Loc N-Load Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic. Does it still say K-Load on the other side?

Also, how's the stability with the big N's in there?

Fantastic. Does it still say K-Load on the other side?

Also, how's the stability with the big N's in there?

Yes; it says K-Load on the flip side. I put the K markings on the "ugly side"...where all the vinyl seams and overlaps are. The N-Load side is much cleaner!

The K-Load flight was <1 caliber of stability without any nose weight...but with a fairly light motor.

In comparison, the CP shifts forward 2.25" with the swap of the cones and addition of the tailcone. Roughly 16" of the 15360 motor sticks up above the CP, so that certainly helps offset some of the mass on the aft end. We'll have to see....as the flight approaches, I'll load it up and add mass to the nose if necessary. I think it'll be close; a pound or two max. Personal policy is to check the actual CP/CG relationship pre-launch...I don't trust computers to tell me if the proper stability exists. :cool:

Hi Eric,

I'm finally getting around to building my 5.5" Nuke and came back here to review and all the pictures are gone! Yikes. Can you post a pic of your nosecone setup (the brass strips and the kevlar loop connection)? I think I know what to do based on your description, but just want to double check. You only put the brass strips on the nosecone, not the body tube right?

For the vinyl wrap - did you measure exactly the distance around the airframe before wrapping or just leave a little overlap? How crazy was it to wrap the nose-cone? I'm thinking of painting the nose and wrapping the rest.

Does this look like a suitable vinyl to you (see link)?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B017BVXPZM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes; it says K-Load on the flip side. I put the K markings on the "ugly side"...where all the vinyl seams and overlaps are. The N-Load side is much cleaner!

The K-Load flight was <1 caliber of stability without any nose weight...but with a fairly light motor.

In comparison, the CP shifts forward 2.25" with the swap of the cones and addition of the tailcone. Roughly 16" of the 15360 motor sticks up above the CP, so that certainly helps offset some of the mass on the aft end. We'll have to see....as the flight approaches, I'll load it up and add mass to the nose if necessary. I think it'll be close; a pound or two max. Personal policy is to check the actual CP/CG relationship pre-launch...I don't trust computers to tell me if the proper stability exists. :cool:

Eric, that depends on your sim files accuracy. Gigo is true. That said, manually checking is always a good idea.

Hi Eric,

I'm finally getting around to building my 5.5" Nuke and came back here to review and all the pictures are gone! Yikes. Can you post a pic of your nosecone setup (the brass strips and the kevlar loop connection)? I think I know what to do based on your description, but just want to double check. You only put the brass strips on the nosecone, not the body tube right?

For the vinyl wrap - did you measure exactly the distance around the airframe before wrapping or just leave a little overlap? How crazy was it to wrap the nose-cone? I'm thinking of painting the nose and wrapping the rest.

Does this look like a suitable vinyl to you (see link)?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B017BVXPZM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks!
Hi Mark,

Awesome! Yep, when TRF switched over to this new style forum, many of the photos in my previous build threads disappeared. I was fairly peeved for a while...

Here's the link to the entire gallery devoted to the build: https://www.flickr.com/photos/82867124@N06/albums/72157661303141687

Photo of the two holes at the base of the cone for the attachment loop.
20171228_091819 by ECayemberg, on Flickr

Photo of the brass plates epoxied in place.
20171230_115300 by ECayemberg, on Flickr

Correct, I only install the plates on the nosecone. The airframe holes get a few drips of thin CA to harden the paper fibers in the area...this has always been sufficient for me.

Vinyl wrap: I overlapped a 1/4" or so...so for the Loc 5.54" airframe, wrap width was roughly 17.625". Covering the nosecone with vinyl is a pretty terrible idea! Yes I did it; no I wouldn't likely do it again. It takes a plethora of heat, pulling, relief cuts, and burnt fingers :mad: in order to achieve somewhat acceptable results. Painting the cone is the best idea I've heard all day!!!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark,

Awesome! Yep, when TRF switched over to this new style forum, many of the photos in my previous build threads disappeared. I was fairly peeved for a while...

Here's the link to the entire gallery devoted to the build: https://www.flickr.com/photos/82867124@N06/albums/72157661303141687

Photo of the two holes at the base of the cone for the attachment loop.
20171228_091819 by ECayemberg, on Flickr

Photo of the brass plates epoxied in place.
20171230_115300 by ECayemberg, on Flickr

Correct, I only install the plates on the nosecone. The airframe holes get a few drips of thin CA to harden the paper fibers in the area...this has always been sufficient for me.

Vinyl wrap: I overlapped a 1/4" or so...so for the Loc 5.54" airframe, wrap width was roughly 17.625". Covering the nosecone with vinyl is a pretty terrible idea! Yes I did it; no I wouldn't likely do it again. It takes a plethora of heat, pulling, relief cuts, and burnt fingers :mad: in order to achieve somewhat acceptable results. Painting the cone is the best idea I've heard all day!!!:)
Eric: Whilst we're on the disappearing photo topic : do you have similar link to your MonoKote video series?

Latest posts

Back