Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

OpenRocket: packaged installers for Windows and Mac to solve all your Java problems

Mods, pretty please make this a sticky.

Background
    Skip over this section if you just want to get up and running as quickly as possible.

Normally when you download and run a Java program such as OpenRocket, it executes using the system JRE (Java Runtime Environment) installed on your machine. Unfortunately, different JRE versions (especially the newest ones starting with 1.9) do not always retain 100% compatibility. Or even if they're compatible in theory, various problems can crop up that cause your Java program to misbehave or crash. There are other annoyances as well, like you can't pin the OpenRocket JAR file to the dock on the Mac (at least, not in the app area where you'd want it), and on Windows OR doesn't behave well with high-DPI screens.

A solution to all these problems is to use packaged versions of the application. These install like regular applications, and include their own JRE built in. This bundled JRE will remain completely separate from your system JRE, and will only be used by OR. Therefore you do not need to have Java installed on your machine. Over the course of several months, these packaged installers have resolved every single instance of user having trouble running OR. At least that I've heard about.

The current version of OR is (still) 15.03; these packaged installers run the original OR code; nothing has been changed or modified here.

Windows

Click here for the installer. The file is hosted on Dropbox, but you don't have to register or anything. If you see this dialog:

just click on "No thanks, continue to view" at the bottom and then click the "Download" button on the next screen.

The application uses a standard installer, but it doesn't (at present) provide a shortcut on the desktop or the start menu. After installing, the actual executable file for the application is installed into your user/AppData/Local/OpenRocket folder. So you can go in there, right click the "OpenRocket.exe" file, and create a shortcut, pin it to the taskbar and/or pin it in the start menu, whatever.

Mac
    Click here for the .dmg file. Again, this is on Dropbox; see above instructions to bypass the "register" dialog if you get it. This behaves like a typical application image: double click the downloaded file, and it will open up a window showing the OR icon and an alias to the "Applications" folder. Drag the OR icon onto the Applications folder icon and the app is installed there. Then run it from that folder, or use Launchpad, Spotlight, or whatever other application launcher you favor.

Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 7.24.19 PM.png 
Views:	209 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	332959  
    Recently completed: Starship Avalon / in progress: Accur8 Trajector and Ragnarok Orbital Interceptor / planning: Alcubierre and Plasma Dart 2
    My design thread / Fleet pics /
    My OR Renderings

Does it import all of your files and settings from the Java OR?

NAR 91107, Level 2

I really, really hate bugs.

Yup.

[edit: let me rephrase that: I'm pretty sure it does. I've never noticed any difference in my personalizations regardless of which version I'm using (I tend to switch around quite a bit). If you try it (no reason not to) let me know if everything is in order.]
    Last edited by neil_w; 27th November 2017 at 02:20 AM.
    Recently completed: Starship Avalon / in progress: Accur8 Trajector and Ragnarok Orbital Interceptor / planning: Alcubierre and Plasma Dart 2
    My OR Renderings

I installed it, everything seems to work fine. I now have a shortcut in my taskbar. Awesome!
    NAR 91107, Level 2

I really, really hate bugs.

Note that on the Mac you'll have to control-click to open it the first time in order to bypass the Gatekeeper - or at least i did just now (running Sierra).
    Bernard Cawley
    NAR 89040 L1
    AMA 42160
    KG7AIE

Quote Originally Posted by BEC View Post
    Note that on the Mac you'll have to control-click to open it the first time in order to bypass the Gatekeeper - or at least i did just now (running Sierra).
    Yes, that is to be expected.
    My OR Renderings

Quote Originally Posted by BEC View Post
    I just upgraded to High Sierra on the Mac and could not get the normal version of OR to run but using the pagkage linked to above it worked fine. Under HS you now have to have admin rights (or name and password) to enter an exception to the security rules. You can't just right click and open it anymore. But I'm not complaining about a more secure environment, it's just a one time minor annoyance.

Thanks for taking the time to package it up, sure saved me a lot of grief trying to figure out why it won't launch.

Tony
    why do people put so much stuff in their sigs?

that's pretty awesome I've been having the darnedest time trying to get open rocket to work on this computer.
    it wants me to install it every time I have tried to open it, is this normal?
    NAR# 104365

disregard the installing question. I'm a moron sometimes. I created a shortcut for the installer
    NAR# 104365

I can attest, this has solved every issue of OpenRocket that happened for everyone learning it in the UAH rocketry club. If you have a high DPI screen, this is the way to go.
    Matt, Tripoli #14257
    L1 11/13/16
    L2 2/25/17
    L3 Spring 2018....
    Facebook Youtube

Mac user here....thanks so much! This is so helpful...