I'm getting tons of spam from Palau

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
The spam had been pretty sparse until about a week ago and then it started pouring in. Almost all of it has a .pw email extension; .pw is Palau. I know email addresses and extensions can be spoofed, but if so why Palau? I'm guessing that most of these are legitimate illegitimate emails.

Palau is a pretty random place from which to receive spam.

IIRC, the island of Palau is/was part of the US Trust Territory in the Pacific...had family in Guam so this is familiar turf to me. The Marianas Islands, doncha know.

I'm guessing the server security there is less than optimal and so has been compromised for purposes of spamming.

So that has nothing to do with forum spam, right? I get the twitches when I hear "spam"

Can you black list that mail extension so they don't come through to your email.

So that has nothing to do with forum spam, right? I get the twitches when I hear "spam"

Can you black list that mail extension so they don't come through to your email.

Sorry to give you twitches. Yes, it is just personal email. I can't block them as they are coming from many different emails, but the vast majority lately have a .pw email extension. Many of them state that I have a photo upload failures or photo file corrupted. Maybe they picked up on the photobucket issue and hope to get someone who isn't paying attention.

Good luck on black listing as many of them as you can.

According to information on the Norton/Symantec site, the problem with Palau spam dates back to 2014.

Consider yourself lucky that it's taken that long for the spammers to find you.

Back