Wildman Sandhawk and L2 possibilities.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew_ASC

UTC SEDS 2017 3rd/ SEDS 2018 1st
Reaction score
Does anyone have info about the MMT diameter or overall length? I don't see any info posted under Wildman's rocketry website on this particular model. It might be newer?

Hmm.... Looks like a black Saturday kit got out from behind the curtain early...
After looking at it more closely, my guess is that it is a "sport model". So, possibly a 29mm mmt. Might be a junior with a 38mm mmt. That and fin thickness are the main differences between sports and juniors...

It better be a Wildman Scale kit rather than a LOC kit. Wildman typically approves of big motors into smaller rockets. That RB-05A Sport takes 38mm I and Baby J casings fine. Even the Blackhawk29 swallows an I motor. LOC only uses an H????? It's Wildman not GirlyMan.... We want to make rocket go soar with massive flame out back. ;).

Or it’s the LOC kit. https://www.locprecision.com/product/sandhawk/

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Perhaps...but there is a Wildman Sandhawk in the wild. I know because I own one. It is a 2.6” kit with a 38mm mount. It came with a one-piece thin-wall body tube, so I built it with an A.P.E. head-end altimeter bay for apogee deployment and a chute release for the main. It was available only during a BS sale 3...maybe 4...years ago, as far as I know. I’ve never seen or heard of any other than mine. It is definitely “sport scale” and is an extremely stable flyer with scale-like flights using a smoky motor.

It will be interesting to see if this is the same kit.

Cheers,
Michael

6161.jpg 6165.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps...but there is a Wildman Sandhawk in the wild. I know because I own one. It is a 2.6” kit with a 38mm mount. It came with a one-piece thin-wall body tube, so I built it with an A.P.E. head-end altimeter bay for apogee deployment and a chute release for the main. It was available only during a BS sale 3...maybe 4...years ago, as far as I know. I’ve never seen or heard of any other than mine. It is definitely “sport scale” and is an extremely stable flyer with scale-like flights using a smoky motor.

Cheers,
Michael

View attachment 332797 View attachment 332800

Never heard of a WM SandHawk

Thanks, Michael. Hopefully Wildman publishes more info. Your words and photos are encouraging. The RB-05A Sport was "Stumpy Scale Rocket" to the RSO. He'd never seen one either and he really wanted the whole body tube just longer for ease of packing, lol.

Cheers,
Michael

View attachment 332797 View attachment 332800

I have one also. Goes really high on small 38mm motors. I also use a Chute release with mine.

How high does it go on a good I motor like a 38/480 casing?

How high does it go on a good I motor like a 38/480 casing?

It is draggy because of the large fins and overstability, but it handles long burn motors well because of it's light weight. It flies to about 3k on an I154...slow and graceful. It is not an altitude queen, but it flies well on many, MANY different motors.

Cheers,
Michael

View attachment wildman sandhawk.rkt

It flies to about 3k on an I154...slow and graceful. It is not an altitude queen, but it flies well on many, MANY different motors.

Gee that's so much better than the SAAB. For CERT flights and whatnot. Like a tiny H219 punts it 3,800ft and a i300T went to 5400ft.

You may want to check the weights on my computer model. I haven't simmed it in years, but those altitudes seem a little optimistic based on my real-world experience...

Cheers,
Michael

I haven't...but I think a J94 would make for a brilliant flight!

Cheers,
Michael

Just call them and ask what you just bought, they don't bite on the phone or anything. Sandhawks are cool and this one quietly just appeared on the website. Let us know what you find out!

It might be a Wildman kit and not a LOC kit. Who knows. I like the suspense of the surprise so don't ruin it.

LOC has two different sizes. The 1.63” park flyer version and the 3.10” version.

Make that THREE different sizes. They recently released the "Yank" 5.5" Sandhawk as well. It looks like it has a lot of potential!

Cheers,
Michael

Yeah I doubt I got a 5.5" kit for $89. It's likely a 38mm MMT and 2.6" airframe I hope... Because I don't know where I'm gonna store something umm bigger.

Yeah I doubt I got a 5.5" kit for $89. It's likely a 38mm MMT and 2.6" airframe I hope... Because I don't know where I'm gonna store something umm bigger.

Yeah...That is what you got. I think you will be very happy with it. I'm guessing Tim will have to fab it for you, but it will be worth it. It is a rare bird!

Cheers,
Michael

Maybe a Loki 38/1200 will actually fit. Plus its a cool excuse to build a scratch booster later and have a multistage different than a Nike Nike Madcow kit. I could even run 38's on the booster if I wanted too for economy. I was running out of length in the other kit um expand.

Maybe a Loki 38/1200 will actually fit. Plus its a cool excuse to build a scratch booster later and have a multistage different than a Nike Nike Madcow kit. I could even run 38's on the booster if I wanted too for economy. I was running out of length in the other kit um expand.

38-1200 case will easily fit in this rocket

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Make that THREE different sizes. They recently released the "Yank" 5.5" Sandhawk as well. It looks like it has a lot of potential!

Cheers,
Michael

Yep... I have both the 5.5" and park flyer Sandhawks on my build pile. I think I need to look into this one from Wildman a bit more!

Considering the size of the fins I would worry about flutter on that Loki. I would at least run it through Finsim first.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I have v4.53 and will check the NACA 4197TN flutter on it. Right now the only thing going in it or the SAAB are either H219t-14A or an RMS 38/480 I load sometime in spring for a certification flight. Also weathervane might be an issue if winds are bad. Might be best not to fly it on windy days. It's not impossible to trim fin span for stability and flutter but that ruins a rare kit to some people. Right now I like the fact it's draggier than the SAAB.

Back