Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    With those restrictions, you will be hard-pressed to find a 4" FG rocket that will stay under your waiver limits. I suggest you download Open Rocket (free) where you can lay in a design and simulate flights to see what you can use to keep your altitudes down. As far as motor tube goes, There is nothing wrong with using a bigger hole and an adapter, so that if you go to a field with a higher waiver you can let her rip.

Also, you can fabricate a removable dead weight to attach into your rocket to limit its altitude. You just have to make sure your impulse at launch is sufficient enough. I had to do that with my L3 attempt because I was flying on a field with a 9,000' waiver and my rocket was simming to 10,000'. I made a 5-lb. weight that attached to the threaded rods inside the AV bay, which brought the sim down to 8,000'. The rocket flew to 7,900'.

As far as kits go, I'd look at 5.5" kits like the Wildman Jart or Gizmo. The Gizmo is fun as heck to fly and it is rugged. Madcow has a 5.5" Nike Smoke and V-2 that are reasonably priced. With all of these, however you would need to either buy a DD add-on or get creative with a less conventional configuration. My 5.5" Gizmo separated normally with the nose cone and booster at apogee, but I should out the main with a chute cannon in the nose. It worked pretty well. These all have 54mm holes so you can either use a 2-grain 54mm J or use an adapter to fit in a 38mm J motor, which will be just as strong, but longer.

The nice thing about 54mm motor tubes is that depending on the size of your rocket, you can fly up to baby L motors, which can be flown with an L2 certification. 38mm motor tubes limit you to a nearly full J.

Evan Brown
    NAR# 92851, TRA# 14596, Level 3

I don't brag...but I DO state the facts.

This is my Gizmo with a chute cannon main for DD. The launch is with a CTI K454 Skid. Flew to 4,400'. With a small J, it should stay well under 3,000'.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DD Pod 1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	333265 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DD Pod 2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	333266 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0215 a.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	333267

Evan Brown
    NAR# 92851, TRA# 14596, Level 3

I don't brag...but I DO state the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex R View Post
    sorry Jim no kit reccomedation here. I will however say that doing a dual deploy for the 1st time as part of a cert attempt is asking for trouble. I will however mention that Madcow is not the only fish in the pond.
    Rex
    *edit*
    the rocket listed in my sig. isn't the same as the current version.
    10-4 I would get your feet wet on DD with L1 rockets...My first DD was using G64 and alot o fun. You want confidence with dual deploy before using it in a cert launch...unless your going with the JollyLogic chute release...you dont need much smarts to use it.lol
    LOC Graduator
    Level 1 Aerotech Mirage H135W
    Level 2 J285Madcow AGM PIKE-33 Standard 4"

Quote Originally Posted by EeebeeE View Post
    With those restrictions, you will be hard-pressed to find a 4" FG rocket that will stay under your waiver limits.
    What? There have to be a dozen J motors that will stay under 3K in a 4" FG rocket.

And there are two K motors for 38mm
    Last edited by DavidMcCann; 8th December 2017 at 02:28 AM.
    David McCann
    Dave's Rockets | My Flights
    URRG |URRF 4| Level 2 | TRA# 14210