• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Mortar Cases for Hardware & Reload Storage and Transport - US Army G.I.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyD

Reaction score
<UPDATED Quantity and post Content 11/27/2017>

I have ten (10) mortar cases left that I use for rocket motor hardware and reload storage at my home and when I travel to a launch. They are water-tight and super-strong as they were Gov't Issue for 81mm mortar rounds.

All still have the military information on the outside, but some have had that military information and "Explosives" designation painted over by the Army. It comes off pretty easily, however, with a little lacquer thinner. Others have some rust and all have been banged around a bit, but they're 100% functional.

Here are the cases I have available as of 11/28:
Qty Available: 10 81mm Mortar Cases
Dimensions: 22.5"H x 12.5"L x 5.5"W

I use these exact Mortar Cases myself, and all but my AT 54/2560 and CTI 54-6G casings fit in the box, but only barely.

Price is $55 per case and that INCLUDES shipping (shipping is higher than expected) to the lower 48 via FedEx with paper wrap on the boxes. If you wish to have it boxed, add $10.

See photos below, and PM me with any questions. Thank you! S

IMG_8016.jpgIMG_8018.jpgIMG_8020.jpgIMG_8709.jpgIMG_8708.jpgIMG_8707.jpgIMG_8710.jpgIMG_8712.jpg

Last edited:
+1 on these cases. Yes, I keep loads and liners in them.

I think they're one of the best storage systems around. I stored reloads in plastic tool boxes, canvas totes, cardboard boxes, and maybe one or two other things, then I found these. They can be dropped, kicked, get things dropped on them, and they keep everything safe...!

Plus they make great conversation starters when you leave them in the living room after having unloaded from a trip out to the desert. ;)

I actually use one of these for my emergency roadside kit. I keep a 12v impact, road flares, and other crap in it. I put some reflective tape on it in the shape of a triangle to put behind the car when I need it.

Sammy,
In all seriousness, if you are going to ship these "nude", at the very least it would be wise to black out or tape over the writing on them that says such things as "Cartridges for Weapons" and such. You will probably run into some shipping hassles otherwise.

That said, these ARE a great way to store reloads and such....used them myself and they are "just the right thing".

Also super useful for tons of other storage. I work in river raft outfitting, and they have been pretty much standard issue for outfitters for all kinds of things that need to be waterproof and in cases that take a LOT of abuse......great for first aid kits, toolboxes, repair kits, kitchen storage, etc. Also, if you know what a "groover" is, well ammo cans were the original ones back in the day, and were the inspiration of the name "groover" itself (but that's another story).

s6

I did cover the "Cartridges for Weapons" and "Explosive" labels; of course, I also let FedEx look all inside and over them before closing it up for shipment. They were happy... :)

UPDATE: 10 shorter cases left for sale...

<UPDATED Quantity as of 12/01/2017>

I have nine (9) mortar cases left that I use for rocket motor hardware and reload storage at my home and when I travel to a launch. They are water-tight and super-strong as they were Gov't Issue for 81mm mortar rounds.

All still have the military information on the outside, but some have had that military information and "Explosives" designation painted over by the Army. It comes off pretty easily, however, with a little lacquer thinner. Others have some rust and all have been banged around a bit, but they're 100% functional.

Here are the cases I have available as of 11/28:
Qty Available: 10 81mm Mortar Cases
Dimensions: 22.5"H x 12.5"L x 5.5"W

I use these exact Mortar Cases myself, and all but my AT 54/2560 and CTI 54-6G casings fit in the box, but only barely.

Price is $55 per case and that INCLUDES shipping (shipping is higher than expected) to the lower 48 via FedEx with paper wrap on the boxes. If you wish to have it boxed, add $10.

See photos below, and PM me with any questions. Thank you! S

Back