Additive Aerospace - Fly Away Rail Guides

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landru

Additive Aerospace
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I've had a bunch of requests for these over the past few years, so I'm proud to finally present the Additive Aerospace Fly Away Rail Guides!

The design blends printed components, anodized aluminum struts, plated steel springs, and a high friction cork spacer to provide cutting edge performance.

It is available in 38, 54, 76, and 98mm sizes, and can be purchased from www.additiveaerospace.com or from Wildman Rocketry.

Each size can accommodate nearly every material of tubing simply by adjusting the cork spacer material.

Also, I'm offering a $25 Additive Aerospace gift card to the first 4 people who send me on board video of the guides in action. PM me a link to your video and I'll send the gift card your way.

98_on_AAD_grande.jpg
38_farg_grande.jpg
closeup_grande.jpg

IMG_6113_grande.jpg
IMG_6087_grande.jpg

Sample of the material toughness:
[video=youtube;nuya5EDuQ7w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuya5EDuQ7w[/video]

I've seen these in action. The springed hinge really helps them "fly away" reducing the chance of interference with the rocket.

From the Ether...

Awesome product. I️ had the pleasure of Beta testing the 54mm versions and they are a most superior offering!

Keep innovating, Andrew!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Just picked up one of the 54mm guides at ROCStock, can't wait to fly it. The "other" one that I had lasted one flight... the Additive Aerospace one looks a whole lot more durable.

Just picked up one of the 54mm guides at ROCStock, can't wait to fly it. The "other" one that I had lasted one flight... the Additive Aerospace one looks a whole lot more durable.

Thank you, longevity is one of my main goals for these.

I'll also be honoring a pretty generous warranty over the next year, and will be selling replacement parts into the foreseeable future.

~Andrew

Why do you emphasize the flexible plastic in the video? For durability? For ease of adjustment to any diameter?

Why do you emphasize the flexible plastic in the video? For durability? For ease of adjustment to any diameter?

General durability of the plastic and the joints, especially that it prefers to bend vs snap. They aren't impossible to break, but between the tool paths I use and the PET material, they are a lot tougher than some of my other products.

Adjusting to different diameters is accomplished through adding different amounts of cork tape.

Are the rail buttons included. If so, what size comes with the 98mm version?

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Are the rail buttons included. If so, what size comes with the 98mm version?

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Single piece delrin 1010 rail buttons are included, but they fit in both 1010 and 1515 rails.

Well my original 54 flyaways shattered on 2nd flight and Chris Short showed me this new design last weekend. Definitely more stout & no more fooling around with rubber bands!

How sensitive are the plastic parts to heat? For us desert rats, we have to careful with plastics left out in our 115 degree summer days.

How sensitive are the plastic parts to heat? For us desert rats, we have to careful with plastics left out in our 115 degree summer days.

I've not seen any problems to date with PET in sunny cars. Definitely a more heat tolerant material than PLA. If you do, I'll replace or refund.

~Andrew

Been quietly shipping these all winter and I'm starting to get some good photos coming in!

This series was submitted by John Jamieson from the CRASH launch is Colorado!

Collage fly away 38.jpg

~Andrew

For anyone who islooking to purchase additional lengths of the cork tape used as a spacer, I've now added it to the Additive Aerospace Store.

6ft roll cork tape spacer.jpg

Cork Spacer Tape

Thank you, longevity is one of my main goals for these.

I'll also be honoring a pretty generous warranty over the next year, and will be selling replacement parts into the foreseeable future.

~Andrew

I had one of the 54mm guides break on me over the weekend... but it was on a GLR Firestorm with a K2050ST. Wildman West, whom I had purchased it from, generously replaced it (nice to have vendors at the launches!). I think it probably hit a fin at about Mach point-seven... I'll try it with a K185 at LDRS, it will probably fare much better.

Was the guide mounted against the fins or up a bit? Other than the damaged guide, did you see any sign of impact on your fin or paint on the guide?

Sorry you had the guide break, just making sure I learn as much from every failure as possible.

~Andrew

Was the guide mounted against the fins or up a bit? Other than the damaged guide, did you see any sign of impact on your fin or paint on the guide?

Sorry you had the guide break, just making sure I learn as much from every failure as possible.

~Andrew

That's good since you have learned quite a bit from other designs out there.
Standing on the shoulders of giants I once heard.

That's good since you have learned quite a bit from other designs out there.
Standing on the shoulders of giants I once heard.

Certainly! It took a long time to decide there was enough room for improvement over the other design.

I'm still making little changes as more guides get flown, and expect to for quite some time.

I'm still looking for onboard video of an Additive Aerospace guide in action. There is a $25 off coupon code for the first person to send good footage!

~Andrew

I think both designs function as advertised, a fly away rail guide. Both are differently designed. I own both. Its the materiel used to make them that sets them apart.

I had one of the 54mm guides break on me over the weekend... but it was on a GLR Firestorm with a K2050ST. Wildman West, whom I had purchased it from, generously replaced it (nice to have vendors at the launches!). I think it probably hit a fin at about Mach point-seven... I'll try it with a K185 at LDRS, it will probably fare much better.

An update, the Additive Aerospace flyaway guide worked just fine with the K185 at LDRS. I think that validates my earlier suspicion that it got whacked by a fin while separating.

Here is my Wildman Blackhawk 38 with fly aways in action. I'll never use buttons again

Attachments

• flyaway1.png
    flyaway1.png
    163 KB · Views: 198
  • flyaway2.png
    flyaway2.png
    130.6 KB · Views: 216
  • flyaway3.png
    flyaway3.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 194
Back