Estes Ventris on an F15-6 Black powder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For perspective, Estes doesn't recommend the F15, and you know they would love to sell you those motors. I saw a reference elsewhere that an E15 sims to 250 ft at 30 ft/sec off the rod. I wouldn't try it.

4 second delay under no wind conditions or no go.

I've seen a video somewhere of a Ventris on a D12-3 that happened to work once ot twice...

Forgot to mention, I've personally seen a Ventris on an F15-4 in no wind. It arced over and was a nail-biter recovery but it worked.

Last edited:
@Cabernut, probably my videos. Done it on D12-3 a bunch of times now. F15-4s are a lot of fun.

[video=youtube;YNpg_hQlH8Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNpg_hQlH8Y[/video]

Never launched mine on BP, but it eats Aerotech F39-6 motors for lunch:point:

I've not done the F15, but I have done the F12 reload, which has a similar thrust curve with an adapter off a 6 foot rod. It's smoky and slow, but it does go. Would recommend no wind and long rod/rail.

Estes did not recommend it simply because the F15 motor did not exist when the kit was created and the instructions were written and printed.

The F15-4 is fine with ZERO wind and a 6 foot long 1/4" diameter steel launch rod. Or use a rail.

For perspective, Estes doesn't recommend the F15, and you know they would love to sell you those motors. I saw a reference elsewhere that an E15 sims to 250 ft at 30 ft/sec off the rod. I wouldn't try it.

Estes did not recommend it simply because the F15 motor did not exist when the kit was created and the instructions were written and printed.
Interesting. That all happened while I was in Rocketry exile, somehow I assumed it was all introduced together. Thank you for the correction.
The F15-4 is fine with ZERO wind and a 6 foot long 1/4" diameter steel launch rod. Or use a rail.
Still seems dicey.

Better make sure it's built very light to get passable flights on the BP 29s.

Though I shouldn't even weigh in here since mine weighs ~21oz with some 'aftermarket' construction.

Just put the G40 and your chute release in it Bill :wink:

Are you even trying? G118........annnnnnnd its gone! Half mile, M.7, some dual event required, tracker recommended lol

Better make sure it's built very light to get passable flights on the BP 29s.

Though I shouldn't even weigh in here since mine weighs ~21oz with some 'aftermarket' construction.

Are you even trying? G118........annnnnnnd its gone! Half mile, M.7, some dual event required, tracker recommended lol

It was a conservative option to the BP F - He watched my scratch build fly away last launch- he is leery :facepalm:

Thanks EVERYBODY for all the GREAT input! It's VERY MUCH appreciated!! Andy, my Leviathon flew really good on the F44-4W at the Buc Blast as windy as it was, so I think that's what I think I will use for my Venturis maiden!
I figure the Venturis is about 2oz lighter than the Leviathon, with a Good bit less girth, so it should go a bit higher, but not outrageous! Anyone who reads this, please feel free to offer up your opinions on my choice of motor for this rocket!

For my Ventris, I like the G74 (a baby G) and the CTI F59. I personally wouldn't trust mine to an F15, although I have flown several rockets on F15s where the sims say are a bit slow off the rod. YMMV.

The E30-4 is great for a lower 450' -ish flight.

The Aerotech Economax...
A G74W-6 will get you twice the altitude as an F44 for only $1.50 more per flight.

If you have a 24/40 case, then the F39-6T is an excellent Pro Series II motor IMO.

+1 Also need a 24/29mm adapter. The Estes version is cheap and works great.
I made one from a few scrap CRs and some scrap BT50. It is open at the front end so I can put long motors in it- probably not going to, but you never know. The other advantage is you can have a built in thrust ring- I doubled up 5055 cardstock centering rings.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I made one from a few scrap CRs and some scrap BT50. It is open at the front end so I can put long motors in it- probably not going to, but you never know. The other advantage is you can have a built in thrust ring- I doubled up 5055 cardstock centering rings.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I have always built my own but, now that I know Estes has one, I want it too.

Aerotech includes a 24-29 mm adapter in all their Economax/Econojet 29 mm motors. Cut both ends off of the plastic case. The inside diameter is about 24.5 mm in my experience.

You can 3D print them. With PLA+ or PETG, I've had no issues on 16+ launches. They don't even get soft.

Back