Thoughts on the new madcow nike-apache as first hpr 2 stager?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys for the great idea. I just picked up a 4” Nike Smoke NC. I love the idea of having a modular rocket that can be flown in multiple configurations. I plan on setting up the nose with my eggfinder TRS used to deploy at apogee with motor backup along with using my JLCR.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Thanks guys for the great idea. I just picked up a 4” Nike Smoke NC. I love the idea of having a modular rocket that can be flown in multiple configurations. I plan on setting up the nose with my eggfinder TRS used to deploy at apogee with motor backup along with using my JLCR.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Looks like I will need to mod mine significantly so we don't show up to the same launch with identical rockets!

The crazy part was, the $99 Nike-Apache plus the nose cone and bulk plates was cheaper than the Nike Smoke kit even with the Black Friday discount. Like getting the sustainer and interstage for free - heck even if I never get around to two-staging it - free 29/38mm rocket!

Meh. My thoughts... I bought a Wildman Sandhawk that I can multistage with a scale scratch clone Terrier Booster for less. And it has 38mm MMT. So I don't see all the oooh ahh moment.

Meh. My thoughts... I bought a Wildman Sandhawk that I can multistage with a scale scratch clone Terrier Booster for less. And it has 38mm MMT. So I don't see all the oooh ahh moment.

What's up with the negativity? The Wildman Sandhawk is, we think, a 2.6" rocket with a 38mm mount, for $81. The Madcow Nike booster is 4" and 54mm, and the whole kit was $99. Throw in the nose cone (which was $45 on sale) and a bulkplate and you've got a two stage kit plus the ability to fly one-stage for $150. And you could certainly get a cheaper nose cone if you don't care about scale. So, if you can fab an all-fiberglass Terrier and interstage for <$70, you can build a smaller rocket for cheaper. Cool, will look forward to the build thread.

Definitely. I have personally been through three of them on one rocket.

Geez, what happened? You know you're supposed to put a chute in 'em, right? :wink:

The transition does not look scale like the original.20171125_202318.jpg

The transition does not look scale like the original.View attachment 332902

That can be easily accomplished with a 3D printer. Maybe I’ll add it to my list of improvements once I receive my kit and printer back.

I’m fairly certain I will be converting the sustainer to a Tomahawk or a Sandhawk. I prefer the Sandhawk but the scale will be all wrong and I am fairly certain no such thing existed.

I’m excited at the idea of flying the Nike by itself on 76mm motors and flying the stack on a 76/2500 to 29-6G. I’ll be cutting some parts on my router in the coming week or so, so stay tuned!

That can be easily accomplished with a 3D printer. Maybe I&#8217;ll add it to my list of improvements once I receive my kit and printer back.

I&#8217;m fairly certain I will be converting the sustainer to a Tomahawk or a Sandhawk. I prefer the Sandhawk but the scale will be all wrong and I am fairly certain no such thing existed.

I&#8217;m excited at the idea of flying the Nike by itself on 76mm motors and flying the stack on a 76/2500 to 29-6G. I&#8217;ll be cutting some parts on my router in the coming week or so, so stay tuned!

Whew! I envy the folks with the sites that can accommodate such a project. Me, I'll be happy with something milder and stays under 15k. Kurt

After you attempt it past 15,000ft even on L-1 HPR motors with MD. The envy wears off into exhaustion then relief no matter the outcome. There is something quite remarkable about a test flight on a salt flat like UROC22 with a rocket you've personally designed that no other feeling touches.

Now this has me thinking that I need to pull out my old PML kit. I will have to evaluate how much effort would be involved in modifying that transition for the MC kit...

Cheers,
Michael

Not much If you 3d print one with a coupler insert for top. I'm thinking about that myself, with possible aluminum insert to really slick it up.
All ya need is stubby 3-4in insert either way.

Not much If you 3d print one with a coupler insert for top. I'm thinking about that myself, with possible aluminum insert to really slick it up.
All ya need is stubby 3-4in insert either way.

I am going to have to dig the old kit out of the pile. I can't remember if it was molded urethane transition or the same plastic as the fin cans...with a 38mm coupler going through it. I know for certain that it does not have a 4" coupler on the booster side, so I would have to completely rethink the electronics. It may be easier to redesign from scratch. Alternatively, I am considering seeing if Sandman could hand-turn one out of hardwood. Of course, 3D printing is always an option as well! :wink:

Cheers,
Michael

Adding the protrusion like the picture is simple with a 3D printer. The strength will come from the internal 38mm tube and the provided FWFG cone will just nest onto a tapered printed transition.

I'd draw a picture, but I will hold off for now. I'll post a Fusion360 mock up once I have parts in hand.

Dan, if you do end up 3d printing one, I would love to buy one from you.

Adding the protrusion like the picture is simple with a 3D printer. The strength will come from the internal 38mm tube and the provided FWFG cone will just nest onto a tapered printed transition.

I'd draw a picture, but I will hold off for now. I'll post a Fusion360 mock up once I have parts in hand.

That was what I was thinking. Cosmetic fairing basically.

Dan, if you do end up 3d printing one, I would love to buy one from you.

I appreciate that. I assume that it will be quite some time before I get my printer back. Could be a while after everyone has their Nike Apache's in hand.

I got a notification that mine has shipped, so I suspect those who got in on the first batch should start getting theirs soon and will be able to see how their plans will pan out based on the actual kit.

Tony

I purchased a new printer with a much larger build volume. If there's considerable interest, I can investigate molding a complete transition or offering a 3D printed adapter to match a more "scale-like" appearance.

If someone can measure the length of the transition from this kit or a Double Shot, that would be really helpful!

Last edited:
If someone can measure the length of the transition from this kit or a Double Shot, that would be really helpful!

Here's my Double Shot. Coupler was placed at 1" mark, base of transition is at roughly the 6.25" mark, transition actually starts at 8.5" and ends at 14.5". Of course I don't know how the Nike-Apache actually compares.

PB300001.jpg

I purchased a new printer with a much larger build volume. If there's considerable interest, I can investigate molding a complete transition or offering a 3D printed adapter to match a more "scale-like" appearance.

If someone wants to post up a file, I'll gladly print and test it. My printer will do 16" at 0.1mm resolution. My Nike Apache should be here tomorrow from Madcow, So I'll try and get some measurements in.

Here's my Double Shot. Coupler was placed at 1" mark, base of transition is at roughly the 6.25" mark, transition actually starts at 8.5" and ends at 14.5". Of course I don't know how the Nike-Apache actually compares.

View attachment 333205

Looks longer than the Apache. The design also looks superior as the coupler engages the transition. I don't think that's the way the Apache works.

If someone wants to post up a file, I'll gladly print and test it. My printer will do 16" at 0.1mm resolution. My Nike Apache should be here tomorrow from Madcow, So I'll try and get some measurements in.

Creality CR-10? That's what I have coming to replace my MonoPrice Maker Select 2.

My Monoprice blew the main board such that the bed no longer heated, so they had me ship it in. I had replaced the extruder thermistor and heating core after they failed so they actually denied to fix my printer because i voided the warranty. Just happy it didn't start a fire like it has for others! DO NOT BUY FROM MONOPRICE.

Back