Tips on building old Estes Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First question is, why would you want to? I'd just mask it off. The little fiddly bits might take a bit more cutting small bits of tape. If you want to make the whole surface an even color, your only choice is to make several mist coats, letting it dry completely between (and watching for any problems). but i still wouldn't recommend it.

I would stay away from lacquers. Fast drying enamel will work. That is...spray cans.
Or do you mean the 2 part catalized used in auto body shops?
I have been using Rustoleum grey sandible primer on the BTs before I put the wraps on. I am not sure which ones are lacquers and which ones are not. The primer cans don't tell which ones they are

First question is, why would you want to? I'd just mask it off. The little fiddly bits might take a bit more cutting small bits of tape. If you want to make the whole surface an even color, your only choice is to make several mist coats, letting it dry completely between (and watching for any problems). but i still wouldn't recommend it.
Due to the reduction wrap not fitting correctly I had to cut a section of the plastic out of the scrap and make the wrap come farther down on the cardstock transition that is underneath so I need to spray this section where the seam is between them and sand it smooth. A filler is too thick and will be too hard to apply in a very thin and uniform manner. about the only thing that would work where I need it is something that can be painted on and sanded.

Does anyone know if you can spry sandible automotive primer on the polystyrene wraps?
I use Tamiya Surface Primer on plastic parts. It has no heavy fillers so it does not blur fine details. It’s expensive but works great, and you can get it at Hobby Lobby and save 40% with coupon or smartphone app.

Does anyone know if you can spry sandible automotive primer on the polystyrene wraps?

If you keep the coats light, it could work. But be careful as one time I had old formula Krylon sandable primer craze wraps on an Estes Saturn 1B back into flat sheets in spots. When in doubt, test first.

Best stuff I have found is the Tamiya line of spray primers. They can be expensive per can, but in the states Hobby Lobby typically carries a can of each of the white fine and gray standard and a 40% off coupon can make short work of the price. For building, standard gray works the best. Then switch to the fine white in preparation for white paint.

Back