Unable to open OpenRocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbuckner50

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I am trying to get into model rocketry and in order to do so I need to have access to the OpenRocket software. I've downloaded the latest version of Java and then went to the OpenRocket website and pressed download v15.03, the current version of the software, but every time I try to do so I get this message:

"OpenRocket encountered an uncaught exception. This typically signifies a bug in the software. RuntimeException: Error starting OpenRocket. Please take a moment to report this bug to the developers. This can be done automatically if you have an Internet connection."

I've tried reporting the bug however every time I do that it says the bug report failed to send, and I have tried doing this on my internet connection.

If anyone knows a possible solution, I really am not sure who else I can contact. I tried calling Java and they were unable to help, and there is no one to contact by email for OpenRocket.

some one from the Open Rocket team will see this and respond. but until then...did you download and save Open rocket(and then try to run the program), or are you trying to DL and run the file all in one go?
Rex

Does it complete the download or does the error come when you try to start openRocket?

What OS do you have on your computer?

Save the file to where? Once it is downloaded it is automatically saved to my downloads folder on my computer.

It completes the download, error comes up when trying to start OpenRocket. I am using windows 10 64-bit.

So you have a "OpenRocket-15.03.jar" file in the downloads folder, and you double clicking on the file to start it? If so you may have to "open with" the java.exe interpreter installed on your machine.

Hello everyone,

So I am trying to get into model rocketry and in order to do so I need to have access to the OpenRocket software. I've downloaded the latest version of Java and then went to the OpenRocket website and pressed download v15.03, the current version of the software, but every time I try to do so I get this message:

"OpenRocket encountered an uncaught exception. This typically signifies a bug in the software. RuntimeException: Error starting OpenRocket. Please take a moment to report this bug to the developers. This can be done automatically if you have an Internet connection."

I've tried reporting the bug however every time I do that it says the bug report failed to send, and I have tried doing this on my internet connection.

If anyone knows a possible solution, I really am not sure who else I can contact. I tried calling Java and they were unable to help, and there is no one to contact by email for OpenRocket.

Most likely your copy of OpenRocket is damaged or corrupt. >> Try downloading a fresh copy of OpenRocket.

Are you sure you didn't download ClosedRocket by mistake?

*retreating back to the mechanical parts of the forum where I belong*

Last edited:
I am having the same issue. I am running on an iMac.
My Mac Mini ran the version I had on it with no problems.
I downloaded the Java JDK version that I was prompted. When I try to run OR, the opening splash screen shows but then I get the same error mentioned above.

If you're using a Mac, this sounds like a gatekeeper on MacOS that prevents apps from unsigned developers from running, a common thing for open source apps. You have to manually disable the gatekeeper.

Go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General. Select "Allow apps downloaded from: Anywhere"

YwBwL1fm.png

If you do not see "Anywhere" as an option:

Z1K7JsRm.png

Open a Terminal shell and type: sudo spctl --master-disable and press Enter, then type your password and press Enter again. Go back to System Preferences and you should see Anywhere as an option now.

​

If you mean downloading again from the website, I've tried doing that many times now.

Then update your Java or something. One guy on SEDS team at UTC had issues and then when he updated Java magically the damn thing worked on his end.

Yes, I know how to run downloaded apps on a Mac. I’m getting the same error as the OP. Splash screen for OR shows up then the error. I just downloaded the recommended java version.

Even I am unable to open Openrocket 15.03.jar . Attached exception error

Attachments

• openrocket exception error.txt
    26.6 KB · Views: 56
Back