StratoLogger CF vs Eggtimer Quantum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normzilla

Reaction score
I was wondering which would be better for this noob to get into electronics.

Not concerned about price differences but am more wanting something that is very user friendly.

I'm sure both are great units but which is more intuitive, has a low learning curve, and will fit in my Mongoose 38 better...My biggest issue with the Eggtimer is having to put the unit together, not sure the CF requires soldering.

Thanks
Nate

I love them both. But given your situation, I'd suggest the StratoLogger CF. It's very simple and reliable. It's already fabricated... no soldering on the altimeter is required. The Perfectflite interface application works well and will plot your flight data for you , so you'll want to pick up their USB interface cable and adapter so that you can download data from it.

The Quantum, has more features. However, with the WiFi capability, it draws more current and will require a larger battery than the StratoLoggerCF.
I love the WiFi interface, particularly for firing test charges.
To plot data from the Quantum, you'll need to use a spreadsheet or other 3rd party or home brew application.

For you, definitely get the SCF. I use an Eggtimer in my 54mm Tomach and it eats up a fair amount of space.

Especially if you ever want to get more into electronics for the sake of electronics, definitely get yourself an Eggtimer for a bigger rocket. It is a great product and you will learn a fair amount from it.

For comparison, here's a photo of a few altimeters next to an 8" 38mm coupler. The sled fits in the coupler and has a strattologer cf, two missile works screw switches, and a easymega. It's an insanely tight fit. The other units are: an eggtimer quantum, quark, eggfinder TX, RRC3, and eggfinder mini. Any of these can fit in a 38mm coupler. The eggfinder quantum is my favorite. Very easy to program, and download data. No switch required so no space taken up by switches!!! It does require soldering it together like all eggtimer products. If you're looking at the strattologer cf we have two of them and they've been bulletproof reliable - it's a great product.

20171124_123747_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
For comparison, here's a photo of a few altimeters next to an 8" 38mm coupler. The sled fits in the coupler and has a strattologer cf, two missile works screw switches, and a easymega. It's an insanely tight fit. The other units are: an eggtimer quantum, quark, eggfinder TX, RRC3, and eggfinder mini. Any of these can fit in a 38mm coupler. The eggfinder quantum is my favorite. Very easy to program, and download data. No switch required so no space taken up by switches!!! It does require soldering it together like all eggtimer products. If you're looking at the strattologer cf we have two of them any they've been bulletproof reliable - it's a great product.
Yeah, I need more time practicing my soldering.

Neat setup. I am also going to pick up an Addictive Aerospace sled and now need a tracker and a way to mount it in the nose cone....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Here's a couple we've used. One slides into a 38mm nose cone and is held with set screws, the other fits into a 29mm motor mount - on a 2" or larger tube a 29mm Estes motor retainer fits for an easy quick swap option.

20171124_131849.jpg

Here's a couple we've used. One slides into a 38mm nose cone and is held with set screws, the other fits into a 29mm motor mount - on a 2" or larger tube a 29mm Estes motor retainer fits for an easy quick swap option.
Where are those sleds from?

What equipment do you have on there?

Thanks

The sleds are stuff I knocked out last summer using Solidworks and a cheap 3D printer. The 29mm (could fit a 24mm tube) is an Eggtimer mini. The 38mm is an old rev. 1.2 Telemetrum. There's someone selling a similar sled for the Eggfinder on the forum ( https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-EF-sleds-available/page2&highlight=Eggfinder ). If you don't have a 3D printer or CAD he's probably the best option for a 29mm Eggfinder mini sled. If you want a great CAD program, a student version of Solidworks is available with an EAA membership ($40 as year) https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center . I did a similar sled a couple years ago for a 29mm motor mount using 1/8 & 1/4 plywood. I could post the 38mm sled files on Thingverse if your interested.

Last edited:
For $30 on sale, it might be worth picking up a Quantum just for the remote test feature - that’s a super simple and effective way to ground test.

The Strato or an RRC"x" are fine choices if you don't want to solder. I dorked a Quantum and suspect I got a solder Bridge Under the wifi chip. Built four others without any issues whatsoever. There is a learning curve to the EggTimer
But it isn't that bad compared to a Raven or the old Mission Control deployment device. Kurt

Last edited:
For $30 on sale, it might be worth picking up a Quantum just for the remote test feature - that’s a super simple and effective way to ground test.
The quark has a computerless/cableless test mode also..even cheaper than quantum and same size as stratologger

Kenny

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

What would they have over the cf?

Essentially similar in capability. Missileworks is having the 19% sale and you can get an rrc2+ for about $36.

Also, customer service by Jim Amos is top notch- really one of the best manufacturers to work with in the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Essentially similar in capability. Missileworks is having the 19% sale and you can get an rrc2+ for about $36.

Also, customer service by Jim Amos is top notch- really one of the best manufacturers to work with in the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum
The SCF, RRC3, and the quantum have data logging. The quark and RRC2 do not (they just beep out max altitude & speed). The RRC3 and quantum are capable of air starting cluster or multistage rockets. All of them are good units.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Back