Thoughts on the new madcow nike-apache as first hpr 2 stager?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how much this thread increased the demand. Were most of the folks on this thread going to buy one even before I posted about it?

Yes I was. I also had issues with it dropping out of my cart an ultimately I was unable to get one. I knew this would be massively popular, but, damn that went quick.

They're taking pre-orders at the $99 price, for shipment sometime in December. That's a great customer service move... it doesn't do them any good to tick people off because they couldn't get to the web site in the four minutes before they sold out.

Well I got mine!
Hope rest of you disappointed guys get yours, they have extended taking orders for more of these!
Super build coming when I get mine! We can build 'em all together.:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Thanks Mikey for heads up!

Can you give us a heads up on what extra’s might be needed?

Well I got mine!
Hope rest of you disappointed guys get yours, they have extended taking orders for more of these!
Super build coming when I get mine! We can build 'em all together.:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Thanks Mikey for heads up!

So my question from awhile back got caught up in the excitement - is this one a candidate for the sep / ignition method dixon described for his build? Ignite from the interstage and use the ignition pressure to pop a couple shear pins?

You’d lose some flexibility and maybe altitude, but seems like the simplest solution to the the space challenges of ignition routing and cramming multiple electronics into the sustainer coupler.

They're taking pre-orders at the $99 price, for shipment sometime in December. That's a great customer service move... it doesn't do them any good to tick people off because they couldn't get to the web site in the four minutes before they sold out.

Subtle dig rejected...

My first attempt to place order was complete PRIOR to 7:01:00 PST. I love Madcow and have dozens of their rockets. This is great customer service, but I was not ticked off because I couldn’t get to the website in the 4 minutes before they sold out. I was disappointed because I could not place an order 30 seconds after the link was active and some of you after me were successful.

Great for Madcow to go beyond and make sure their customers are always satisfied!

Cheers,
Michael

Check your email folks. I was sent a mail that the order was incomplete and I was allowed to complete it. There also was a post that they are going to make up some more kits.
So, I got mine on tap. Doesn't matter to me when they ship as long as it gets here even after the new year. Kurt

Can you give us a heads up on what extra’s might be needed?

Well hard to tell till I get in hand, but for starters:

I need a 6in coupler for my electronics. one supplied is 5in. long enough for many, just not me.
Threaded rod, nuts, washers, for both I/S coupler & sustainer av-bay. #8 threaded rod & #6 booster/sustainer.
BP's for I/S showing just a Cr....this will require the thinking hat.... on how to stuff it a small altimeter for apogee deploy & Pet2 timer for separation charge. [Make I/S an av-bay]
Locate 1/8th in. conduit for those going that route for sustainer ignition wire. I'll go head end & may offer that module to those interested.

Add lead powder/weight to NC along with kevlar recovery loop in tip of NC. Gain space & coast weight. I always get higher altitudes with this trick.
May use NC for GPS/tracking if enough room...must wait & see which route I take.

May need to use longer 4in coupler on I/S....parts blow up is too vague to tell how it goes together.
Of course some rail buttons....shock cord 1/8 in kevlar from Teddy [sustainer] 1/4 kevlar for Booster
Guessing a 36-48 chute for booster depending on how big motor/final weight.
Tiny 8in X chute [Topflight] for sustainer drogue, & 15-18-24 main. must weigh and see what fits.
Nomex for all above.

No motor retainers, will go with method shown [link] post #29.
I will measure and may chop & drop to more scale like if need be.
My other one goes 17-18,000 on a 4 grain 54mm and 6 grain 29mm.
This could easily go mid 20,000's with 6xl....
Heck ya could go 75 motor mount on booster, THAT would be real interesting.
All this stuff not hard to do at all, just wait to see what I have to work with.

I definitely want the I/S to fit dead nutz perfect and will mod to do so if need be. I want separation like boosted dart & no need for separation charge. even if I need to replace 38 section of I/S with aluminum. Once again that's easy. I may even make/sell any modified parts cheap, to those interested in having superior performance.

We'll see!:dark::dark::dark:

Last edited:
Despite my beef, I bought this as a collection of parts. Need the nosecone for a 38mm MD, need the booster tube for a 98mm MMT, and may repurpose the interstage cone for a 3.72 to 54mm two stager.

How about wireless with a Marsa 54 or would that be not so workable? Use it for a separation charge? I'd just like to do a run of the mill two stage flight without busting a Midwest waiver. Kurt

Well hard to tell till I get in hand, but for starters:

I need a 6in coupler for my electronics. one supplied is 5in. long enough for many, just not me.
Threaded rod, nuts, washers, for both I/S coupler & sustainer av-bay. #8 threaded rod & #6 booster/sustainer.
BP's for I/S showing just a Cr....this will require the thinking hat.... on how to stuff it a small altimeter for apogee deploy & Pet2 timer for separation charge. [Make I/S an av-bay]
Locate 1/8th in. conduit for those going that route for sustainer ignition wire. I'll go head end & may offer that module to those interested.

Add lead powder/weight to NC along with kevlar recovery loop in tip of NC. Gain space & coast weight. I always get higher altitudes with this trick.
May use NC for GPS/tracking if enough room...must wait & see which route I take.

May need to use longer 4in coupler on I/S....parts blow up is too vague to tell how it goes together.
Of course some rail buttons....shock cord 1/8 in kevlar from Teddy [sustainer] 1/4 kevlar for Booster
Guessing a 36-48 chute for booster depending on how big motor/final weight.
Tiny 8in X chute [Topflight] for sustainer drogue, & 15-18-24 main. must weigh and see what fits.
Nomex for all above.

No motor retainers, will go with method shown [link] post #29.
I will measure and may chop & drop to more scale like if need be.
My other one goes 17-18,000 on a 4 grain 54mm and 6 grain 29mm.
This could easily go mid 20,000's with 6xl....
Heck ya could go 75 motor mount on booster, THAT would be real interesting.
All this stuff not hard to do at all, just wait to see what I have to work with.

I definitely want the I/S to fit dead nutz perfect and will mod to do so if need be. I want separation like boosted dart & no need for separation charge. even if I need to replace 38 section of I/S with aluminum. Once again that's easy. I may even make/sell any modified parts cheap, to those interested in having superior performance.

We'll see!:dark::dark::dark:

Thanks, getting the interstage right is what I am interested in along with all the electronics. I will be following what you do closely. I need to keep it below 17k ft.

Subtle dig rejected...

My first attempt to place order was complete PRIOR to 7:01:00 PST. I love Madcow and have dozens of their rockets. This is great customer service, but I was not ticked off because I couldn’t get to the website in the 4 minutes before they sold out. I was disappointed because I could not place an order 30 seconds after the link was active and some of you after me were successful.

Great for Madcow to go beyond and make sure their customers are always satisfied!

Cheers,
Michael

No dig here, I was just commenting on how well Madcow handled what could have been a very bad situation for them.

Guess I ought to pay attention to AM versus PM on the sale time, eh?

:facepalm:

I mean that thing went super fast. I tried to get through on a work networked computer and I should'a played hooky and did it at home. Had an atomic clock synchronize my watch and got in right away. Had one computer fart after another and
got the CC number in and I didn't get a reply initially. I got an email from Madcow that allowed me to finish the order after time was up and there was another email in there that they were making more kits for the same price....... Alas, they may be gone now.
Kurt

Can't wait to build this one. I had the CC# in the copy/paste buffer and fast fingers.

I mean that thing went super fast. I tried to get through on a work networked computer and I should'a played hooky and did it at home. Had an atomic clock synchronize my watch and got in right away. Had one computer fart after another and
got the CC number in and I didn't get a reply initially. I got an email from Madcow that allowed me to finish the order after time was up and there was another email in there that they were making more kits for the same price....... Alas, they may be gone now.
Kurt

I don’t know why they would be gone. They don’t yet exist; they’re preorders and their email said they would take orders through the end of the sale. It does look like their order system has a hiccup that reports out of stock then reloads so it can be added.

I don’t know why they would be gone. They don’t yet exist; they’re preorders and their email said they would take orders through the end of the sale. It does look like their order system has a hiccup that reports out of stock then reloads so it can be added.

The original deal was first-come first-served, they brought it back as a pre-order. The 50 that they had went in 4 minutes... that's gotta be a new record. I thought the Mongoose 38's went fast at 10 minutes...

I was REALLY tempted by this offer, but I decided to stick to my guns and see what comes out on BF. I don't NEED any kits at the moment. I have one project I'm planning for next year and it won't be a kit. :wink:

I've been pretty impressed by the MC kits I've seen so I'm sure that one will follow me home sooner or later.

Keep on the lookout for the return of the Easy Research Rocketry 29mm EX motors for the sustainer of this kit. New house is moved into, new lathe acquired, material purchased!

Keep on the lookout for the return of the Easy Research Rocketry 29mm EX motors for the sustainer of this kit. New house is moved into, new lathe acquired, material purchased!

:jaw::surprised::clap:

Well since Crazy Jim bought one, and is going to do a build thread, I just had to buy one too! It’s definitely going to be a challenging build since the sustainer is so darn small. MadCow deserves a tip of the hat �� for taking more orders. That kind of customer support goes a long way.

Sincerely,
Bob

To expand on what 'cerving' said, the initial orders were kits and supplies on hand. After they sold out so quickly they added a second batch as a pre-order. When I bought my 38mm Mongoose on November 3rd I got a shipping confirmation on the same day so it was clearly already on hand.

Tony

Back