New paint, 42 years later!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Reaction score
029.jpgMy 42 year old Century Centurion, with fresh paint! Its far from perfect, but im super happy with how it turned out! I did it up to "sorta" look like the one in the 1972 catalog.....I contacted Mark with Stickershock to see about getting the "Centurion decals made, to finish it off! I just cant believe I was 17 years old when I built this, and it still flies just fine! GOD! How fast time goes by!

That looks great! It's cool that you still have it. I love the Centurion. I built a 3" upscale a few years ago.

Attachments

• P1050934.JPG
    P1050934.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 21
  • P1100098.JPG
    P1100098.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 36
Wow, that looks fantastic!
My Centurion ended up in a tree after a flight on a C 6-5 on the way too small field I used to fly on in the early 80's
My only remaining Centuri rockets from then are a delapatated Vector V and a Moonraker. I really wish I still had some of the others from my original Centuri fleet.

Nice work. It's cool resurrecting old models from our youth. I've got a couple that I'll do some day..

Very nice!

I finished up a Semroc clone of the Centurion this summer and she flew great! The only problem was that the nose cone whacked a rock when it landed and there's a weird-shaped dent in it, but other than that mine has been a perfect flier.

Glad to see I am not the only one who resurrects rockets from my younger days. I never throw them away, just keep them until inspiration comes and and I restore them. I have a few from 45 years ago.

IMG_2017.jpg

Just completed a “tribute” to my first rocket over 40 years ago. Unfortunately I mounted the fins in the wrong direction back then. I got it right this time around!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

LMAO - When I saw the title of this thread , the first thing and person that popped into my mind was my buddy Bill-
and he didn't disappoint :cool: Nice job man.

Really wish I hadn't ditched all my old models when I left home. I least I have the fond memories and am now getting to relive some of them as a BAR.

Great to see the old ones fly! My motto is nothing is a show-er or retired unless it's unsafe to fly. A few months ago I flew my old Alpha that I built in 84 when I was 7 and it was my very first rocket. It's still as I built it then, the only thing that has been done is replace the dry rotted shock cord and a new chute. I like to keep the original patina and battle wounds for character.

Cool to see old ones. I wish I had any of my original rockets. I built about everything in the Estes catalog between 62 - 67 and some custom ones.
Mike

Back