URRG Black Friday Launch November 24, 25 th Launch. Potter NY 18 K

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys

One request... can we please make it a Saturday/Sunday launch next year? Friday is a normal work day for us Canuckistanians, and 4+ hour drive there, 4+ hour back for just one launch day makes it tough - especially if that one day is scrubbed due to weather.

It's always been a bum launch for me. Work is in full swing by this weekend, but I still get sundays off. The idea of "wives shop men launch" for friday is just stupid and idiotic. Most people are either working, fried from travel or still traveling.

I'd love to see this launch moved right off the holiday weekend personally. granted by now the weather is generally crap, but having a chance to go would be nice. Having it over the holiday weekend, on the busiest day of the year for travel, shopping and just generally everything, is just plain stupid. Of course, the weekend before is opening day....so can we just make it a normal weekend so us Sunday folks can launch? (or go the weekend before and use corn for wadding and hey...that's not technically baiting)

Hey Guys

One request... can we please make it a Saturday/Sunday launch next year? Friday is a normal work day for us Canuckistanians, and 4+ hour drive there, 4+ hour back for just one launch day makes it tough - especially if that one day is scrubbed due to weather.

The BOD has worked out the launch weekends for next year, and 'your with has been granted' November 17th and 18th 2018 . Pre Black Friday Saturday and Sunday Launch. :)

Fat Albert is coming to URRG Black Saturday Launch. Larry is going to prepare a 3 grain 54mm surprise motor for him.

Current weather for nearby Penn Yan looks like this:
38532854192_eba55d6055_b.jpg
Rick your killing me, sadly my season is done.

Hey Dave ya going to pack something tonight once the turkey settles. Bring the camera I hope you are coming out to play. Pack the kids and head out. Sounds like this is the last year for a blk Friday launch I think next year like Greg said it was moved to the weekend before Saturday and Sunday. Tomorrow looks pretty nice. I get out of work at 7 am should be there by 930. Based on the forecast we should be at 18 k all day. Greg ill try and get you something packed tonight 3 groin 54 per your request. Been a while have to sort through some fuel. Sounds like a mystery load. Do you like your rocket. LOL. Living on the edge.

Last edited:
Current weather for nearby Penn Yan looks like this:
38532854192_eba55d6055_b.jpg

Oh sure; I am watching the forecast but I have no idea what the tolerance is for weather out there and with this club. That is more what I was trying to ask.

I'm still not sure what you're asking then.

What is it that Dutch likes to say? "The weather is here and so are we", I think... Basically, unless the field is slop, the conditions are miserable or the wind is bad, we'll be there. At this point in time, none of those things appear to be the case, as far as I've heard.

Hi Team. I have all 194 URRG Membership Id's ready for 2018. Ill have them with me on the field so anyone that wants to renew on the field or pick up their id if they recently paid you will be all set. Thanks for the 2017 support lets fly them hi tomorrow. Oh I guess this morning.

I'm still not sure what you're asking then.

Basically, unless the field is slop, the conditions are miserable or the wind is bad, we'll be there.

That is exactly what I am asking. Thank you.

Some groups scamper at the first drop of rain or when the temperature gets a little hot. This group is new to me so I wanted to ask before hopping in for a long drive.

Looking good so far. Any kind rocketeer up for loaning a stranger a single 54mm Aeropack cap for the day? Or bonus, a single 54mm Cesaroni spacer? The standard break or lose, replace with new, will of course apply.

I have tons of both but the move has my gear spread out across the country.

Teddy you gotta come,
Clayton and I will be there!

OldAmber ???

Is this you Deep ???
Say it ain't so man,, lol...
Tell Clayton I said hi...

You guy's are freakin killin me...
I wish I could go...

Teddy

What a great Day. The weather couldn't have been better for the end of November. Clear skies 18 k all day. We had lots of flights and yes Larry put up two. I guess the record of me not flying for three years won't happen. It felt good to get something in the air. I put the 4 inch mad dog up twice on a 3 grain 54 ex. We had 30 renewals on the field and three new members join. We will have the field open for flying at 9 am sharp tomorrow Saturday the 25th. Get there early and get it up. It was a really fun day I like the off season as many take the time to talk and reflect on the season.

OK, I'm headed to bed early tonight for the last launch day of the year here in NY. URRG2017 Black Saturday.

The BOD has worked out the launch weekends for next year, and 'your with has been granted' November 17th and 18th 2018 . Pre Black Friday Saturday and Sunday Launch. :)

In a word, awesome! Sadly I had to come in to work today...

Today was a great time yes I got another up. The real flight was the last of the year for URRG. Dave Carter put his Saturn 1b up. 75mm center surrounded by 4 54mms. First the center motor Red then air started the 54's yellow. Great flight 8k I heard. someone has video iam sure they will post. It was like 10' tall with crazy nice detail.

Technically, Jackson's rocket was the last one, Dave was second to last... I got a couple of decent shots of it, but I have yet to pull them from the camera. It looks like the burst mode on the camera was buffering out just as the air starts were starting, so it doesn't appear that all 5 motors are visibly burning in the photos.

I managed to get too launches in today before the weather changed on us, plus 4 yesterday. I did get to fly my upscale Astron Cobra on three F15 motors. Riley was kind enough to photograph it for my with my camera while I tracked the flight.

Sorry I missed today, I ended up going home sick after work today.

I went home sick too. I was there and I flew Fat Albert, he literally crashed do to a tangled chute and burned because the experimental smoke tracking grain melted through the heat shield and lit him on fire. :( RIP Fat Albert.

I'll add more details later, but the 4 outboard motors were 38 mm not 54. 3 of 4 lit, with the igniter on the 4th failing to fire despite redundant circuits. I'll try to figure out what happened tomorrow.

Thank you to all who helped get it up in the air! This is my last launch before moving to Australia so it was great to see it finally fly :)

I'll add more details later, but the 4 outboard motors were 38 mm not 54. 3 of 4 lit, with the igniter on the 4th failing to fire despite redundant circuits. I'll try to figure out what happened tomorrow.

Thank you to all who helped get it up in the air! This is my last launch before moving to Australia so it was great to see it finally fly :)
Larry sent me a pic of her loaded on the pad, very nice looking rocket! It has a weathered look from S2 and up. Is that because it is not painted or is that in purpose? Either way I like the look. I looks a bit like Apollo 7 without the full escape tower, and of course no paint from S2 up. I wish I was there just for that and would love to see a video.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Larry sent me a pic of her loaded on the pad, very nice looking rocket! It has a weathered look from S2 and up. Is that because it is not painted or is that in purpose? Either way I like the look. I looks a bit like Apollo 7 without the full escape tower, and of course no paint from S2 up. I wish I was there just for that and would love to see a video.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

That was just an unfinished look. Sadly it isn't really painting season :)

I did have a full escape tower, but there was a handling mishap before bringing it to the field and I wasn't able to get it fixed before flight. And yes, that is the AS-205 Apollo 7 rocket. Good eye!

I went home sick too. I was there and I flew Fat Albert, he literally crashed do to a tangled chute and burned because the experimental smoke tracking grain melted through the heat shield and lit him on fire. :( RIP Fat Albert.

Is there any chance you can repair or resurrect him?

David I forgot you were moving to Australia, well not to worry rocketry has a strong following there too. Say hello to some of my FB friends if you meet them; Blake, Ari and Lela. there are a few more but I believe you'll be in good company there.Hope you enjoy Thunder Down Under too.

I'm really glad you guy's had a great launch..
Good for you man..
Everybody have a wonderful and safe holiday..
Can't wait till next year,, lol..

Teddy

That was just an unfinished look. Sadly it isn't really painting season :)

I did have a full escape tower, but there was a handling mishap before bringing it to the field and I wasn't able to get it fixed before flight. And yes, that is the AS-205 Apollo 7 rocket. Good eye!

I just realized that this is the "Another Saturn 1B" build rocket...great build thread, and nice to see it launch!

Back