Estes Saros Clone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Reaction score
Who here likes the Estes Saros which was available from 1971 - 1974?

Well, I'm one of those who always did and wished Estes would bring it back but alas I can't wait forever so I decided to clone it.

I was looking for someone with an original Saros kit to help out for over a year.

Recently, thanks to Lee Reep for the dimensions, I was able to reproduce the plastic parts in CAD.

Now comes the "I'm an idiot part"... Knowing that the Estes Nomad used the same plastic parts I googled "Estes Nomad". On the first page Google pointed me to a link which pointed to a website that had the rocket listed as a "Items mint" kit.... It was my own website! ��

Well, I was able to compare the CAD dimensions with my original parts.

So, for those who would like to clone the kit I've released the files on Thingiverse.

Please read the instructions carefully if you want the best possible quality prints.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2646835

Here is the completed rocket. I printed the decals with a laser printer and they came out quite well. The black fin and the rivets/plates were brush painted.

Saros_Rocket.jpg

Very cool, thanks! I'll try and print some next week, this might end up being my Scout Group Build.

I had a Saros kit when I was a kid too. Nice rocket. I really like the sharing of files on Thingiverse too. I'm not a 3D printer person so that was new to me. I'd heard of it in Make magazine but that's the first time I've visited.
Thanks!

Leo, that looks great! I definitely remember looking at that in the catalog, and was hoping someday to find one. Now all I need to do is find a printer!

An updated (better) picture of the finished rocket.

It will be flying this coming weekend.

Estes_Saros.jpg

Leo,

Really nice to get a chance to make contact with you again, it's been way too long. Thanks so much for making the parts available on thingiverse. Dan surprised me with a set yesterday. I was so intrigued I actually made a set of wraps for the body tubes and put it together today. I didn't spend too much time sanding. I kind of like the way the minor banding makes it look. I spray painted the nosecone and black fin, then used Testors silver enamel and hand painted the silver parts after masking them with Tamiya Tape. This was a completely unexpected and really fun little project.

Photos below are of my old Saros next to the new one (which I like better). I never fly the old one, too afraid to damage it. But the new one will fly lots.

Hefty thanks to Leo and Dan!!!

IMG_3728.JPG

IMG_3729.JPG

IMG_3730.JPG

IMG_3731.jpg

Looks great Gus.

So, what do you think.... Do the printed parts come very close to the original?

Looks great Gus.

So, what do you think.... Do the printed parts come very close to the original?

Yes, just outstanding! Honestly, Leo, I like the relief on the silver parts better on you reproduction than on my original.

Back