Got a new soldering station with hot air.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonimus

Reaction score
Picked up a Yihua 8786D on eBay for $40 shipped. It is a neat little unit with a digital readout. Soldering iron came with a .8mm conical tip and goes from 200ºC to 480ºC and goes from room temp to max in 1 min and 24 seconds. The hot air gun works from 100ºC to 480ºC and heats up to max in 16 seconds. The hot air gun doesn't activate until you pick it up, and when you put it back in the holder, the heater shuts off and the fan stays on until it cools back down to 100º and it shuts off.

Came with the station with integrated holder for the hot air gun and a little soldering stand with tiny sponge.

It also uses the Hakko style soldering tips, just like my cheapo iron that I keep in my go kit.

If you simply search for 8786D, you'll find them for $39-$45 or so.

I have one similar to that, you’re going to love it. It makes putting the eggtimer stuff together a lot easier.

Nice find!
I recently received the 852D+ as a B-Day present but have yet to make use of it. Too many other things/projects going on atm...

I picked up one of those "knock-off" 2-in-1 rework stations. There's quite a few 858D or 968D stations available in the $45-$65 range.

And yes I saw my skill increase noticeably with the "Egg" kits.

But now my 2-in-1 rework station is gathering dust. I almost never use it unless I need a LOT of heat. (soldering the Antenna connector to the board for example)

>> NOW - I use the recommended Kester #951 flux pen. just a dot of flux can make a huge difference. And I use the most awesome soldering tool I have ever seen!!!

No Joke - EBAY $5 USB powered Soldering iorn - PERFECT for "Egg" kits. I liked it so much I got a second one for my range box. Portable soldering powered by one of those USB "Power-Bank" things. This thing has the perfect amount of heat and I'm doing the best soldering of my life with it.

https://hackaday.com/2016/04/25/usb-soldering-iron-is-surprisingly-capable/

s-l1600.jpg

Great. Now I'm going to have to order a flux pen and one of those soldering irons... I saw Clive's review/teardown of one and almost bought one then.

I picked up one of those "knock-off" 2-in-1 rework stations. There's quite a few 858D or 968D stations available in the $45-$65 range.

And yes I saw my skill increase noticeably with the "Egg" kits.

But now my 2-in-1 rework station is gathering dust. I almost never use it unless I need a LOT of heat. (soldering the Antenna connector to the board for example)

>> NOW - I use the recommended Kester #951 flux pen. just a dot of flux can make a huge difference. And I use the most awesome soldering tool I have ever seen!!!

No Joke - EBAY $5 USB powered Soldering iorn - PERFECT for "Egg" kits. I liked it so much I got a second one for my range box. Portable soldering powered by one of those USB "Power-Bank" things. This thing has the perfect amount of heat and I'm doing the best soldering of my life with it.

https://hackaday.com/2016/04/25/usb-soldering-iron-is-surprisingly-capable/

Very kool! Thx for the heads up.

I have an Aoyue 888A combination repair station that I got off Amazon earlier this year. Made a big difference in my EggTimer kit assembly, along with a roll of NOS Kester 63/37 0.020" solder. I've experimented with the hot air removing SMD's on some junk boards, but still need a bit more practice on that.

I found that the hot air was extremely useful for heat shrink tubing.

I ordered one of those USB irons described in this thread. I got to thinking of field use. I have a couple of 12V car starting battery packs, that have USB outlets that can source 2A of power, along with a couple of the small pocket size USB power banks. Seemed to be another tool that I just "had to have".

Back