New Eggtimer Quantum Board & Software

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As some of you may have already found out, we're shipping a new version of the Eggtimer Quantum board. It's "almost" the same, except that we've changed out the full-wave bridge for two separate rectifiers. We have found that the bridge didn't have the capacity that it was rated for... we've seen a few blown ones. The rectifiers are rated for 20A continuous, 170A intermittent. Not likely you're going to blow one of these. Since the rectifiers have a lower dropout voltage than the bridge, we've added a function to the software (in 1.06Q) that ships with this board which allows you to adjust the reported voltage on the Status Page so that it matches your measured battery voltage. It's a global hardware setting... you change it once and never go back in there again.

All the documentation on the Eggtimer Rocketry web site has been changed appropriately.

As ususal, thanks for your continued support!

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

Good to know your taking a proactive approach. If we have the older quantums is there an exchange option? Also is there anything in particular we can do to protect the full wave bridge in the older units?

Cris - is this something we need to be worried about if we are flying an older Quantum?

Cris - is this something we need to be worried about if we are flying an older Quantum?

Probably not. I've just had a few customers (three or four) who have blown out bridges for whatever reason, so I decided to make the power supply more robust (I replaced the bridges under warranty). Unfortunately the current rating on the bridge that I used is as high as you can get for that package, and the higher amperage rectifiers have a lower voltage drop, so I had to make a change in software to allow for that.

All the Quantums that I've flown so far are the older versions and I'm not taking any of them out of service, including the three in my Double Shot. They work just fine, thank you.

Back