24mm Reloadable Hardware? CTI/Aerotech/others?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew_ASC

UTC SEDS 2017 3rd/ SEDS 2018 1st
Reaction score
I want opinions on both manufacturers reloads for a Blackhawk24 or other scratch MD type project. I am looking mainly at CTI 24mm 6 grain casing and the HPR/MPR loads. The issue I am having is the CTI 1 and 3 grain MPR loads have HAZMAT which I'd like to supplement with Aerotech E or F reload able hardware without Haz. (I don't mind paying HaZ on a hpr reload for performance). Do you guys have any opinions on the Aerotech 24-40/60/120 hardware and loads? Does anyone have experience with the one CTI 24mm 6 grain MPR load?

I've assembled the Aerotech 38/480 reloads into casings for HPR but am new to MPR. What I'd like to do is have a smaller rocket cover both MPR and HPR roles economically and also retain the ability to bore holes into waivers if I wish too. Just mulling over a side project cheap to tweak nosecones with.

CTI's 24mm hardware and reloads are the shiznit. GREAT stuff.
Get a set of hardware, buy a bunch of reloads, and fly happy. You won't regret it.

s6

Last edited:
The L-1 certification will be a no factor later this year or earlier next year. I borked up one cert attempt this year on a different 57.5mm diameter rocket with a AT 38mm load. I do not intend to cert on the Blackhawk24 for clarification. Closest year round prefecture has multiple hour drive. No vendor support usually.

Right now I'm sold on the CTI 24mm 6 grain casing for HPR G loads.
I'm not convinced is the Aerotech RMS 24-40 vs CTI 1 grainer about Hazmats.
They typically don't stock this stuff locally and if I'm buying smaller MPR loads for fun I want away from hazmats long term.

Hmmmm... Are the CTI 24mm 1-3 grain casing significantly easier end user maintenance than the Aerotech despite the hazmat fees? This is what I don't have experience in is using the smaller casings and cleaning either.

I've flown aerotech 18/20, 24/40, 24/60 and 29/40-120 in addition to 29mm HPR reloads.

I also have a club member buddy who flies 24mm and 29mm CTI.

CTI at this size range is definitely easier prep and cleanup.

That said, I enjoy building the motors and the cleanup isn't all that bad. I soak in soapy (dish soap) water and clean with an old toothbrush. Maybe 20 minutes in the evening after launch day to clean 3-4 cases.

Can also "quick clean" at the field with baby wipes if need to reuse the same case for another flight ...

I don't think you can go wrong either way it all depends on what you like!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I don't believe Aerotech 24/40 reloads are hazmat.
Yeah and Apogee had all the CTI ones as HAZ. Anyways thanks guys for opinions both ways. Either way this will be fun. And it's inexpensive enough I might try both brands.

I've flown almost a 100 24 mm AT reloads and recently tried CTI 24 mm. Biggest differences are ease of building for CTI but $$$$ is about $15 a shot, AT reloads are a lot cheaper One other thing about AT is F39's over pressurizing the rear closure and popping it off If that happens You shouldn't fly anymore F 39's again in that case I've flown smaller F's in a blown case but eventually you will have to get a new case I have at least 3 popped cases But still like the smaller 24 mm for Estes kits

I have a BH24.
It flies most of the time on AT F-39's & F-24's. Unless you have wide open space, that's all you want for sport flying.

On those motors it gets 15-2000ft or more. I fly motor eject, no altimeter and a Marshall Scout RF tracker. I base altitude on the fact I have the BH 29 [with altimeter] and those motors go 12-1500ft.

At motor burn out...you will no longer see it!
These AT loads come in 3 packs and very economical to fly. Wildman sells them for 40% off all the time if you are Club member...cases too [All Hobbyline stuff]
They all ship NO HAZ.

I also have the CTI 24mm 3 & 6G cases......those loads are all monsters. 3 grain F-85 will put BH24 to 4800ft. had a pico 2 gram altimeter in that flight...landed 1.2 miles away . The 6 grain reloads scare me in that rocket.
The 3 grain F-240 V-max will blow your mind in any Mid-powe rocket.
All CTI reloads are pre-assembled & shipped inside the liner. That's why they must ship HAZ., even though may be under weight limit.

I would first get the AT case and loads they are cheap and HZ free. Then add a CTI case/loads or 2 when you want to punch holes in the sky, and can find a friend to bring some back from a launch to save on Haz.

Don't know when you will see a BH 24...tubes/nc to make have been hard to come by.

But should you happen to be very serious about a 24mm minimum, I can tell you where to get a true 6 to1 Von Karmon NC ...BH24 next to it. for 20 bucks

DSCN5220.jpg

Oh heck.... the whole record getting set up, custom made for you....Carbon Uni-prepreg airframe/fins [weighs in grams] AND a custom 24mm tailcone for CTI hardware...
Probably under or around 100 bucks.

DSCN5353.jpg DSCN5354.jpg

DSCN5357.jpg

The 6 grain reloads scare me in that rocket.

Did this little bit jump out at anyone else?
Any motor that scares CrazyJim has GOT to be a lot of fun, don't you think?

Of course, now that there are quite a few GPS tracking systems that will fit in a 24mm airframe (and are pretty reasonable cost-wise), well the "scary" factor is perhaps lessened a bit. But that leaves even more of the "fun".

yep,
s6

I placed third at SEDS a college multistage HPR competition with University of Tennessee Chattanooga, the nobodies out of 88 others. We had a CATO on sustainer and still got third by exceeding the competition recommended altitude goal. And we imploded a 29-38 MD on a Bonneville salt flat that accelerated too fast to track. The slackers are real scared. They brought 54mm diameter pigs. I've already designed my own nosecones for trackers on a BH29. Don't know if that's serious enough about MD. Have HAM. Will MD...

Did this little bit jump out at anyone else?
Any motor that scares CrazyJim has GOT to be a lot of fun, don't you think?

SEDS lets you four stage em' but no one has the balls or guts to try that boldness yet. LOLL...

Oh heck.... the whole record getting set up, custom made for you....Carbon Uni-prepreg airframe/fins [weighs in grams] AND a custom 24mm tailcone for CTI hardware...
Probably under or around 100 bucks.

$107 plus shipping for mine including the milled forward anchor ( replaces the ejection charge ) and tailcone.

Tim put a batch up last night and they sold out this morning. There's going to be another batch maybe later in the year or next year. I'm in no rush.

Back