MAC Performance Custom Design & Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Seems to be a common theme recently. I am certainly impressed by the MAC Performance kits I have received and built. This particular build arises after an extended chat over a couple beers at Wildman's dinner table during MWP. Some may remember the sale I had a couple years back, The Great Built Kit Sale, https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?67419-The-Great-Built-Kit-Sale, where I was able to find a lot of appreciative and super rocketeers that were able to add some 50 rockets to their fleets. Saying that, there was always one rocket in that sale that I wished I still had. It was a custom design that I had ruminated on for years and finally finished only a few months before I had my sale. I called it the Flechette (long before being used by a few other rocket companies). In any case, with a random TRF buy and some back of the napkin planning with Mike Crupe at MAC Performance, I can now recreate this beloved rocket in a slight upscale and with far superior materials.

20130619_155700.jpg

So, I'm going to have to STOP! and readjust priorities on the half dozen or so rockets in progress and move this baby up!

200w.gif
As I received it today in the mail... IMG_20171116_132058.jpg was

Last edited:
It seems like every kit Mike builds is custom in some way; I've built a couple customized or custom-designed MAC kits myself. In fact, I have a 4" Bertha kit (sitting in the corner of my living room waiting for this winter) that Mike a definite hand in. That's a very clean looking design you have, I'm sure it'll go together every bit as well as all of Mike's kits. Its tough to tell from the pic, is it 54mm with a 38mm mount? Are you building the new one with the boat tail and the conical cone per your original?

It seems like every kit Mike builds is custom in some way; I've built a couple customized or custom-designed MAC kits myself. In fact, I have a 4" Bertha kit (sitting in the corner of my living room waiting for this winter) that Mike a definite hand in. That's a very clean looking design you have, I'm sure it'll go together every bit as well as all of Mike's kits. Its tough to tell from the pic, is it 54mm with a 38mm mount? Are you building the new one with the boat tail and the conical cone per your original?

The original build was 2.6" dia. with a 38mm MMT utilizing some old Black Brant parts obtained from Red Arrow Hobbies in the 90's. The rebuild will be 3" airframe with a 54mm MMT.

Love the conical nosecone, although I have read articles from people who know this subject matter that indicate it robs some potential performance, I have always liked the simplicity of it. I also like your stretched fins, the rocket has an arrow look or even dart look to it, as in the game of darts. I can't see the nosecone in your package, are you still going with the conical?

Love the conical nosecone, although I have read articles from people who know this subject matter that indicate it robs some potential performance, I have always liked the simplicity of it. I also like your stretched fins, the rocket has an arrow look or even dart look to it, as in the game of darts. I can't see the nosecone in your package, are you still going with the conical?

The nosecone was the TRF sale pickup from a year or so ago so not in the kit (although a little birdie says some MAC conicals might be in the pipeline :)). Yes, staying with conical as it is part of the dart theme. BTW, this is not a performance rocket, strictly sport flying.

Last edited:
OK, I was able to transport the Flechette from MAC Performance up to my apartment today with a few other items for delivery (sales on TRF). Instead of going through "unboxing" posts, I'm going to be much more direct. Here are a few observation of the work from MAC Performance on this custom build:

1. Body tubes--surprise!
    The first obvious change from my first experience with MAC Performance was the extra machining that was put into the body tubes. I had previously pointed out the cloth wrap seam on the body tubes. These are no longer apparent and it is clear Mike at MAC Performance has taken action to make his canvas offering the even better than before--after machining, wow, no fill necessary anymore--perfectly smooth body tubes--YEAH!

IMG_20171119_193229.jpg

2. Custom retainer--finally done right!
    Why has this been so hard!! Mike at MAC now has his own "FastBack" retainers. Very similar to Slimline from Giant Leap, but finally fit the Loki motors--thumbs up to Mike! Adapters for Aerotech/Cesaroni included. When are you going to do 75mm and 98mm?

IMG_20171119_193216.jpg

3. Av-sled, well

[video=youtube;er0jZv_0r-g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er0jZv_0r-g[/video]

Yellow, translucent, and the single 9V fits my typical single and dual alt set ups. More to come.

IMG_20171119_193538.jpg IMG_20171119_193547.jpg

4. Harness--best in the business!

I'm thinking Mike and Teddy are in collusion here, but simple and very effective "pin retainer" harness offered on this kit. I guess I would like a two-point harness, but, I will go ahead and use the "standard" single point harness. Plenty strong and great attachment design.

IMG_20171119_193829.jpg

5. Fins--question mark?

OK, final point, which can be completely expected. The fin set received is warped. Frankly does not bother me as the root on this thing is like 2 feet long. Anyone would be hard-pressed to find any thin plywood, or even G10 that wouldn't have a slight warp. Plan to deal with this during assembly to get take advantage of the true/straight body tube slots to motor mount and likely a tip-to-tip fiberglass afterwards.

IMG_20171119_195331.jpg

Last edited:
Tim,

So glad you like the improvements we've made on our kits over the last year. We've done our best to add value without additional cost. As for the FastBack retainers the 54 has been a huge success. 38mm will be next followed by the 75mm. Looking forward to seeing the finished Flichette and hopefully see it fly at MMWP in May.

Last edited:
Even through the sales, have been making some progress here. Was able to finish the motor mount, with the MAC Performance retainer embedded in the PML tailcone. Typical dowels used for lateral strength and keeping epoxy in place when fin root is placed. Rail button locations, et. al.

Then a some quick mods to the 3D sled for a TeleMega and a Jolly Logic Alt2 along for the ride.

IMG_20171125_102234.jpg

IMG_20171125_171404.jpg

Been busy lately. Was able to get the MMT in the booster. Fins next. More pics to come.

Great thread & site- this got me back into Rockets! So I was drawn to Madcow & Mike was a big help; I will post unboxing new 2.6 carbon DD DX3 with extended 54mm motor mount and questions I have.
Meanwhile I continue to follow & learn. Thanks!

Hard to get this into a picture inside my small corporate apartment; nearly a foot taller than the ceiling in here.

Probably will do all hole drilling now, then circle back to external fillets.

IMG_20180114_094205.jpg

Back