FCC GPS\Radio trackers that fit in a 18-24mm MD Airframe??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew_ASC

UTC SEDS 2017 3rd/ SEDS 2018 1st
Reaction score
Smallest I've tried is a TeleGPS and I want help finding a smaller tracker for 24mm birds and coupler tubes. I've been eyeing the BlackHawk24 and am clueless of how to track it. I prefer the FCC trackers for reliability and precision along with live data recording.

Thanks.

Smallest I've tried is a TeleGPS and I want help finding a smaller tracker for 24mm birds and coupler tubes. I've been eyeing the BlackHawk24 and am clueless of how to track it. I prefer the FCC trackers for reliability and precision along with live data recording.

Thanks.

This one will easily fit in a 24mm coupler, once it's available (mid-December for iphone users, a little while later for Android users)

The Eggfinder Mini will fit into a 18mm body tube, and easily in a 24mm coupler. The hard part is finding a small enough 2S LiPo battery... Hobby King sells one that just fits into an 18mm tube (it's 13mm x 17mm x 30mm).

The Eggfinder Mini will fit into a 18mm body tube, and easily in a 24mm coupler. The hard part is finding a small enough 2S LiPo battery... Hobby King sells one that just fits into an 18mm tube (it's 13mm x 17mm x 30mm).
I'm kind of surprised nobody's made a 3s jelly roll in the a23 formfactor. Seems fairly straightforward, but then what I don't know about batteries does fill many books.

Well I was going to suggest:
the Telemini, theEggfinder Mini, & the (almost here) Featherweight GPS.
Looks like that's been handled.
All excellent choices from great vendors/manufacturers.
Very different from each other, with a lot of factors to consider, but all great quality.

Telemini is by far the smallest/lightest overall package, but is not GPS (RDF telemetry only).
I've used this myself, and had great results.

Eggfinder Mini is an amazing price, but it is a kit that you have to solder together yourself (or get someone else to do it for you).
I've not flown this particular piece, but I've had great experience with other Egg products, and lots of other folks on this forum are very happy users.

Featherweight looks to be simply incredible in terms of functionality, and is a surprisingly good price, but it's not quite available just yet.
I've obviously not flown this particular piece, but I have lots of experience with other Featherweight products (Raven altimeters, AV components, mag switches, etc.) and honestly Featherweight products are second to none. Extremely well thought out, super high quality, and always unique functionality (as well as being super tiny).

Seems like the perfect time to be looking for tiny tracker options.

s6

What radio gear and handheld are you using with the Telemini? I already have a HAM license so that isn't the issue.

Is there any chance the featherweight GPS transceiver will feature a simple wire antenna? I'm okay with a ground station having a rubber ducky but the transceiver may not fit in custom nosecones due to space constraints.

Is there any chance the featherweight GPS transceiver will feature a simple wire antenna? I'm okay with a ground station having a rubber ducky but the transceiver may not fit in custom nosecones due to space constraints.

I'm planning to make that an option. This first production run will all have SMA antennas, but there are some installations where a wire would be preferable. I think i can probably get a Featherweight GPS and Raven in the 38m av-bay, which is 2' long, but only with a wire antenna poking out the bulkhead.

Thanks I appreciate the wire option. It's easier to make a longer hollow nose than it is to redesign a purpose built GPS antenna.

Back