From Gloss white to ....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It seems I've always painted my rockets and kits gloss white when it called for it and painted accent colors over it. I'm considering using something like satin or semi gloss on future projects. When painting something like the SV wouldn't a semi gloss give it a more scaled looked. What's the difference between a semi gloss and satin finish? Is one easier to paint than the other??

Also do they make a bright white, like a florescent white??

I always use Rusto 2x semi-gloss white on scale projects and like it a lot.

In terms of gloss, semi-gloss is glossier than satin. I've used satin too, and it's fine, but I prefer gloss colors on non-scale stuff. I do find with Rusto that the satin is easier to apply than gloss in general (less chance of runs, orange peel, "cottage cheese", etc.)

I always use Rusto 2x semi-gloss white on scale projects and like it a lot.

In terms of gloss, semi-gloss is glossier than satin. I've used satin too, and it's fine, but I prefer gloss colors on non-scale stuff. I do find with Rusto that the satin is easier to apply than gloss in general (less chance of runs, orange peel, "cottage cheese", etc.)

Thanks Mike - I think I will try some semi gloss on my next project. Change things up a bit. Then use gloss for the accent colors. That might give it a enough contrast to make it interesting.

For scale, satin is a better choice (sometimes flat). For everything else I use semi-gloss or gloss.

I usually use satin on my scale projects . I find it gives the model more of a luster vs. the sheen of a gloss paint.
I do like the contrast between gloss and flat for non scale models. For example a gloss white body tube and flat black fins.

Back