For Star Wars & WWII buffs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Spied this in the windows display of the local Hobby shop..

(The owner (the owner's dad, if I recall) is an avid modeler, mainly planes. the store front display has about 30 or so model planes hanging in it. And I remember being amazed at the models when I was about 5 or 6!!)

Enjoy!

IMAG0711.jpg

Neat. I heard somewhere years ago that Lucas showed Spielberg an early rough cut of the original Episode IV using WWII dogfight footage as filler before the X Wing / TIE fighter sequences had been finished, so this looks appropriate enough... although the Spitfire was the real the X Wing of 1940, more than the Bf109, so I think he should have done the X Wing in RAF roundels ; )

Neat. I heard somewhere years ago that Lucas showed Spielberg an early rough cut of the original Episode IV using WWII dogfight footage as filler before the X Wing / TIE fighter sequences had been finished, so this looks appropriate enough... although the Spitfire was the real the X Wing of 1940, more than the Bf109, so I think he should have done the X Wing in RAF roundels ; )

Well the Luftwaffe DID put captured B-17's and P-51's up in the air, so this does work in my mind. If I were to do an X-Wing though, I would do it in full P-51 style, complete with invasion stripes.

What would fit the B-17? Y-Wings seem more like the P-40 in my head. My Grandpa had brothers who were on B-17 crews, so I would want to do one of theirs or one that trained at Scottsbluff AAF (which is now my hometown airport). And given my other interests, maybe Spirit of the Union Pacific....

It's a little known fact that the Allies only used a simple red stripe (no other national or Allied markings) on the X-wings during the war as a way to confuse the Axis forces that they encountered, as can be seen in this archive photo of an X-wing on the USS Long Island after a landing accident in 1942.

X-wing_Carrier_1942.jpg

That said, when modeling your own version of these historic flying machines you may use any color scheme with markings of your choice.

-brant

Lore has it that the scenes of trying to destroy the Deathstar came from the experiences of the Lancaster and Mosquito crews when bombing German dams.

It's a little known fact that the Allies only used a simple red stripe (no other national or Allied markings) on the X-wings during the war as a way to confuse the Axis forces that they encountered, as can be seen in this archive photo of an X-wing on the USS Long Island after a landing accident in 1942.

View attachment 332137

That said, when modeling your own version of these historic flying machines you may use any color scheme with markings of your choice.

-brant

Ha ha - brilliant! The picture that launched a thousand conspiracy theories!

Lore has it that the scenes of trying to destroy the Deathstar came from the experiences of the Lancaster and Mosquito crews when bombing German dams.

Oh yes definitely - when Star Wars was released in Britain back in '77 that whole sequence was widely understood / acknowledged as a cinematic homage to Michael Anderson's The Dambusters (1955) which was something of a cultural landmark ('Use the Force Luke, ...or, alternatively, use converging spotlights located at each end of the fusellage..') It was a big cultural thing back then, still being in living memory. I remember as a child visiting the reservoirs up in the Derbyshire hills where the crews had practiced. IIRC they didn't use Mosquitoes on the dam raids - just stripped down Lancs (Revell used to make a very nice 1:72 kit), although Guy Gibson VC was later killed piloting a Mosquito over the Low Countries.

Star Wars -> The Dambusters:
[video=youtube;-q47GIgmQWo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q47GIgmQWo[/video]

The Dambusters -> Star Wars:
[video=youtube;_NMfBKrdErY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NMfBKrdErY[/video]

Back