Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Foam sealing product question

At some point in the future I will be building the Quest "MLAS" rocket, but have a question about sealing the foam nosecone. I have read on the forum about the different products that have been used to seal/smooth foam parts, but not the one recommended to me today while at Hobby Lobby. It's called FloraCraft 'Smooth Finish". Anybody ever use this product, and if so, were you happy with the results?

If we can't fix your brakes, we'll make your horn louder!!

I never used it but I would go through a practice process first before using it on your kit.

NAR # 89516
    HPR Cert Level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut56 View Post
    At some point in the future I will be building the Quest "MLAS" rocket, but have a question about sealing the foam nosecone. I have read on the forum about the different products that have been used to seal/smooth foam parts, but not the one recommended to me today while at Hobby Lobby. It's called FloraCraft 'Smooth Finish". Anybody ever use this product, and if so, were you happy with the results?
    I have 2 tubs of it that I have no use for. I thought it was going to be a hard shell sealer when in fact, it's very soft. Not what I was expecting. I found a DIY recipe for a firm seal that is relatively dirt cheap and in the smallest available product sizes, will give you loads of mileage. If you want this FloroCraft stuff, I'll give it to you. Just send $5.00 for shipping.
    Thinking outside the box is normal for me. Went inside the box once and got claustrophobic.
    Can't never did!
    Inventions weren't created by skeptics.
    There's a bright side to every screwed up week.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Byrum View Post
    I have 2 tubs of it that I have no use for. I thought it was going to be a hard shell sealer when in fact, it's very soft. Not what I was expecting. I found a DIY recipe for a firm seal that is relatively dirt cheap and in the smallest available product sizes, will give you loads of mileage. If you want this FloroCraft stuff, I'll give it to you. Just send $5.00 for shipping.
    Gary, Thanks for the feedback on this product. I would have hated to use this and then screw up the nosecone. If possible, could you tell me the recipe for the DIY seal you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut56 View Post
    Gary, Thanks for the feedback on this product. I would have hated to use this and then screw up the nosecone. If possible, could you tell me the recipe for the DIY seal you use?
    I imagine FloroCraft might make for a good filler for foam having about the same stiffness when dried. The DIY stuff is in the video. The recipe is in text as the video speeds along. My 1st test with it made me wonder why he used as much water as he did, so, on my 2nd batch, I regulated the water as a final ingredient to get the thickness I thought was necessary. You might want to experiment with it. Word up tho, Thin coats are going to be brittle as thicker coats will be tougher. I probably have 5-6 coats on my nose cone and it did quite well. There will be some sanding between coats.

Thinking outside the box is normal for me. Went inside the box once and got claustrophobic.
    Can't never did!
    Inventions weren't created by skeptics.
    There's a bright side to every screwed up week.

Thanks for the info.