EggFinder LCD GPS add-on

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I echo the response above. I'm just a script kiddie and wouldn't be able to experiment without learning for the experiences and posts of others.
It takes a fair amount of humility to post one's endeavor's leaving one open to "public baths" as A. Lincoln used to call his public audiences.

I have no scruples copying somebody else's methods especially if they are a heck of a lot better than what I intended to do. I try to give credit if anyone see's
what I've done and like it too. If I don't remember the name I at least state it wasn't my idea.

Best advice a prefect ever gave me me (along the lines of the advice given Benjamin Braddock in the Graduate, "Plastics".)
was "Press fit when you can." Kurt :)

I finished soldering the GPS add-on, updated the software on the LCD Receiver, and installed them in the 3D printed case I designed and printed to hold both parts along with the Bluetooth module.

Now I just have to go outside and play with the new GPS add-on before flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

IMG_6315.jpg

IMG_6336.jpg

I flew my EF mini to 5445' on Saturday. Never lost contact with the rocket. The GPS-LCD module aloud me to walk right to it. Even though visual was reacquired around a thousand feet. And it landed 890 ft from me as per my LCD. But it worked perfectly as intended. I did still have my smartphone running GPS rocket locator. But it was not necessary

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I finished rebuilding my LCD box. I can now fly and track my two stage rocket, with just one box.

I mounted two LCD units with one LCD-GPS module feeding both displays. Currently have a BT module hooked up to the top display. But I'm going split the TX and RX with a DPDT switch so either unit can use it.

Right now I have a 1000 mAh 2s lipo running everything. A bigger 2200 mAh is currently on its way and will attach to the case back.

Everything seams to work. But numbers seamed kind of off while just stationary testing. 1213170703.jpg1213170720.jpg1213170732.jpg1213170738.jpg1213170759a.jpg

Just a reminder to everyone using these. Don't point the antennas in the direction of the rocket. Best reception is with the signal side-on to the sticks. I have seen many people at launches getting this wrong. It won't help with your tracking :)

Dastardly build! Looks great. You got your power switches set up so you can use one or the other or both? Kurt
Currently, one switch is power for both and the other switch is for back light for both. They each have their own push button. I believe I can run all day on One battery charge with the current setup.

Yessir, that's correct! Fight that urge, fight that urge, fight that urge! Unless using a Yagi on 70cm (400Mhz), 1.25meters (215Mhz), or 2 meter band (144Mhz). Technically the beamwidth of a Yagi on 33cm (900Mhz ISM) is pretty narrow and might be
hard to keep properly pointed at a rocket in flight. Exception is for ground recovery I've found on three tests that a Yagi on 900Mhz most definitely increases the ground footprint of the tracker. The rocket is generally stationary or if blowing across the ground
from the wind it's easy to keep the Yagi pointed at it. For sport flying where the rocket is relatively close, the Yagi will tell you a bit "sooner" you will find it as opposed to reacquiring the signal a little later.
The 900Mhz Yagi might prove it's worth for a project that lands a far distance away where the last known position and the final landing point is out of the ground footprint of a vertical antenna on the receiver. For most of us including myself
this is not necessary 90% of the time. Kurt

I finished rebuilding my LCD box. I can now fly and track my two stage rocket, with just one box.

I mounted two LCD units with one LCD-GPS module feeding both displays. Currently have a BT module hooked up to the top display. But I'm going split the TX and RX with a DPDT switch so either unit can use it.

Right now I have a 1000 mAh 2s lipo running everything. A bigger 2200 mAh is currently on its way and will attach to the case back.

Everything seams to work. But numbers seamed kind of off while just stationary testing. View attachment 334232

Is this still working out for you? Anything you would change? I'm thinking of picking up another Eggfinder LCD and doing the same thing to track my two stage.

cheers - mark

Is this still working out for you? Anything you would change? I'm thinking of picking up another Eggfinder LCD and doing the same thing to track my two stage.

cheers - mark

It was working great. And then I messed up the add on GPS. I gave it to Cris at LDRS to take a look at. I'm not sure I would change much. Maybe smaller more compact switches, and have each on its own power switch. With the 2200 mAh 2S I have in the case, it could run all day with the backlight on. So I might just jumper the backlight and not have it on a switch.

Back