WD40 vs. Pam vs. Bare Rod

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary7

Reaction score
Over time the launch rod requires cleaning. I use Goo Gone and a paper towel or plain steel wool. The natural question for me is, does a lubricant of any kind improve launch and prevent launch lugs from sticking? Some lubricants I thought of are WD 40 (which I have used at some club launches), Pam cooking spray or nothing at all. Thoughts, comments, suggestions? I use 1/4 inch stainless and 1/2 plain rolled steel.

Our club uses stainless steel rods and we just wipe them down after each launch day with a baby wipe - it takes all the soot and residue off just fine, doesn't scratch them and, being stainless, they don't need oil or anything else. Just clean them before the residue builds up several layers and/or hardens with time.

First and foremost DON"T ever use cooking sprays. They dry out and get very sticky. I don't use plain steel rods, always seem to rust in time no matter what you do. The extra cost for stainless is well worth it / the rods will last forever with proper care.. Oil and cardboard do not mix well either. I use a Scotch Brite green pad for cleaning and spray some silicone on a cloth and wipe the rods/rails after each use.

I've been using a product called "Honda Polish" which is a quick detailing product (cleaning + waxing) for motorcycles. It seems to be a cross between WD-40 and a liquid wax. Cleans the rod between flights and leaves a hard, slick surface.

Rcktnut, got to it before me. Scotch Brite and some spray silicone is what I use. You can use a solvent if it has been some time since any maintenance has been done to the rods or rails. Mineral spirits works great or Gunk engine brite if it is pretty nasty, it will stay wet while you scrub it with the Scotch Brite and then just rinse it off with water. Once it is dry spray it down with the silicone and leave it set in the corner for a day. The silicone will not promote any BP residue sticking to it like a wet lubricant will. Mineral spirits will help break down the BP residue and the Gunk engine clearer has kerosene in it and is a lubricant used when cutting Aluminum (best for rails) but works just as good on stainless steal. It will help break down BP residue also.

A thin paste made from baking powder and diluted vinegar to clean. Auto paste wax (buffed down very well) to lubricate and protect. Storage in a dry case (easily made from PVC tubing and a couple of end caps) to keep down the rust. Make sure that the vinegar is diluted and don't leave it on too long or it will pit the steel. Ideally, use Type 316 (marine grade) stainless steel rods if you can. Don't use any "wet" or oily lubricants or anything that leaves a residue on the rod, or the scale nuts and finish freaks (including me) will have you drawn and quartered right there on the field.

Last edited:
First and foremost DON"T ever use cooking sprays. They dry out and get very sticky.

I know that when my kids spray the non-stick cookie sheets with PAM before baking their frozen pizzas, the sheets come out of the oven with a gummy baked-on layer of crap. And no, I have not been able to break them of the habit (their mother is the one telling them to do this).

The same thing would almost certainly happen if PAM was left on a launch rod. The rocket exhaust would probably turn it into the same gummy junk.

I get best results with cleaning with whatever, use oil or gun cleaner for the final scrub with steel wool, then wipe it as dry as I can get it.

I like to use a liberal coating of oil before I put away launch rods for any length of time.

Last edited:
I know that when my kids spray the non-stick cookie sheets with PAM before baking their frozen pizzas, the sheets come out of the oven with a gummy baked-on layer of crap. And no, I have not been able to break them of the habit (their mother is the one telling them to do this).
Baking pizzas on a cookie sheet? No, no, no, that is so wrong! Put frozen ones directly onto the oven rack, so that you can toast the bottom of the crust. And no spray, but you already knew that. You can use a dry pan sprinkled with a little bit of cornmeal for fresh-made ones, but a flat stone is better.

Baking pizzas on a cookie sheet? No, no, no, that is so wrong! Put frozen ones directly onto the oven rack, so that you can toast the bottom of the crust. And no spray, but you already knew that. You can use a dry pan sprinkled with a little bit of cornmeal for fresh-made ones, but a flat stone is better.

MMMMMmmmmm..... Pizza.... (Homer Simpson voice) :D OL JR :)

I clean my rods and rails with just the old plain baby wipes. I treat my rods and rails with a product from Zep called Zeplon. It is a dry lube with teflon in it. Makes a very slippery surface and also stuff does not stick to it.

I used some Remington gun oil wipes I found at walmart once for this purpose. They travel well and seemed to work.

Over time the launch rod requires cleaning. I use Goo Gone and a paper towel or plain steel wool. The natural question for me is, does a lubricant of any kind improve launch and prevent launch lugs from sticking? Some lubricants I thought of are WD 40 (which I have used at some club launches), Pam cooking spray or nothing at all. Thoughts, comments, suggestions? I use 1/4 inch stainless and 1/2 plain rolled steel.

When I'm doing Cd curve or thrust curve measurement, I use Vaseline or lip balm (more convenient) on the rod. Others curse me, of course, but you can lose your soul only once.

-LarryC

Back