Thoughts on the new madcow nike-apache as first hpr 2 stager?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't type fast enough. Sold out in under 45 sec it would appear...definitely not 100 of those available. Probably saved me from myself.

Congrats to the nimble fingered.

Last edited:
I got one, first one disappeared out of my basket and I kept clicking and got another in the basket and immediately paid.

AAAAGH missed the sale already, had it in my cart and by the time I filled in my credit card info (At 8:04!!!!) it said "no items in your cart" and I couldn't re-add it.

Really frustrated with the Madcow storefront on this one - if I add it in my cart, I should get at least a few minutes to actually complete the purchase.

Gee wiz! Madcow is really knocking it out of the park this year. I'm waiting for a Cowabunga Mammoth for $99. Whattaya think?

Yeah I had one in an order, then it disappeared after I paid. I went back and made a new order though and was able to get it. Woot!

I think the build will be challenging in a fun way, looking forward to it! And crazy jim's retention method is pure genius! (wrapping masking tape around the motor case and inserting it from above, then inserting the load in from the bottom).

Thanks all, and congrats to the few others who grabbed one!

same here. I had it in cart at 10.01,,by time paypal checked out at 10.02.....they were gone . 50 kits were on hand.

I got one, but the page had frozen and I had to close and re-open the page to get it. Fortunately I had already logged in and added the requisite accessories, so all I had to do was click Add to Cart.

I wonder how much this thread increased the demand. Were most of the folks on this thread going to buy one even before I posted about it?

What was especially bad was that it rejected me on PayPal, so I tried to add and buy from the regular cart, but when it did that the kit from the rejected PayPal buy magically reappeared in my cart. The extra time to delete the kit I didn't want may have hosed me.

Dear Madcow - cool kits, but PLEASE figure out how to do that Ticketmaster thing where you have X time to complete a purchase before your stuff goes back in the bin. Wouldn't have been so frustrated if I had just been told "sold out" when I first tried to add!

Worst part is you know most of these are going to languish in build piles for a couple years at least. Oh well.

Email marketing. The 38mm deal took 7min to sell 100. Some people took that as a need to train harder.

Yup I got one (see post above). It got dropped from my initial order when I paid, but I was able to make a second order and get one. Seems like I was one of the lucky few.

I just ordered a bunch of quantum's from you, so I was going to be bummed if I didn't get this kit! :)

Says sold out in 4 minutes. I received an out of stock error when I attempted to place order before 7:01:00. Seems like some who attempted after me had success. That is a little frustrating. Every game has its rules!

Cheers,
Michael

Says sold out in 4 minutes. I received an out of stock error when I attempted to place order before 7:01:00. Seems like some who attempted after me had success. That is a little frustrating. Every game has its rules!

Cheers,
Michael

Ah, probably what got me. After it didn't work the first time, I didn't try again because I assumed it was just out. Four minutes is still pretty fast...oh well, more budget left for later sales.

I wonder how much this thread increased the demand. Were most of the folks on this thread going to buy one even before I posted about it?

It probably did create some awareness, but in my case Madcow direct email marketing is what caught my eye.

I also had an issue where I was completing the order and it said nothing in your cart, so I had to start again and this time I almost purchased two. I had to stop and delete one but I guess I was lucky enough to get it done and got one.

I did do a bit of prep work before the sale began, I logged into Madcow's site and confirmed my profile was complete and I copied my credit card info to my clipboard. I don't bother with PayPal anymore after they cut me off so I didn't even try to use that distrustful service.

Worst part is you know most of these are going to languish in build piles for a couple years at least. Oh well.

That's all of these sales. It's a saturated market so the prices are getting hyper aggressive to shift stock to customers that are already over capacity.

Consider this: Retail for a 30" piece of 4" FWFG, unslotted, is $71. This kit included a 31" long piece for the booster, slotted, plus a 54mm motor mount assembly, 4 Nike fins, an interstage coupler, and a complete 38mm Apache sustainer for an additional $18. For $18 you get a bunch of labor and a bunch more components beyond the length of raw tube. For $18 less than this kit you get a tube in a box.

I really don't love where this has gone. Buying at regular price just feels like robbery at this point.

I also had an issue where I was completing the order and it said nothing in your cart, so I had to start again and this time I almost purchased two. I had to stop and delete one but I guess I was lucky enough to get it done and got one.

Same thing happened here. However, not so lucky.

I'm getting back into the hobby (had a bad time of it for a while, but I'm better) and I was lucky enough to get one of these to add to the build pile...

Watch for a report later in 2018....

Gregg

Back