. You can play with the OR file all you want. Hope it actually attaches, lol. It'll hold a Loki 38-1200 casing just fine. You could just put one into OR or rocksim yourself next time.

I only fly HPR with 38mm MMT... You might want to make it bigger or smaller depending on what budget and goals are.

View attachment SAAB_372.ork

You can play with the fin tab feature all you want for fin mounting through slots. I left that up to you.

What I wanna do for this and the BAMSE is to make the rear transition a solid printable piece power series nosecone in Solidworks at the University as engineer student... Then Lop off the nose cone top with extrude cut. Then Extrude cut a hole in the center for the phenolic motor mount tube. Then add a shoulder so it glues to the rear airframe tubing. Then put an axis through the center in the 3D program and extrude cut four fin slots about a cm deep or so the fins like slide into it. Let me know what you think about that idea... We could SLS 3D print the sucker through a contract service like Xometry...

The thing I can't answer is a easy way to make the fins, I know a CNC mill is possible. I don't know who is best vendor for that. Maybe MAC or Wildman??????? Plus someone or somehow to slot tubes? Unless you want a fin jig printable...
I can do models all day... But the actual manufacturing it is tricky sometimes.

Also the Wildman Centering Rings were 5.4 grams each roughly on the RB-05A Sport kit I had lying around if you need a mass estimate off a rear part. The other nosecone and power series tailcones I don't have a good mass for yet.

I got the power series transition aft tailcone with four fin slots, airframe tube, centering rings, phenolic motor mount, fin jigs, and the nosecone into Solidworks today. The nosecone quotes I'm getting to laser sinter it are $70 and it's hollow. Then another $147 for the aft transition with four aft fin slots. That's why you see a lot of "casting" ops in volume order kits, and because the 3d printing is slowest process. Granted its SLS Nylon 12 usually cheaper than their ABS offering which is accurate to 1/1000th of an inch. I screwed up my screenshot of the model and it is corrupted white or something odd, all my model .sldprt files are fine. Got home and its corrupted white, after four hours of modelling it. I'll try to get a picture of the assembly uploaded tomorrow or later this week. We are at a point of manufacture on iteration 1 prototype right now. Need to look into component masses for real.

For example a custom 29mm nosecone for a university bird was only $50 from them... Usually 4-7 days shipped to door. I left the aft transition on this rocket basically solid for structural integrity around that motor liner since its a fin mount too.

Right now I have a fin jig for the main fins which glue on MD style. Let me know if a fin tab setup is preferred. Thinkin' 3/32" fins G10 fiberglass sheet. Granted the SAAB 372 didn't exist in kit form for 54mm airframes, and doing it first time always $$.

Back